Weighing/measuring food. Daily protein required

beckers80
on 4/16/19 4:32 pm

How much is too much, I'm 5 years post op and have had some regained! NOT Happy need to get back on track! I know I need to go back to the basics but how much is too much?

weigh food before of after its cooked?

should daily protein be the number 1 goal?

What about fat and carbs..

Gwen M.
on 4/16/19 5:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Here are my basics, yours might be slightly different. I aim for at least 60 grams of protein a day. My meals are 4-6 ounces. I weigh everything after cooking, since after cooking is what's going in my body. Protein is always my #1 goals. Well, protein and liquid :) I avoid refined and processed carbs and don't worry about fat from healthy sources.

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself
a. Take your vitamins every day
b. Track your own lab results - you're your own best advocate
c. Get a yearly DEXA scan to be sure your bones are healthy

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/17/19 8:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

For working on regain, the most common recommendations seem to be about 800 calories, 60 - 80g protein (or more), and under 25g carbs. Don't worry too much about fat. Make sure you meet your protein goals, but ultimately it's calories that matter most for weight loss.

I usually weigh food after it's been cooked.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pobearsam7
on 4/17/19 9:02 am

I agree with what has been said

but I would not recommend getting weighed daily maybe 2 days out of the week

protien is important and remember to watch the carbs

Kelly                

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/19 5:42 am

For some of us weighing daily can givegs better view at what is our weight doing than doing that every 2 days or once a week.

i am almost 11 years post op WLS. Over the years I tried to weight myself once every 2 days, once a week or every 2 weeks, but daily weighing seams to be best for me to keep me on plan. Specially when I am working on my weight (trying to lose or trying to gain a few)

Since my weight can fluctuate withing 2-3 pounds within every 24 hours, recording my daily weight can help me see the trend over the weeks. I don't take a number - I chose average over a week to show me if I am losing, gaining or maintain. I could have miss actually losing weight if I just recorded "a random number".

IMO - seeing losses can keep us motivated in following the diet. And since I can only lose up to 0.5 -1 lbs, per week, the 2-3 lbs of weight variation from day to day could be really discouraging. As long as I don't get obsessed with the scale, allowing the "number" to dictate how I feel about myself, weighing daily really helps me.

I.e last week I saw a high number of 148.4 lbs and a low number of 144lbs. With an average of 146.6. the average is down app 0.5-1 lbs comparing my other weekly averages.

Maintenance can be tricky. Eat enough not to lose, but not too much to gain. Keeping my daily weighing really helps me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active