Help

beckers80
on 12/20/16 2:33 am

I was sleeved in 2014 lost about 65lbs and have been stuck since then. In fact even gained some. I'm always hungry, when I eat I always eat protein first, after a little I'm full.. 1/2 hour late I'm hungry again. 

How to get back to where I need to be. Start over with liquid diet, protein shake?

rocky513
on 12/20/16 5:21 am - WI

You can and will gain weight if you are eating too much food even if that food is "healthy".  You need to measure everything you eat and then stop eating (no second helpings, even if t tastes like heaven!) .  

If you eat a very small, protein forward, meal (no more than 1 cup of food) every 3 or 4 hours you should not feel real, physical, hunger.  You may be mistaking head hunger for real hunger.  Eating by the clock is a good way to try to gain control back.  Anyone can wait 3 or 4 hours until their next meal.  Don't give in to the cravings.  Hunger is NOT and EMERGENCY requiring immediate action!  Nothing bad will happen to you if you choose not to eat at the first sign of hunger.  You can make yourself wait until the next scheduled meal time to eat.  Most of us have impulse control issues.  We say "I want" and cave into that desire before we think through the consequences.  Forcing yourself to wait will also give you time to reflect on why you want to eat.  You have the control...the food does not control you.

You also should NEVER rely on your stomach to tell you if you are full. The absence of the full sensation does not mean you are hungry. My stomach has lied to me my entire life and lead me right down the path to obesity.  I used that full feeling as a crutch.  It was comfort to me.  If you eat until you feel full, you have eaten too much.  We need to train ourselves to measure out our portions and be satisfied with that amount of food.  I am a food addict, therefore, I have no idea what a proper portion looks like and I can not trust myself to "eyeball" it.  I am going on 7 years out from RNY and still measure my food because I know I will over eat if I don't.  It has been vital to my success.

You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Gwen M.
on 12/20/16 7:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you eating?  Give us a few days of meal plans so we can troubleshoot.   (I assume you're tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal?)  

For me, if I start getting hungry, it's a sign of acid.  I can take a course of Nexium (2-weeks) and my hunger goes away.  I've had to do this twice post-op.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

beckers80
on 3/14/18 10:30 am

Thanks, I starting using shakes again and cravings have been reduced a lot! I also reached out to my NUT and tracking my cal, carbs, protein and fat. Some days are great, some days I'm more hungry than usual.

I need to remember to STAY OFF the scale.

b4dawncindy
on 3/14/18 3:01 pm

Hey Beckers, I'm four years out with a 30 pound weight gain and starting back to the basics again as well. WE can do this!

Unfortunately my daily reward and what I look most forward to is that darn scale also and I need to stop! I realize that my weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds daily, water weight, etc. but how depressing when it's not lower every morning lol! Trying to wean myself off of that scale on a daily basis!

Wishing you (and me) and everyone else encouragement and support. Thank God for this website!

beckers80
on 3/15/18 3:40 am

Hi b4dawncindy, I couldn't agree more with you. Thank goodness for this site. The struggle is so real, and I find it easy going back to the basic however i really need to stay off the scale cause my calories have been under 1000 and It went up and staying there. Some days I feel like I could eat horse and other days I could probably eat an ant. hope that is normal too I would think if I eat too much one day and not enough the next it would even itself out.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Stacy_WLS
on 12/20/16 7:34 am

I'm sorry -- this sounds terrible.  

Have you looked into therapy or OA?  Addiction is hard and getting past the physical part is only a small piece.  Grazing or eating many times a day will make any weight loss surgery tool fail.  

I'd recommend as the previous poster said, eating by the clock.  Only eat 3 meals (or 3 meals and 2 snacks - whatever works for you) and that its!  If it isn't on the schedule you don't eat.  find other things to fill your time.  But I'd also definitely recommend looking into OA or therapy.  they can help!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

beckers80
on 3/14/18 10:29 am, edited 3/14/18 3:29 am

Hi Sorry I haven't been on, what is OA?

Gwen M.
on 3/14/18 10:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Overeaters Anonymous.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rachelp
on 12/20/16 8:04 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Track everything you eat on my fitness pal app to see where you are at. You probably are eating too many calories or carbs which is causing more cravings. If you aren't drinking enough water, thirst can mimic hunger. Start over by eating meat and veggies only. Eliminate all carbs.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Most Active