Feeling depressed/ emotional after surgery. Having regrets of my decision

Cres89
on 10/26/17 7:55 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Hi everyone! I'm new here and wanted to share how I feel and maybe get some feedback from those of you who might have experienced the same.

I had my vsg surgery on 10/20/17. Going in to it I was nervous but had met all the goals required to have the surgery and I was even excited.

My mind changed after surgery and not having pain medication right away because my surgeon "forgot" to place the orders and moved to the next case. Leaving me to suffer with excruciating pain for almost 1hr. (Horrible experience)

Anyway, I was discharged and went home but I realized I am very sad and depressed because I don't feel myself like just a week ago before the surgery. I've cried 4 times this week thinking I've ruind my life with this surgery. I should have stuck with the nutritional diet a bit longer to see how far I'd get. I am having regrets now and thinking I will never feel like myself again , cheerful, funny, energized.

Please let me know if any of you felt this way and if things will get better. I really need support from people that understand my situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jenny C.
on 10/26/17 8:39 am

Good morning,

It is absolutely normal to have your usual mental state disrupted by surgery. Please know that what you are experiencing now DOESN'T LAST. Gosh, you are still in surgical recovery and the future is unknown. You haven't even got to experience all the benefits that are ahead of you. My advice would be to accept the way you feel right now as totally valid--and very temporary.

I consider my surgery date as a second birthday. I'm living a life that wouldn't be possible without my VSG. I'm wishing you the very same. You can do this!!!!!!

Cres89
on 10/26/17 9:00 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you very much for your encouragement!! I really needed to hear things will be ok.

How soon after your surgery we're you able to drive? Or go back to work ?

bridget1970
on 10/26/17 9:23 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

I had my surgery on 8/28. I felt the same feelings that you are. With my surgery I had my Lap Band removed, the VSG done, a liver biopsy taken and had a hiatal hernia repaired. This recovery was a lot harder for me than when I had the band placed years ago and when I was recovering from my c-section 12 years ago. I remember not long after being home and feeling so wiped out, I told my husband that I wasn't sure that I had made the right decision in having the surgery. Over time, I started to feel better, got more energy and am now down 24lbs. It's rough in the beginning but I'm glad I made the decision to do the surgery. Things will get better for you. Hang in there!!

Cres89
on 10/26/17 9:47 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Wow thank you so much for your honesty. I felt the same way after getting home. I immediately told my husband the same thing. I told him I wasn't sure I made the right decision anymore. Fortunately, he's very supportive and encouraging he keeps telling me day by day I'm doing better. But none the less still not seeing clear future yet. It's also been hard trying to stay positive and thinking positive about the outcome.

MarinaGirl
on 10/26/17 9:35 am, edited 10/26/17 2:46 am

Very normal reaction. Getting cut open & having general anesthesia is hard on the body, and as you lose weight you may experience hormonal imbalances, which could make you depressed, anxious or feel out of sorts. This will eventually pass so just be patient with yourself.

Cres89
on 10/26/17 9:51 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you so much for the advice. I will work on being patient with myself.

yvonnef1964
on 10/26/17 9:36 am
VSG on 08/11/14

Hello

There is a lot of hormones in the fat cells being released now so it is normal. It takes awhile to recuperate from the surgery. I think everyone goes through that regret stage but I can tell you that you will not regret it later on from one that is 3 years out.

Cres89
on 10/26/17 9:42 am
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you so much. This is very comforting to know. :)

Bakermama
on 10/27/17 3:19 pm

I am scheduled for surgery on November 27. I have been reading your posts for several months. I am, like so many others have said, both excited and scared. I keep hearing the ssame thing from all of you about being patient and things will get better. That keeps me positive, so thanks everyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 434 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views