X-post: Shopping, a transfer addiction?

chris_ruff
on 8/9/10 4:23 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
so has anyone gotten a little out of hand with the shopping since losing weight? i shop alot, online and in person. for me, its clothes and shoes. a week doesn't pass that i don't buy something new to wear. i liked to shop prior to my wls, but it has increased since i now wear a normal size.

i have always been into fashion but could not frequently wear what i liked due to my size. now that i can, whoa mama, my closet is exploding (literally). at first i thought it would pass once the newness wore off, but that hasn't been the case. it also doesn't help that i live in nyc where fashion and shopping are everywhere.

fall is my favorite fashion season (its the boots and leather jackets) and its upon us. i'm already looking forward for a fall mini-spree. it's not a problem in a financial sense, i always pay my bills and set aside savings, but a good hunk of my spending goes towards this and i am a little fearful. emotionally, i get such a charge out of looking good and i think thats where the problem lies. any thoughts?
--Christina
Liaazul
on 8/9/10 4:41 am - MD
Chris babeeeeeee, during our MO days we had been so restricted in what fashions we could wear that when we're gifted with our new bodies, is totally understandable our new found enjoyment for shopping.

When I finally got into my dream size... 8 pants, I couldn't resist the shopping bug. However, the novelty of buying single digits wore off, and now I just buy for special events or when I am really in need.

I see around here that shopping can become a transfer addiction, but I don't think that is your case, especially if you pay your bills on time and still manage to save. You're cool.

I know what you mean... living in NYC is really a major temptation.

You also literally had to rebuild your wardrobe from zero, so, the volume of shopping is respectively higher than back in the MO days. The other great thing is that there are tons and tons of sales for smaller sizes, so for the price of 1 plus size outfit you can buy 3 or 4 regular sizes. Financially, you're probably still spending less and getting more.

In any case, if you start to continuously feel that it is becoming a problem, don't let slide for too long. Hide the cards .
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

chris_ruff
on 8/9/10 4:47 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
lol @ "hide the cards".

you're right about the sales, i only ever buy things on sale or if i have a coupon. i also will never pay shipping if its an online purchase. i try to be savvy that way. 

i know part of it is dating too. before my wls, i was in a long term relationship, so i didn't bother too much with "date clothes". now that i'm dating i have a stash of sexy "date outfits" and i don't like to wear the samething twice when i'm out with a new guy so, i get something else.

i hope the novelty wears off! i feel like i could be putting the money to better use, like saving for a co-op or something, but for now, it is generally under control.
--Christina
Elizabeth_Ann
on 8/9/10 4:55 am
 It's my understanding that it's not unhealthy unless it interferes with your life. You say that you are okay financially, so I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy!!!

My husband lost his job in June, so shopping is out for me for now. We're going to try to live on my teaching salary! That barely covers the rent and electricity!

When he is working again, I will have a shopping spree myself and I won't feel guilty about it! LOL

Hugs, 

Liz in Orlando       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

chris_ruff
on 8/9/10 5:38 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
hi liz,

i'm sorry to hear bout your husband's job loss. i hope he gets work soon and that your struggle is light.
--Christina
Elizabeth_Ann
on 8/9/10 5:43 am
Thanks so much, Christina. 

Hugs, 

Liz in Orlando       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Jody ***
on 8/9/10 7:00 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Chris - yea, I went hog wild for awhile there.  When I was getting rid of my fat clothes, I VOWED that I wouldn't buy as many now - LOLOLOL.... well, lets just say I have 2 FULL SIZED closets full...

Now the newness of the new clothes shopping has worn off, I LOVE finding bargains at thrift stores.  I can justify the cost much easier.  I have a pair of GAP jeans I bought there for $4 and I love them.  When I was riding my motorcycle I had my rain gear on and it touched the pipe... well, I got melted rain gear on my jeans - MAN was I mad!!  BF couldn't understand why I was SO upset when it was a $4 pair of jeans - HA - had to set him straight.  Said "because to replace these jeans it will cost me $50 - and I love how they fit".. Hey, its hard to find things still sometimes that you like the fit of!!

No - as long as you recognize you love shopping and have the finance part of it under control, you're doing ok.  Every now and thenI go into my closet and take a look around to see what I have that I've forgotten about... reminds me I don't need to shop! 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

chris_ruff
on 8/9/10 7:33 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
thanks jody, i guess this is something that alot of us go through. i would have been pissed too if i ruined my bargain jeans!
--Christina
Jody ***
on 8/9/10 9:51 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I still wear them.  Its on the inside of the jean at the bottom.  Just adds a little interest - lol.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

moondancer2000
on 8/9/10 7:39 am - Ft Rucker, AL
I love to shop even more now!! But money is super tight, so I shop in my teens closets...LOL

I will live each day in the mindful present

HW 208/SW 197/CW 115/1st GW 130/2nd GW 120
/3rd goal 115/New GW ??/HT 5'2" NO MORE WEIGHT GOALS

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...