New member. Surgery scheduled for 1/17

GingerX
on 12/21/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi all! I'm scheduled for VSG in January. My insurance coverage for bariatric surgery is a joke (BMI 40 with two co-morbidities for 5 years or no co-morbidities and BMI of 50)  After yo-yo-ing for decades and reaching an all time high BMI of 37/38 with sleep apnea and pre-diabetes, I decided to self-pay my VSG. In two weeks I'm going to a Bariatric Center of Excellence in Mexico for a third what it would cost where I live. The physician I chose is US trained, board certified and does the surgery at a surgery center that meets JCI standards. My primary care doc fully supports my decision, will help manage my care after surgery along with a nutritionist and a local support group and I can follow up with my surgeon without air travel.

As far as which surgery to have, metabolic syndrome runs rampant in my family (and I'm pre-diabetic) so VSG made the most sense to me after I read this article. http://healthnews.uc.edu/news/?/24172/

rachelp
on 12/22/16 7:28 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Welcome! We have a very strong support system here so you are in the right place. Keep us posted on what's going on. If you have any questions just ask or search it because it probably has been asked before. The search is in the top right corner. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!! 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Joshua H.
on 12/22/16 8:11 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Hey GingerX -- welcome to the board and congrats on making this decision for yourself.  I'm not quite 2 months out from my VSG and am very happy with my decision thus far.  Sorry to hear your insurance wasn't playing nice with you.

Your date will be here before you know it!