Night hot flashes-new since surgery

ksflwr
on 11/14/16 2:51 pm

I am 10 months post-op VSG and am experiencing hot flashes at night the last couple of months.  I had a hysterectomy at age 36-am now 76, and down almost 100 (177 now) pounds since heaviest weight 2 years ago.  The hot flashes are something I haven't experienced in years.  I'm wondering if this is something others (older ladies, of course;>) are experiencing.  Maybe they were always there, just hiding in the fat I no longer have?

Donna L.
on 11/14/16 3:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Likely it's hormones flooding your body, however there are other concerns, too.  Hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer can also cause hot flashes in post-menopausal women, for instance.  It is good to consult a doctor just in case.  Many endocrine tumors also secrete hormones that change the body's delicate balance, or have symptoms that manifest like hot flashes. While they are very rare, it is prudent to rule them out.  Hormones, hyperthyroidism or something like alcohol, caffeine, medications, etc, would be more likely, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ksflwr
on 11/14/16 4:40 pm

Thanks, Donna,  I've been drinking decaf tea and coffee and no alcohol.  Only meds are the bariatric vitamins and 150 mg doxycyclin for rosacia, which I've taken for several years.  Guess I'd best get my thyroid checked out.  I haven't had bloodwork done since surgery.  My surgeon said when I inquired at my last 6 mo. visit he doesn't usually do sleeve bloodwork, only his rny patients.  I don't see him again until the end of January.  I haven't had any problems with the surgery other than the new night hot flashes, , which may not have anything to do with the surgery.

AK_Gipson
on 11/14/16 5:25 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I get hot if I eat to much or to fast.  considering I am always cold, I can tell the difference. I start yelling turn the ac on as I go to the bathroom to take off my many layers of clothes. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

roxytrim
on 11/15/16 4:28 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Thought I was the only one!  Had my hysto when I was 45 - no sweat (hehe), after my WLS at 55, I get them all the time.  Who says you can't roll back time? 

I just keep a sweater handy and get ready to strip down as need be.

White Dove
on 11/15/16 5:02 am - Warren, OH

A few pumps daily from a bottle of progesterone cream will take care of the hot flashes.  They come because estrogen stored in your fat flooded your system.  Progesterone cream is at the health store.  Doctors do not prescribe it because it is just a natural remedy.

Give the cream a few weeks and the problem will be gone.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ksflwr
on 11/15/16 7:08 am

Thank you!  I will do that.  I didn't know I had any hormones left after all these years of everything being removed, including gall bladder, (appendix and ulcerated right ovary at age 15) and 3 RH sons before I was 24.  We all survived that.  I figure I'll survive this if I just follow instructions with lots of good advice from OH?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views