Questions I plan on asking my doc too . . . . .

joanne0658
on 9/17/17 10:01 am

I was sleeved 7/2015 and so glad I chose to do it. Never felt better and more free to do all I want and need to do. I have my 2 year follow up scheduled (I'm a bit late) and my extensive labs came back great on all counts.

Here are a few questions for the experienced (before I present them to my doc):

• Why can't I consume more than 1/2 cup of food per meal still? (I long for a salad with a decent amount of salad before measuring out protein)
  • Will my nose always start running and get a sneezing fit right before I've reached stomach capacity?
  • Still need to peel apples. Will I ever be able to eat a small one whole or just get used to peeling them? (truth told, the peel was always my fave part)
  • Will plain water always have a yucky metallic taste?

Not complaining but just wondered.

Thanks for reading . . . .and thank you for any advice/insight you can lend . . .

Jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

diane S.
on 9/17/17 11:35 am

Hi, I presume you are at your goal weight. I suspect you will eventually be able to eat a salad plus protein but why not have just a salad and delay the protein for now? Once in awhile won't hurt.

At 7 years I can eat a small apple and do so now and then. DH is also sleeved and had trouble with apples and finally gave them up. Try having a little tea or lemon in your water and lots of ice. Tastes better. I think all this will resolve over the next couple of years. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

joanne0658
on 9/17/17 11:46 am

thank you! been so ingrained with keeping protein first that i tend to think that's the only way.

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

happyteacher
on 9/18/17 2:45 pm

I think your restriction sounds about right. I am not sure about apple peel- I have always been able to tolerate that. Now dry meat, forget about that. My nose is still exactly like that at nearly 6 years ou****er did have that type of taste for a long time, but I am now able to drink it again without that being a thing. I don't remember how long that took though- but quite a while.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

joanne0658
on 9/18/17 10:58 pm

Thank you! So I'm not-off-the wall crazy . . . . . . well, mostly. The nose thing is really hard though . . . .right nostril usually . . . ugh. And I sooooooooooooo miss plain, cold water. Still makes a lump in my throat . . . Otherwise, as written previously, so glad I made the decision to have this done . . . . No regrets at all!

Valerie G.
on 9/19/17 6:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

12 year vet here with my sleeve stomach (as part of my DS):

• You must have started with a very tiny sleeve, which isn't necessarily bad, but it does stretch some. I started with a 2.5oz capacity, and today I can usually eat 8-10oz in a sitting. If I take my time while out to dinner, for example, I can enjoy a salad before my meal without ruining it if there is a decent pause between courses. Just don't make it a goal to finish the salad, or the bread that comes with it.
  • I'll see your runny nose and raise you with three loud hiccups when I reach my capacity. It never ends, and I consider it a good warning system. If I hiccup and I'm still eating, my family throws themselves between me and the plate.
  • This is the first I've ever heard of peeling apples. I've always eaten apples whole, skin and all. I suppose it takes up space that might make you full earlier, but enjoy the whole thing and see how it makes you feel. I'll bet you'll feel fine. I love mine with cheddar or peanut butter.
  • A metallic taste is usually a sign of ketosis, which means your body is still burning fat for energy (instead of available carbs). If you're still losing weight, you want this! It should subside when you go into maintenance and introduce more carbs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

joanne0658
on 9/20/17 10:05 am

Thank you for your wise words. Sorry for the delay in replying. I work nights and it's crazy at home in my mornings . . . .

I'm not trying to lose weight and eat the appropriate balance to maintain, so I sure hope my plain water no-taste comes back soon. That hard-lump-in-my-chest feeling when I try drinking makes me grumpy.

I dread eating out still but have learned my best bet is ordering a cup of soup. As long as no bread or pasta is involved, I can keep that down.

Goni in to work 4 hours later tonight to cover people that are off . . . . back to bed here . . . .Again, thank you!

jo

joanne0658
on 9/20/17 10:05 am

*going

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/19/17 8:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you can only eat 1/2 cup of food, it's because that is your sleeve's physical capacity for dense protein.

A runny nose is usually related to the vagus nerve. It's more easily stimulated due to the altered anatomy after surgery, and is likely to stay that way permanently.

No clue on the apple peel issue.

The metallic taste of water could be due to ketosis. If your body drops out of that state, the taste should go away.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

joanne0658
on 9/20/17 10:08 am

Thank you . . . Here's another question . . . .If I'm maintaining, is it possible to be in ketosis? My carb intake is pretty much only veg and fruit, although I do tend to still choose protein over veg.

jo

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views