Nothing tastes good

Rubydoo11917
on 2/4/17 9:05 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Looking for suggestions for my liquid phase. Seems like everything I have been using, no longer tastes good to me. At this point I am forcing everything, because I can't stand the taste. This is making it next to impossible to me my 64 oz. fluids and 60-100 g of protein. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rachel B.
on 2/4/17 10:13 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I'm in ketosis, and often everything has an odd, blunted, taste. What have you been using??

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Rubydoo11917
on 2/5/17 5:34 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Mostly been using premier protein, crystal light, sf coolaid, water, broth, sf jello, sf pudding, greek yogurt, and sf apple sauce.

Rachel B.
on 2/5/17 6:56 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

You're in a good place with foods.  I just constantly have the taste like I licked an old fashioned stamp - that tasted like a dirty sweat sock.  Good thing is liquid phases don't last horribly long.  Look for tart flavors to sharpen things up, maybe.  I drink a mix of flavored waters, but I'm never quenched...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Rubydoo11917
on 2/6/17 2:41 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Thank you, I will definitely give it a try.

Babygotsleeved
on 2/5/17 5:00 am
VSG on 11/29/16

After surgery none of the protein shakes tasted good to me, so I started blending meat/veg soups (no rice or potatoes) or bean/lentil/split pea soups and supplementing each 1/2 cup with some Genepro and having a 1/2 cup of supplemented soup every 3 hours. I know some people on the forums don't like Genepro, but it's worked well for me with these soups. Thinned greek yogurt can give you a good bit of protein as well. For drinking, I just had to keep searching for what I could tolerate. I had to use a variety of hot and cold to get all my fluid in. Crystal Light sweet tea is my favorite cold and fruity herbal teas are my favorite hot drink.

I ended up with pancreatitis and having an extra 2 weeks of liquids after surgery (GAH!), so I know how hard it is. It will get better as you progress through each stage. Do some research on pintrest for bariatric friendly recipes and whatever stage you are in and you will get a variety of recipes. Look up "The World According to Eggface" online and she has a number of shake recipes you could try if you are so inclined.

Hang in there! You can do this!

Gwen M.
on 2/5/17 5:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal, so you're not alone!  Try different things.  Your focus must be on hydration right now.  Hot tea, warm broth, sugar free popsicles.  Try different flavors and temperatures.  You need to find something you can use to hydrate yourself.  

Nahua nutrition then sells samples of protein powders - so check that out.  Try mixing with unsweetened almond milk, skim milk, or water.  Try fruit ones and sweet ones.  Unjury sells chicken broth protein powder and "unflavored" protein powder.  Try everything - there are so many options out there!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 2/5/17 8:48 am - Warren, OH

For me, I was so grateful to have a chance to lose the weight, that I would have drank mud shakes if that is what it took.  Enjoying food was just not an issue for me.

The protein shakes in 2007 were pretty gross, but I got them down.  I found that Crystal Light made the water easier to swallow.  I did not care that food did not taste good.  I regarded it as medicine and I got my required protein and fluids in.

After a few months, I found a protein powder that tasted good to me.  I pretty much lived on that for two years.  Learning to eat for nourishment and not for pleasure was a true gift of the surgery for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Rubydoo11917
on 2/5/17 5:41 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

I totally understand what you are saying about eating for nourishment not pleasure. My concern right now is that I am not getting enough in me even to stay hydrated. Thinking it would be easier to get the fluids if my taste buds could handle the flavors better. I will continue to work on this.

diane S.
on 2/5/17 11:48 am

Many people find that all protein drinks taste bad. I sure did and had to force them down. Keep them icy cold and only pour out a couple of ounces at a time. If stuff is too sweet, add unsweetened coco powder or a little blob of GY. Remember its part of the process to not want much food for awhile so be grateful for this stage.  Things will change. Eventually you can mix protein powder in to a little cup of sugar free pudding and its better. My hubby likes spirituine protein power from health food store. I like Teras Whey though I don't use them much anymore. Stick to your plan and in a few weeks or sooner you can have other stuff. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 467 views