Depression

Horselover1998
on 11/22/16 4:30 pm

I'm 6 days post op, and yesterday I hit a wall of depression. I'm on meds for depression anyway, but I feel like my meds just gave out, and today's no better. I'm barely eating, drinking or moving. I have many hobbies but none seems appealing right now. I live alone, far from any family. I used to eat through my bouts of depression, but now I can't. Any suggestions from people who've been in my shoes for breaking out of my funk? I hate feeling like this. 

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whosever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

diane S.
on 11/22/16 5:06 pm

please see your med provider for possible dose adjustment. And try to find a way to be good to yourself during those bad times like a good hot tea and nice music or flowers. You are probably just post surgery tired and it may correct itself in a bit. Any form of exercise is a mood lifter so moderate walking might be good for you.  Best wishes and check in again.  Diane S

Ps, are your meds timed released? That might make a difference in how they are working for you. I have taken several kinds and still do.  

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Horselover1998
on 11/22/16 5:12 pm

Not sure if they're time released or not, but for maybe 3 days post op I had been crushing them. I talked to my doctor and she said I could stop crushing them, just in case that was the problem. Even my post op weight loss doesn't seem to lift my mood. I'm down at least 10 lbs since my surgery 6 days ago...

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whosever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

diane S.
on 11/22/16 5:17 pm

Hmmm, I just thought maybe timed released might be getting them through your system  faster. So sorry you still don't feel right and hope its just post surgery anesthetic stuff or something. I personally was elated after my surgery as I had to fight insurance company to get it. Do what you can to be happy and don't hesitate to adjust meds if needed. I did many times before surgery before finding the right combo. Don't give up. Best wishes.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

yvonnef1964
on 11/22/16 5:20 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I had to have an increase in one of my depression meds after surgery. It helped alot. Hope the best to you.

Donna L.
on 11/22/16 6:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you have significant weight loss, hormones can flood the body and cause mood swings.  I had horrifying depressive mood swings and thought I was going insane.  It turns out it was my estrogen levels surging.  

Depression is easiest to get through with support - meds or no.  I would immediately talk to a psychiatrist and find a counselor.  I did that myself ASAP post-op and it really helped a ton.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Anita
on 11/22/16 10:38 pm

I don't have any answer greater than what everyone else has already written. Did not have to deal with these issues post surgery, but have worked through depression at other times. The only thing I can add is that it's good that you are verbalizing your feelings. Talking about it won't make it go away, but at least you know that you aren't alone.....we are here for you in whatever small way we can help.

Please speak with your medical team....do not suffer needlessly......help is there for you, whether it's an adjustment to your meds or meeting with a professional. Be kind to yourself.....there might not be another person in the room with you, but you aren't alone. I don't know where you live, but getting outside in the fresh air might help to clear your head of some of the funk. When I went through my depression, I used to go brush my horses - even on days when I couldn't saddle up and go for a ride....somehow they understood my mood and it helped make me feel better.

Great job on the weight loss!

Wishing you peace in your head and your heart.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

rissa1224
on 11/23/16 5:20 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

First off, congrats with being on the losers bench! You have made the best decision of your life. Secondly, I am sorry you are feeling blue. I don't have experience with depression, but, if you maybe need a laugh, go on youtube and watch 'people falling'. Sometimes, when I feel down, I jus****ch videos like that, or silly animals, and it makes me laugh. Hang in there!

Rachel B.
on 11/23/16 5:50 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

For what it's worth...  How is your sleep?  Poor sleep can be the first culprit to mood changes.  Are you giving yourself good self care?  If not, please do.  Like someone else said above: flowers, tea...  I would add luxurious showers with nice smelling soaps and shampoos, and relaxing oils next to the bed at night are wonderful ways to care for yourself.  Even putting fresh sheets on the bed!  One thing I often find myself saying on a daily basis, and I know how hard this really can be when you are in the dumps, is take a 7 to 10 minute walk.  In 7 to 10 minutes your body starts releasing the feel good endorphins, which will help to elevate your mood.  As far as meds go, if you've been on the same dose for a long time, then yea, it may be time to bump them.  But if this is only new since the surgery, it is more than likely transient, and again as someone said above, due to fatigue from the huge cut in intake of calories and fluids.  If you're suicidal, or become suicidal at anytime, please call immediately for help.  We don't want to lose you!  If you need anyone to talk to, we're here!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

AMAZEBALLS
on 11/23/16 7:34 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics