A Small Step Towards Normal

CMB_713
on 2/8/17 5:53 pm
VSG on 01/31/17

Had my post-op appointment today and was advanced to a pureed diet.  For the first time in over a week, I planned a meal for my family of turkey breast with carrots and potatoes.  I pureed some of the turkey for myself and we all ate together.  After protein shakes, it was amazing!!  Better than the taste, though, was the glimpse of a way forward, eating with my family...just eating less!  I did scold my hubby (all in fun) when everyone finished long before me and deserted me, so I made him sit back down. 

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/8/17 8:35 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Yea!  That's exciting.  I'm a few days from that and cannot wait.  I bet it finally feels like you're starting to move on. Wishing you continued success.

Rachel 

DubfromBP
on 2/9/17 2:02 am
VSG on 10/13/15

Congrats on reaching the point where you can see the steps moving forward are more closely aligned with what real life will be vs what you've done with the immediate pre-post op time.

Life returns to a normal state and stays there.

I find that it's uber simple.  Family meals, that is.

One of my life's biggest rewards is that when I have the time to cook meals for my family.   I love making stuff that my tribe likes and I enjoy the whole process.....shopping for fresh goodness.....prepping it.....coaxing the grill to life.....enjoying my music in the kitchen on the deck......having my dogs underfoot and actively watching me have my fun.

Seeing my family dig in and have a great meal together....great conversation....family time....is very rewarding.

Since I can't freaking stand to sit a table and wait around while others eat.....I gladly enjoy the role of preparer, server, and clean-as-I-go-guy while they eat and we all talk.

The eating for me is very easy.

I simple enjoy the protein rich entrees and leave off any carb-heavy sides. It's very simple and easy.   Most often though, I'll make sides for me that they've gone on to enjoy.....rich greens, salads and etc.  

I've sorta assumed a Paleo way of eating, I suppose...and they are going sort of in my direction more and more often.  

It's ironic because they are tall and lean.........not tall and fat like me.......but I'm the one with the lean way of eating.  Funny stuff.

Congrats on reaching the  point where you can now see life in it's normal state....family meals....fun times.

For me....that moment came at 9 weeks post op.    My teenage son made it damn clear that he was ready for his dad to get back to serving up ribs, chicken, steaks and such....he was sick and tired of the frozen foods and fast foods that had taken over their meals as I'd been on a cooking break for my an extended period as worked my way through extend post op liquid diet and redefining my relationship with food.

He snapped me back and I went shopping.  I loaded up my cart with a heap of succulent meats and had the next 7 days scheduled off work.  In those 7 days he was served baby backs, beef brisket, pork loins, steaks and more.  I did it and found my way selecting among the meats for my own desires.   I found that three wing drummette**** the spot......a few toppings from my grilled pizzas was a tasty meal for me......as the tribe consumed the whole things.

I found my way back to having fun cooking for the tribe when my schedule allows.

I hope that you continue to find yours.

Life is good !!!!!!

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Gwen M.
on 2/9/17 4:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was so happy when I reached purees for the same reason!  I could eat what I made for my family finally - even if I had to puree it :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views