Pain meds question

LisaP2016
on 6/9/17 9:04 am
VSG on 03/14/16

I was sleeved March 14, 2016....have had great success with weight loss....in January 2017 had to have my gallbladder out (never had gallbladder issues before, so it was due to the rapid weight loss)....they gave me Dilaudid which I have never had a problem with before and one of the only pain meds I have been able to tolerate. Percocet gives me hives, Vicodin makes me feel like I've just drank a gallon of coffee & makes my heart feel racy....I just don't tolerate pain meds well so I try really hard to not take any......well, I have a torn rotator cuff & possible labral tear in my right shoulder, which has been causing me a great deal of pain....I took a 1/2 dose of the dilaudid the other day after work because my shoulder had been killing me all day....and it felt like my stomach was going to explode....kinda felt like a gallbladder attack. I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery June 21st and freaking out a little....I've had shoulder surgery before on my left shoulder about 10 yrs ago and it was the most painful surgery EVER (and I've had like 7 of them including the gastric sleeve, gallbladder, hysterectomy, etc) I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had a reaction to pain meds like that? Why does my stomach feel like it's going to explode? What other options are there?

adistacke
on 6/9/17 12:57 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

Did you take it with food? Sometimes pain meds irritate the stomach so maybe have a few bites of food and take it (know that isn't ideal) but pain control comes first. Another option is take it with pepcid or something like that.

feel better!

ljbarbara
on 6/9/17 2:10 pm

I've had dilaudid twice in my life (by injection) two years apart. Both times within 20 minutes of the injection, I was in excruciating pain and hospitalized with pancreatitis. The first time, the doctors had no clue what caused it. The second time they figured it out. The dilaudid caused my bile duct to clamp down which caused the pancreatitis. It is extremely painful. I'm not saying thats what's happening to you, only saying it can cause abdominal pain like a gallbladder attack. I wish I had an alternative option for you, I'm sort of in the same boat. One suggestion is to always ask for anti-nausea meds (not ppi's) with anesthesia and pain meds. That really helps me. Good luck!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

LisaP2016
on 6/9/17 6:16 pm
VSG on 03/14/16

Did you already have your gallbladder out too? It totally feels like a gallbladder attack, but I've had my gallbladder out.....

ljbarbara
on 6/9/17 8:35 pm

Yes, it was removed years ago. It's still posidle to have fine sand like sludge form in the bile duct. I had to have mine cleaned out. Feels like a gallbladder attack

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views