Premier Protein bars

jujuwap01
on 10/28/19 1:06 pm

Hi Dr. Can you tell me if its ok to eat the Premier Protein bars on a regular basic, like twice daily for a snack?

ScaleSkater
on 10/28/19 1:13 pm

First are you at goal? If not, then the answer is heck no. If you are, what is your objective at having such high calorie snacks? And for having two snacks? At support group we've discussed snacks a lot. The biggest issue is creating a "candy bar" habit that leads you back to less nutritious snacks. My snacks today are generally an apple with nutbutter or nuts or maybe a yogurt with nuts..... I almost never eat a protein bar as a snack, except as a pre-workout thing and never more than 1/3 to 1/2 of one. So the key is what is the objective? I suspect most answers you are going to get is no don't do it. Snack less and snack on more nutritious foods. Also I like having the option of bars, but I don't eat them daily and certainly never two in a day.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/28/19 3:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are no doctors on this site. We're mostly people who have previously had surgery.

Your best bet is to get your protein and other nutrition through normal foods. For the standard high-protein, low-carb post-op diet, that's mostly going to be lean meat and dairy products. Check the daily menu thread on the RNY board if you need ideas.

One Premier Protein bar has almost 300 calories. Most people who are in the weight-loss phase aim for 600 - 800 calories per day, so that one protein bar takes up a pretty significant amount of your food for the day. Protein bars don't make you feel full the way that lean, dense protein does, so that makes it easy to overeat.

Some people also struggle with protein bars as your brain can treat them a bit like candy bars, which are (of course) off-limits after surgery. If you tended to binge on candy, it's best to avoid protein bars.

Some doctors allow patients to have the occasional protein bar in situations where real food isn't an option, like while you're travelling. If that's the case, there are better options; some folks really like the Quest bars, which are closer to 200 calories. Even then, though, you're better off having only half of one as a snack and limiting the calories you're getting in that way.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

catwoman7
on 10/29/19 4:01 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I rarely had them when I was in weight loss phase for the reasons the above posters mentioned. I have them now occasionally (in maintenance) - mostly when I travel. I usually have one in my purse as well in case I'm in a situation where I have no options - although that's pretty rare. A bar can sit in my purse for quite awhile before it's "needed". Twice a day is too much - esp when you're still in weight loss mode. They have a lot of calories, and there are much better ways of getting protein.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/30/19 10:35 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, R U looking for a specific person? There aren't any Drs that post on this site. I think there was a Dr maybe that had a podcast or something like that who would post on the site.

Like others b4 me mentioned, protein bars really aren't something you want on a regular basis, either in weight loss mode or really in maintenance mode either. There are many other regular foods, not frankenfoods, that you can eat.

Most protein bars won't fill you up. They usually have a ton of calories too. If you must have them, be picky. Go for the ones that have a high amount of protein & a low amount of calories, but don't use them for snacks. The bars are generally used as a meal replacement or fuel for an intense workout.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

tracyringo
on 10/30/19 9:00 pm
VSG on 08/09/17

Stay away from those protein bars and if you are going to eat them I would not eat more then 2 per week. They can be quite addictive and sabotage your weight loss.

jujuwap01
on 10/30/19 11:28 pm

Thank you for responding, I really think I am addicted. So last week I made up my mind not to buy anymore, so I have been without them for a week now. I was eating 3-4 a day, it was so convenient and crazy, I loved them, but no more for me. Thank you so much.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views