I finally made my first appointment and feel nervous but excited...

LostStar
on 12/10/16 10:36 pm

So, I did it. I did what I thought I'd never do. I made an appointment on January 11, 2017, to meet with the surgeon--the man who will save my life. I'm one of those people who swore they'd never get bariatric surgery. If anyone would ask, I could ramble out dozens of negative side effects in ten seconds or less. I knew them all. I knew them because they kept me safely hidden away, inside my own disguise where I've been safe for the better part of twenty years. I'm a professional yoyo dieter. I've lost a hundred or more pounds several times, and once even kept it off for six months.

But it always comes back.

Always.

So, if you're still reading this you may want to know...'What changed this chick's mind?' Well, as I sit here typing away, I honestly feel like I'm on the verge of a heart attack.So that's one. I'm too proud to go to the doctor to find out if the pain in my chest is serious, or indigestion. Wait, scratch that. I'm not proud, but afraid. I don't want to be weighed. I don't want to hear the same old spiel or the worried look the doctor always has in her eyes when staring at me from across the room. I'm tired of seeing myself through the eyes of others. I'm tired of the constant back aches and extreme pain just walking up the stairs to go to bed...because I will not go upstairs any other time of the day unless absolutely necessary. I'm tired of being forty-one and wasting the last of my young years by hiding on the couch, away from the world's cold and cruel judgement.

I'm just tired.

Fourteen years ago I beat cancer. Now it's time to save myself again. So, on January 11, 2017 I'm hoping that will be my first of many appointments. I'm hoping I can have this surgery done as soon as possible and start complaining about shake flavors and having to buy smaller clothes--you know, the important stuff. I'm ready to discover the person I've tried so hard to hide for so long. So, yeah, I once was lost, but soon I'll be found. Soon.

cappy11448
on 12/11/16 5:28 am

I am so happy for you.  I can totally relate!  I waited until I was in my 60's and nearly 400 pounds before I had the courage to have the surgery.  And I was driven by a realization that I was stuck in a downward spiral of more and more loss of mobility, more and more isolation and an early death.  So I did it and I am so happy I did. 

I lost 225 pounds in 18 months, and I'm now maintaining at 162 pounds, a normal BMI.  What a difference it will make for you.  I am so happy for you.  You are going to be so happy you made this decision.

By the way, the surgery was a piece of cake for me.  The process of getting accustomed  to  my new tummy was harder, but always manageable. It isn't an easy process, but it was always do-able.  And it really works, if you follow the plan. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LostStar
on 12/11/16 7:03 am

Thank you so much for responding, Carol. Wow, 162 pounds. It seems surreal to even hope to be under 250, let along in the 100's. I haven't seen the 100's since I was twenty-six. I'm not as worried about the surgery day, although I probably will be when it gets closer. I'm more thinking about that first month post-op. I'm really comfortable with the low carb way of eating, since that's always been my go to plan while dieting.

But that first month of being on a solely liquid diet, then mushy food, I don't know. It sort of freaks me out. Did you puree your food or go straight hard core to baby food? And getting adjusted to the new stomach, is there a lot of throwing up involved? I know, I shouldn't even think about it. That's how I got through my cancer and chemotherapy. Don't think, just do.

cappy11448
on 12/12/16 1:06 pm

The first months of liquid diet and then soft foods was no problem for me.  I really didn't want to eat for months.  Eating became a chore to keep me healthy rather than a pleasure of life.  but the body chemistry changes and its different than just choosing to diet.  There was a point at maybe 6 weeks out where the thought of food made me queasy -  I held everything down, but eating just wasn't appealing.  But that passed, and I enjoy food again. 

Also, my program skipped the pureed stage.  They had us go from full liquid to eating soft solids and chewing really well.  We didn't have any problems with this.  I'm glad because the thought of pureed foods was not appealing to me.

best of luck with your decision.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 12/11/16 9:36 am - Warren, OH

Please go to an emergency room and get the chest pain checked out.  I started having chest pain last December.  The doctor thought it was indigestion.  One month on a pill did not help and he gave me a stronger one.  After three months of pills, he told me to go to the ER and get checked out.

I had a triple bypass.  My arteries were clogged.  It took them three days to find it. 

