I finally made my first appointment and feel nervous but excited...

Readyjwc
on 12/23/16 2:42 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi from NH:

That's awesome - how did the meeting go?

I had a goal weight I needed to meet before I could go to the surgeon. I finally made it - lost 2 lbs more than needed.  The thing is: you have to stay at that weight!  I met the surgeon yesterday and was still the same (yahoo). Once insurance approves surgery - I'll be back in there again and will be weighed again. I'll get my surgery date at that point.  Will be in January unless insurance slows it down.

In NH they are very stringent that you lose weight before the surgery and that you keep it off. My surgeon states that the more you lose the better it is for him.

Talk soon.  Congrats for taking the first step.

Jan

Shawney1
on 12/11/16 11:51 am

So happy for you!!! I once felt the same way about 15 years ago when my sister decided to have the RNY surgery.....Here I am almost two decades later, waiting for the same surgeon to call me for my long awaited surgery date!! I'm so excited, and I wish you the best!!!

LostStar
on 12/11/16 12:42 pm

Thank you so much!!! It's so great to find a place like this, a place where so many people are there to say 'Hey, I did it and so can you' or 'I'm right there with you!'.

I've already been asked by two people, 'So, why now?' I really don't know. I'm forty-one, and yes, doing it at thirty would've been better, but like you probably, we just weren't mentally there yet. If I may ask, was your sister able to keep her weight off all this time? Also, how long have you been waiting to get to this point from your initial consultation date? Please, please, please, don't tell me two decades ;-) 

Cathy H.
on 12/11/16 4:27 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Go for it, Lost Star!!  It took me 10 years to make the decision, and I finally got serious about it 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes.  Scared me to death, so I started the process of changing my diet, and then decided it was time.  I knew VSG was the right surgery for me because portion control was my problem.  I am 56, will be 57 next month and had my surgery on Halloween.  The only regret I have is that I didn't do it when I was your age!!  So many years wasted, but so many great ones ahead (and hopefully more than I would have had now that I will be healthier!).  

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

LostStar
on 12/14/16 2:05 pm

That's so great to hear you had it done. It's encouraging to see others in my shoes, leading the way. I try not to think about why I didn't have it done sooner because that's a trigger to some seriously negative thinking--and negative thinking weights me down heavier than mashed potatoes on Christmas Day. I'm still new to this board and trying to figure out the ins and outs of things, but I'll head to your page and read your progress. Yay, you!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views