New to the Forum! Introduction & Questions

AshtonE727
on 2/22/17 1:04 pm
VSG on 03/07/17

Hello All!  I am new to the forum and look forward to starting and sharing my journey.  

My insurance required a full year of seeing their doctor, PT, Psych eval and a nutritionist.  On February 17th I was signed off on to contact the surgeon of my choice to start the process.  My first appointment with my surgeon is Feb. 27th and was told that surgery is usually a week turn around (so guessing surgery would be around March 6th-7th). I am beyond ready to start my new life long journey but getting very nervous too!

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help me with.  What are things that i need to purchase prior to surgery?  Are there things you did to prepare that helped you in the long run or through recovery?  What should i pack for the hospital and how long did you have to stay in the hospital?  How long did you take off work?  I am planning on taking 10 days off but I do have an office job.  ANY advise or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Thank you :)

cappy11448
on 2/22/17 1:27 pm

Hi,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.

I bought a food scale for weighing my protein portions.  I bought single serving samples of protein drinks.  It turns out I couldn't tolerate sweet drinks, so I'm glad I didn't buy large quantities of these.  I heard that tastes change after surgery, so I figured I'd try a few and figure out what I'd like. 

I bought some sugar-free jello and sugar-free, fat-free puddings, and some cans of cream of veggie soups.  I stocked up on good quality chicken broth, as this was my staple since I couldn't tolerate the protein drinks.  I'd mix unflavored protein powder into chicken broth as my staple for protein the first few weeks.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

pammieanne
on 2/22/17 2:14 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Welcome aboard!

I dusted off the food scale I already had... a must. I bought these cute little 4 oz Glad containers, and I use those all the time... I got smaller plates and bowls from Target, and I love those still, too!

You can get smaple packs of different kinds of protein powders, and run them by your doctor. I know my doc was dead set on me using 100% whey Isolate protein powders for the first 6 months... I didn't completely follow that because honestly, the only ones I could stomach after a while were Premier Protein redy to drink shakes

You can start not drinking with your meals now. that is by far one of the hardest things I had to get used to... and waiting 30-60 minutes afterwards to drink. It's really important, and once you get used to it, not as bad as you might think.

Start cutting carbs... we all do so much better with protein forward meals... at first it's hard, but start looking at the website by Eggface (you can google that) and get ideas for foods as you go through the different stages after surgery... 

I also took 10 days off from my office job, and it was fine. I was tired that first week back, and took advantage of the opportunity to leave a little early each day, and I'd nap on the couch for about 30 minutes LOL.

I only packed my Ipad, phone, chargers, toothbrush, and toothpaste. I wore the same clothes in that I wore out... but I'm pretty low key. Braing some Chapstick! Your lips will be dry after surgery!

Good luck! Stick around here and join in on the conversations, this is the BEST place to learn so much!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

AshtonE727
on 2/23/17 8:23 am
VSG on 03/07/17

Thank you!  I will for sure be sticking around!  Mostly everyone that is around on a constant knows I am having the surgery.  However, most do not understand.  It seems like my world has revolved around preparing for the surgery.  Everything from online support groups, forums, before and afters, youtube videos...I could go on and on I'm sure!

ddkVSG
on 2/22/17 2:22 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

-adult liquid Tylenol. You won't be able to take pill form and getting off narcotics fast is better for you.

-I bought a ton of sf jello, pudding and popsicles only to find out aspartame gives me a migraine. YMMV

-I bought a ton of premier protein only to become lactose intolerant after surgery. Again YMMV.  Buy protein powder that is whey protein isolate.  Not special blends or concentrations.

-I LOVED plain water before surgery. Drank 100 oz a day. Post surgery, it irritates my tummy. I now use Stur in my water. It's sweetened with stevia and only lightly sweetened. Just helps me drink water. 

-have a plan for purée and soft mechanical stages since will be going back to work during those phases. 

-my hospital time was less than 24 hrs from check in to going home.  

-you might appreciate a recliner to sleep in for the first week

-gas x strips

-walk.  Walk. Walk as soon as you are conscious.  Relieves the gas from surgery.  Walk even when you don't want to.

-be gentle with yourself and your expectations post op. You are having major surgery. 90% of an organ is being removed. You will be tired. And sometimes irritable. And sore. You may at times ask yourself why you did this to yourself. Power on.  These feelings will pass. The scale Is Not Your Friend post op for two weeks.  You will have water weight.  Stay away from the scale. Get your protein and water like your life depends on it because it does.  

Congratulations!  Exciting times are ahead.  

iloveravens
on 2/22/17 8:53 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I was able to take tylenol in pill form from day one.  Actually I took all of my meds (thyroid, protonix, etc).  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

ddkVSG
on 2/22/17 10:32 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

My surgeon didn't allow pills larger than the smallest round pill. Everyone's instructions are different. 

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

AshtonE727
on 2/23/17 8:24 am
VSG on 03/07/17

Thank you!  I was wondering about the medicine part.  I take Thyroid meds along with others.

pammieanne
on 2/23/17 8:50 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

My thyroid pills went down just fine after surgery, just couldn't drink as much water with it every morning like I did at first... now it's no problem to get the water down with it.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Readyjwc
on 2/22/17 2:26 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi there -

I'm so excited for you and can't wait for you to join us on the loser's bench!

I brought slippers so I could walk the hallways with my IV to get the gas out.

I also brought elastic loose-fitting pj bottoms for the same. Didn't want to "moon" anyone with my ill-fitted hospital gown lol.

My daughter gave me unflavored Unjury protein powder for Christmas and I love it. I can put into my own smoothies (Fairlife or Almond milk). I also could put with milk and sugar free instant pudding and Dannon Light and Fit yogurt. www.unjury.com

As was stated above, a good low sodium broth was great for me (I retain water). Plus, water, water, water. You don't want to dehydrate. Water first, protein second.Lastly, don't be surprised when you weight more when you get home. You have all the IV fluids in you and the gas. It takes about 4 - 5 days to get it all out.

I had my surgery done on a Monday, went home on Tuesday and was at work Saturday night. I have a desk job at a acute rehab hospital and only had to lift a phone receiver. Plus, I was in great hands if there was a problem smirk.

Best wishes and let us know how you're doing after the surgery.

-Jan 

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....