Angry brain and protein battle (aka Lisa enjoys a large glass of whine)

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 1:26 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

This place I'm in is surreal. It's like someone flipped a switch and I'm on Mars. (Whine alert: Skip this next part if you don't have the patience.) I had to have this operation for health reasons (didn't we all), not because I would've chosen it. It was pressed on me by my doctors. Like, if you don't do this there'll be consequences and you aren't going to be okay with them. And I agreed with them. I was/am in dire straits and it didn't look like it was going to get better any time soon. But still, this is never something I would've chosen to do if I had any other workable option, which I seriously didn't. They gave me almost two years to make changes on my own and it never happened. In fact I was getting worse. Now I've done the responsible thing and have to find a way to adapt to my new body and new life and hope for the best.

But here's what it feels like out of the gate. I watch those dog rescue vids on YouTube occasionally because I love the endings where the pup is saved and well again. If you know the ones I mean, the part where the rescuers have to corner and capture the dog in order to feed and help it, and they've got it backed up in a corner and it's so sick and terrified, and inevitably they'll bring the long stick in with the loop at the end to put around the dog's neck so it won't bolt while they're trying to befriend it. Without fail the moment that loop is placed the dog will go bugnutz. It jumps snarling and growling, rolling over and over in an attempt to free itself. That's what my brain is doing right now.

In the hospital it was occupied with not dying. It knew something was taken from it and things were suddenly terribly wrong. It set to work keeping me upright and regulating to account for the loss. Now it's recovered from that stage it's decided it's royally ticked off and wants a cheeseburger. Someone is going to pay. Dark black angry moods alternating with Trapped Flipping Dog Syndrome. 

In other news I can't get my protein in for love or money. Never hungry. Valiantly trying. Conflicting info. For example I have neutral protein powder here, comes with a scoop. One scoop equals ten grams. I'm supposed to get who knows how many of those in a day. 8-10 from what I've read? In one sitting I can get in one, and I'm only supposed to be eating three meals a day. So I'm taking in about 30g of protein now, much less than required.

MAN a little info from the people who suggested this operation and did the actual deed would've been really good right about now. I am thankful for the people who've shared and continue to share their plans with me. Priceless. It just turns out the devil of the moment is in the execution. 

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 1:33 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Lisa, the one thing I can recommend now is find a liquid protein you like and just sip sip sip at that and water as much as you can.  I wish you were in the states.  I'm glad you found us here.  You didn't answer, are you military?  German citizen?  Do you have access to things like Premier Protein pre-made shakes?  Health food stores that have concentrated protein products?  What brands have you been able to find?  Help us help you.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 1:55 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi Rachel, not military. American. No access to Premier protein shakes. No health food stores with bariatric products. Looking on German amazon I see they do have a few protein shakes. How can I easily tell the ones I need from the ones designed for body builders to gain weight? Did you analyze each product for content? I bookmarked a page last night listing what to look for. If that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do.

I don't know what it is about the protein I have now but it's majorly bulky with the consistency of mashed potatoes if I mix it with 100mL of 1% milk as directed. To clarify, some of the drinks I just saw have high protein counts. If I mixed my protein up with similar amount of liquid I'm quite certain I could brick a house with it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/17 2:11 pm

If nothing else - you can get eggs right? 2 eggs =14 great proteins. Once you advance to full liquids - make homemade eggdrop soup - then blend some more - drink it. 

Lots of muscle builders use whey protein - low carb & low fat. 

Avoid any that have more than 5gr if carbs for 20 great of proteins per serving. Initially you want to stay away from too much fiber. Fiber =thick...You want more watery -thin consistency. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lisa.17
on 1/15/17 2:18 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Yes! I don't know if I'm supposed to be on the liquid phase or not but one of the first plans shared with me said during week two you can have soft scrambled egg. I had one last night before going to bed and I'm sorry for the rest of you but that was the best egg on the planet. I went to bed feeling like I might not die after all. lol

Info noted, ty!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/17 7:18 pm

Bez Very careful with scrambled eggs.  For as lot of us that sits really heavy during first few weeks or even months.  If you make them - make them really soft and on a "wet" side. Butter helps everything go down easier. 

Too many eggs may cause some .. sulphur like smelling farts.. (rotten eggs) That may indicate your body has a limit how many eggs per day you can have... 

Good luck.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

theAntiChick
on 1/15/17 2:21 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Oh, just saw your note about consistency - you can mix the powders with whatever amount of liquid you want.  More liquid gets it thinner and easier to drink, just more quantity.  Less gets you something closer to pudding.  In fact, some of my powders came with instructions to use 1/2 the liquid to make pudding on purpose.

A resource I depended on heavily early on is EggFace's blog.  She has recipes for all sorts of protein stuff.  She also advocates what she calls "double milk"  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/05/liqui d-phase-for-post-weight-loss.html (1/2 way down the page) which is nonfat dry milk powder mixed into regular milk.  The blender is your friend.  :)  Eggface I think had RNY, but a lot of the basics on the diet progression are similar.

Hope that helps.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:16 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I've been mixing up small batches of protein shake to drink one by one. Got the bright idea tonight to try mixing three servings at once then blending and voilá it worked. (100mL of 1.5% milk, 3-4 dice sized cubes of raw mango, 10g protein powder) Thin consistency, easier to drink plus I've got two servings waiting in the fridge for me tomorrow. Success.

I swear I'm slow as molasses in winter but I'll get there eventually!

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

OH & you could mix your protein with yogurt, pudding...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:19 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Tried it with joghurt and it was ghastly. As for low-fat/sugar free pudding, haven't seen that yet on my shopping trips but keeping an eye out for it. Have a nutritionist appointment this Thursday and going to ask her where in the world people in this town buy bariatric/diet food. They're certainly hiding it well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views