1 week post op and mood swings.

Brynnirene
on 1/5/17 1:11 pm
VSG on 12/29/16

Well. It's been a week, a very tough week. I hate the liquid diet, everything is starting to taste awful.. But I'm very excited for my future to come. The cravings are crazy though, mood swings, etc. I've been very cranky and mood swings through the week, has anyone else had this problem? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/17 1:30 pm, edited 1/5/17 1:14 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I can relate to mood swings.  According to my NP so many hormonal/physcial changes have taken place due to surgery. Also major psychological changes have and are occurring as well. I am 11 weeks out and I still have mood swings. Before surgery I learned some great coping mechanisms, one of which is sitting with my feelings and experiencing them fully instead of running away and eating through them.  Practicing this has helped me a lot.  It's okay to feel what you are feeling.  I also journal, talk them out, listen to music, work out, walk, etc.

The liquid diet was so mundane and sickening. The taste in my mouth from ketosis was horrible.  Everything tasted gross.  Before you know it you will be on regular foods.  Hang in there!!!    

Jmccpnp
on 1/5/17 1:34 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

This too shall pass. I remember all to well how horrible I felt for the first couple of weeks. I started feeling better once I could have more than just clear liquids. I remember posting about it and getting a lot of feedback about how normal it was to be miserable. I warned my friend in preparation for her bypass surgery. It didn't matter. When she went through it she thought she was losing it. She called me to discuss her anger and shock at how she felt. It is normal and it does pass. Stay strong and best wishes.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/5/17 2:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Behold the notorious post-op "hormone dump!"

Our bodies store estrogen in our fat cells, so when you lose a lot of weight, all of those extra hormones go flooding into your system. Add being sore from surgery and going through the mental trip of surgery, and it's no wonder you're having a rough time.

The good news: it gets better. The hormones slow down, you can adjust to your new way of life, you eventually get to eat real food again, and life finds a new normal. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Anita
on 1/5/17 3:45 pm

yup.......I think just about everyone has experienced something or other.....I didn't have mood swings. I live alone, so I don't know if I was being cranky or not.....only my plants know..........but my boyfriend said I wasn't crabby when he was here 4 days out of the first 7. It's probably the change in your body, getting rid of the anesthesia, the very low calories, the stinky liquid diet (that'll be done soon  ), the trying to get comfortable, the concern about what's next...........all sorts of stuff.

Don't get upset with yourself......walk and sip, walk and sip and then take some nice deep breaths.......this too shall pass soon. Things will taste funny for a while, but that will pass too. Once you start to see your body transform, those mood swings will go in the opposite direction.

Hang in there....it gets better....and once you start on those wonderful purees..............ahhhhhhhhhhhh Nirvana!!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

jachristmas
on 1/5/17 5:41 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I am 3 weeks post op and know how you feel but it does get better. The liquid diet was tough for me too, especially because I lost enough weight preop that I had a regular diet right up till surgery.Every shake I drank the head hunger got worse..I just wanted to chew something and I was very cranky about it, but I made it through and so will you. Once you can have soft or pureed food you really do start to feel better. Hang in there, it will pass before you know it. I already feel so much better and can't imagine how much better there is to come.

Kathy1212
on 1/6/17 8:29 pm

Congratulations on being 1 week post-op! 

I'm sorry you're feeling out of sorts; hopefully it will pass soon.  I'm pre-op and start my liquid diet next week.

Kathy

1halfafriedman
on 1/7/17 10:18 am
VSG on 12/27/16

Were you still taking pain meds through the first week? coming off of them?  I had VSG on 12/27/16 and took dilaudid at home for 5 days.  I have had a few really rough days since stopping.  I imagine some of it is the drugs/stopping the drugs, but there were definitely mood swings in there too!  Smelling and watching my husband and son eat real food made me angry.  I spent the first several days saying "I did it... I really did it!", then it turned to "holy **** I really did it and I can't undo it!".  I agree with the poster who said to be alone with your feelings and be with them, work through them.  I think the best thing I did was to take my water bottle and get on the treadmill and walk, be alone with my thoughts and moods and try to remind myself how much better life was going to be.  I also spent a lot of time on here reading all the positive posts by real people who had been through it and survived to say it was the best thing they had ever done for themselves.  I am only 11 days out and know I'll have more bumps in the road but will hang on to that - "the best thing I've ever done for myself" - totally worth it!  Hang in there - we'll make it!!

Brynnirene
on 1/9/17 10:55 am
VSG on 12/29/16

I was on pain meds for the 3 days I was in the hospital, I had morphine the first night but I only used the button once, so they took me off. Oxi the second day but it made me sick to my stomach so I didn't take it again. So they put me on liquid Tylenol the 2nd night and the morning of day three before being released. I hope you are doing well post op!

Most Active