3 days post op and scared!!

btownk
on 1/23/17 2:00 pm

Thank you, your reply gives me hope!   I feel much better about the decision today.

Sai F.
on 1/23/17 9:33 am
VSG on 09/02/16

You'll be able to go out to restaurants, and unlike the band there are no restrictions as to what is tolerated. However, some people don't feel well if they eat greasy foods or high sugar foods... Etc. I'm not one of them, unfortunately lol (iron stomach) so I have to just make conscious healthy choices. 

Do you have a food plan from your surgeon that suggests what you should eat at different stages? Every surgeon is different. My plan was full liquids for 24 hrs, and then liquids like protein shakes after that for one or 2 weeks, then progress to pureed foods for another week or so. On the 5th week, I was cleared for everything as long as I could tolerate it, introducing one new food at a time just to test if I could tolerate it and not get confused with the other food.

Mental/emotional hunger is something I have to deal with as well. Just make sure you take your antacid 2x a day so you can eliminate the possibility of acid causing fake hunger.

Congratz on your surgery!

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

btownk
on 1/23/17 2:02 pm

Yes, I do have the plan and am so looking forward to stage 2. lol.  Mental hunger is definitely something I'm fighting.  It's so hard.  Thank-you though for the support!

Erin T.
on 1/23/17 1:39 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I was sleeved two days before you and had a really rough first 48 hours with vomiting. I made a post very similar to this and was just freaking out. I'm feeling a little better each day, but I really have to concentrate on staying hydrated and getting some rest (a nap if my body says take it and bed at a reasonable hour) otherwise my emotional state goes downhill FAST. 

Right now I'm so sick of protein shakes. I could literally just hang out and not eat anything until I hit the puree'd stage late next week and I think I'd be fine. But, of course that's not feasible, so I'm sipping them over the course of 90 minutes twice per day and really enjoying the 3rd "meal" of cream soup/yogurt, just because it's not the same damn thing! 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

btownk
on 1/23/17 1:58 pm

Thank-you for the encouraging words.  I hope you are doing well too.  I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

btownk
on 1/23/17 2:09 pm

Thank-you all for taking the time out ot offer all the positive replies and encouraging words.  I don't have anyone close be who has been through this.  So grateful for this forum!  Thank-you again.

AD_Jordan
on 1/23/17 2:14 pm

I remember thinking "WHAT THE HELLO KITTY HAVE I DONE?!" around the time they took me from the Recovery area to my room.

They call it "Head Hunger" when your mind wants to eat.  You can ask yourself "Am I ACTUALLY hungry, or do I just THINK I want to eat?"

My surgeon's office has a very conservative program. I was sleeved in 11/16, and just went to Unrestricted Textures (All regular food) a few weeks ago (in January).  Other programs have different requirements. YMMV.

You'll be able to find things to eat if you decide to go out. You're looking for nutrient-dense proteins (meat, eggs). If your program has a dietician, they can help you pick out the best items to look for on the menu.

There was a point where I didn't think it would get better. It did. Much better. And when I hit a snag, I call over to the office and ask for pointers to get through the issue.

Good Luck!

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Beth C.
on 1/23/17 3:07 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

I am the same day as you. My Doc requires a clear liquid diet week 1 then 2/3 is full liquids, then finally purée food. I just sat down to the table as my fam had a chicken dinner and was like Oh no!! I did liquids 2 weeks pr op, this will make 5 weeks no food!! 

I started to say no no way I can't, and stopped myself. I made a cup of Chickem soup flavored unjury protein and am sipping as I write. You just like me took a journey to get us here and we can do this, as we go day by day we will feel better have a routine and as the scale moves we will be thankful we hung in there. 

You Got this!!! The anxiety is normal as is the head hunger but we will be stronger for the challenge we face. 

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

Readyjwc
on 1/26/17 3:45 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi

I got sleeved on 1/23. My stomach muscles ache. I haven't been able to get in all my water or protein yet. On top of that, my scale says I'm 9 lbs heavier than on the day of surgery.

Don't panic.  You'll be able to go out to eat again. You'll just have to make smart choices.

I'm not hungry either but I'm trying to eat by the clock and sip sip sip my water.

You'll be fine....really.  You've just gone through surgery and have started a new way of looking at food.

Good luck.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

btownk
on 1/28/17 6:14 pm

Hi,

im feeling much better about the decision it was The right thing to do for me.   I hope you are also doing well. I'm trying to get all my water and protein shakes. And I am now on puréed foods. 

It's hard to think that I will be able to do all the water protein and eat puréed foods 3 to 4 times a day just doesn't seem like there's gonna be enough time in the day! But I guess it'll get better so I just keep sipping sipping .

The head is very real and hard, how are you doing with it? It's such a struggle for me, because I really want some food but I can't eat it!  

I really wish you well and if you need to talk just message me I'm here!

stay strong,