Bipolar- Issue with Vitamins

Maria_Wilent1273
on 4/13/17 7:37 am

I am Bipolar and found out the hard way that my vitamins do not mix well with my medication. Considering it took several years to find the right med, the nutritionist has approved me to not take any vitamins. I get my blood work done regularly and have had no issues.

Has anyone had any issues with this? I am almost 2 years out from VSG surgery

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/17 7:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I too have bipolar, but I haven't had any issues with my vitamins. I've never heard of this happening; can I ask what psych meds you're on?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Maria_Wilent1273
on 4/13/17 7:56 am

Sure Seroquel. The vitamins made the med not work properly and I felt like I never had any Seroquel in my system. I tried numerous times. At one point, it became so bad that my husband was going to take me to a hospital as I was having psychotic episodes. Tried all different name brands for all vitamins as well. It simply does not work with me.

on 4/13/17 7:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can understand having drug problems, but your health can run into serious problems from vitamin deficiencies down the line. At 2 years out, you may not see it, but it can become a bigger problem further down the line. Supplements are incredibly important.

Have you talked to your surgeon about the vitamin situation? Nutritionists' training and expertise varies greatly, and your surgeon may have a more informed perspective.

It may be necessary to try a different med for bipolar that will allow you to take vitamins. Med changes SUCK big time (just finished a major switch myself), but going completely without vitamins can make you very sick and cause irreversible damage.

Maria_Wilent1273
on 4/13/17 8:17 am

I am 2yrs out and surprisingly the vitamin levels are on point. The surgeon and nutritionist are in the same office and he is aware of the issue. Been on almost every med and this one is the only one I get relief of my symptoms. During the med changes, I was unable to work and I was not able to concentrate and focus. I work in Finance-Accounting. I have been searching for someone in the same position as me but have yet to find one.

on 4/13/17 8:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can understand the concentration problems for sure. I'm a professional data nerd and dealt with the same thing, and I basically lost my job due to the brain problems I had on lithium. It definitely sucks.

purduebaby12
on 4/16/17 1:52 pm

I'm sure you have but have you tried different vitamins? taking them at different times? what about taking your vitamins smaller portions throughout the day? I agree that now it might be okay but as we age...you know how it goes!

Maria_Wilent1273
on 4/17/17 4:32 am

Yes have tried it all and they don't mix well with my medication. All my levels are good so I must be getting the vitamins from foods.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views