Chest pain is not worth fooling around with.  Get help and I do hope it is indigestion in your case.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LostStar
on 12/11/16 12:48 pm

You know, White Dove. I'm the world's worst patient, but now I think it's time to actually see someone. We're currently in a blizzard at the moment, but I plan on going to my doctor, or any doctor, tomorrow morning. I've always had normal to low blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol. I was checked even six months ago and everything was good. I have a sneaky suspicion this is because of my cpap machine, since the symptoms happened when I started using it, but I really don't want to have a massive heart attack before looking hot one last time. 

This is a dumb question, but can a person with a history of a healthy blood pressure have a massive heart attack? I'm sure it must be possible, has to be, but I thought blood pressure is an indicator of how hard the heart is working due to arteries being clogged. I've tried googling it but everything talks about high blood pressure. 

Readyjwc
on 12/11/16 10:31 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Congratulations! The first step is done.  The harder one is to come but I'm confident that you can do it.  I, too, never thought that bariatric surgery was going to even remotely be an option for me. Then came the high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, and peri menopause. I want off the meds and to be healthy again.  Now, do to all of the testing required, I have found out that I have sleep apnea.  I hate, HATE, the cpap machine. Just can't get used to it.  I want off this as well.

So, on 12/22 I meet my surgeon.  One part of this process is complete. Now onto bigger and better things....my life. My life without big portions, lots of sugar, and carbs.  Not a huge price to pay for getting rid of drugs and a breathing machine. I need to lose 87 lbs and I know I will.

You've made a great decision. Listen to what the doctor has to say. Keep reading this site as it is soooo informative and the people are great. Take one step at a time.

Post back after your apt and let us know how it went.

LostStar
on 12/11/16 12:37 pm

Wow, good for you! It sounds like we're in this together. I could've had an appointment for this Wednesday, but I realized they made it with a different doctor. So, the doctor I want (Dr. Prachand) is booked out until January 11th.

But, oh my gosh, I hate that dreaded cpap machine. I have a sneaky suspicion it's the reason why I've been feeling so terrible lately. I'm out of breath with crazy heart palpitations, and it all started when I went back on that machine. When I went to a cpap board, I found these symptoms are common side effects for awhile. It's called lazy lungs and my lungs are trying to get used to breathing without the assistance of my machine during the day. I don't know, maybe my pressure is too high.

I hope I'll be able to get off this machine one day. I wake up more now trying to keep the nose pillows (I hate that phrase) in place. Sometimes the air is going straight into my mouth and I often wake up with a bloated and extended stomach, completely out of breath when walking to the bathroom. This is my third mask and it's been the best one yet, but I'm beginning to think this is just how it is for us small nosed side sleepers.

I can't wait to hear how your appointment goes. Is your initial appointment a several hour one, consisting of a meeting with the psychologist, dietician, and surgeon? 

Readyjwc
on 12/18/16 10:03 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi there:

I know about that mask - I'm a mouth breather and a side sleeper.  Just can't do it.  At this point, I think I'd rather die in my sleep (teasing). 

My apt. is just with the surgeon. I have to meet with him once and then on the day of surgery.

I have to still be at my goal weight and I'm 1.5 lbs over. Hoping it will come off by Thursday.

Anywho, fingers crossed for you. I'll let you know how things go.

Waiting anxiously to throw away bottles of meds and return that machine!

Jan

LostStar
on 12/18/16 10:36 am

Oh, guess what? I actually was able to get a December 21st appointment! So I go on Wednesday for my three hour 'interview' meeting and begin the process. I'm so excited I could burst with confetti!

When you say you still are a 1.5 pounds over your goal weight, what's that? Is this a personal goal or something a physician has set for you? I swear, I have an early onset of mad cow disease, so I'm sorry if you explained this earlier, but I'll go back to read and will find out in the mean time.

You know what's funny? All these messages we send back and forth on this board, our first steps towards our new life, are forever immortalized here on this board. Here we sit, stressing and sweating over about getting our surgeries sooner, our appointments faster...oh the agony! And some person in three years will see our tiny little pictures ( I still need to upload mine) next to our names and will see these are just words of the past because our faces are already slim and the time stamp says several years ago, which means we're already in the maintenance phase of this journey.

Having said that, I want my surgery now!!! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views