1st appointment from Hell

Kiwistardust
on 11/23/11 9:53 am - GA
 I just blogged, but I'll give the abriged version:

The doctor. Oh, my goodness . . . 

1. He talks too damn much. Never before have I listened to such unsolicited information and anecdotes before.

2. Soon as I mentioned WLS I could tell the entire convo was sabotaged. "I can tell by looking at you, you don't need it", "WLS is usually for 400+ people", "if you're really determined you can do anything you put your mind to", "I know you think you can do what you want, so you can do it your way if you want", "It's going to take a year to even get everything you need" blah, blah, blah . . . My social ettiquette prevented me from just walking out.

3. Told me surgeons would probably deny me, it was gonna be difficult for me, most plans don't cover bariatric surgery (mine does asshole), bought up how Kanye West's mom went in for elective surgery and never woke up (wtf does she have to do with this?) Not one positively helpful thing was said.

4. Condescending attitude. I have a degree in biology. No, I'm no doctor, but it's not like I don't know anything. He spoke like I decided to do this yesterday! I nodded sweetly and attentively at everything he said. Just so I could freaking leave! I shall change my PCP.

I need a psch, NUT, and endocrinologist's paperwork before a referral can be dished out. I'll get one it as soon as my semester's over. I know I'm a lightweight, but WLS shouldn't be reserved just for folks with 40+ BMIs . . . 

Any thoughts?

Ht: 5'8     CW: 262      GW: 160

I'm so ready for change, it hurts. But all the hurdles I'll have conquered along the way make everything well worth it.

Kermit P.
on 11/23/11 11:07 am
I just think that a lot of physicians are ignorant about obesity and WHY surgery should be an option.  My PC physician was lovely about it but she voiced a lot of reservations.  It saddens me that physicians won't talk with their patients about this as an option.  Your getting to 300/400 pounds isn't going to make your health or your situation better.  Just do what you need to do to get the process going.  I would suggest you not start all your appts in the new year due to copays etc.  I would also CALL your insurance and see what they require and what surgeries they do pay for.  Mine actually mailed me my coverage info. 

Good luck!!!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Kiwistardust
on 11/23/11 11:43 am - GA
 Thanks for that! Starting in the new year DOES make the most sense. I need a job anyway to save up for coinsurance costs. I'm under my Ma's insurance so I'll ask if she had her policy change or if her job has made any changes. 

I hope I can find an understanding/knowledgeable PCP in the future because that was just awful . . . 

Ht: 5'8     CW: 262      GW: 160

I'm so ready for change, it hurts. But all the hurdles I'll have conquered along the way make everything well worth it.

Jackie W.
on 11/23/11 1:49 pm
FIND A NEW PCP!!!  You can find one that is supportive of your decision!  That is the first thing you need!  If they are supportive, they can help with the ins co!  As long as you know its right for you, keep your chin up and keep fighting for Exactly what you want!!!  It took me extra time, because I knew what I wanted and didn't want to settle!  I'm so glad I did, wouldn't change anything for the world!! 

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Jackie

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

MajorMom
on 11/23/11 6:33 pm - VA
Ugh...hang tough--sounds like you know what you have to do and you've gotten some great advice here already. You might want to start pulling studies and ASBMS recommendations...the one that says WLS is beneficial for folks between 35 and 40BMI with comorbidities. Even Medicare cover WLS for 35-40BMI w/comorbidities.  Ugh...doctors with God complexes!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Eliza55
on 11/23/11 8:17 pm - PA
I agree with the recommendations to change your PCP.  Mine is the exact opposite.  Last year, he really pushed me to look to weight loss solutions as my weight was rapidly increasing.  He didn't want me to get to 400 lbs!!!  At a follow-up appt, I told him I was looking into it, and he was very supportive.  My surgeon typically does labs at 6 months, but my PCP wanted to some critical levels at 3 months.

I wouldn't continue with a PCP who talks down to you.  My mother (88 years old) is very sharp, and educated.  She researches everything, and will go through her list of questions and concerns at every medical appt.  When she gets a doctor who thinks she can't think because she's an old woman who moves slowly, she will pleasantly stop the conversation, and ask the doctor to speak more specifically.  She taught me to do the same thing.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Mama477
on 11/23/11 10:00 pm
I don't remember what state you are in... Go check the local boards and see who those folks are using and ask for opinions. Maybe you will get a good recommendation. You will make this happen!!!!

Good luck!
Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

italianspice
on 11/23/11 10:29 pm - Eastlake, OH
Hang tough and get another doctor.
Glad you were able to remain polite!
Find out where you can start the program at. For me there was alot to do preop.
Good luck on your journey. You will find that there is alot of negativity related to wls, but its seems like you are up to it!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Kiwistardust
on 11/24/11 1:00 am - GA
I really appreciate the replies! I'm in Georgia, Dr. Paul Macik is the surgeon they usually refer to (he's awesome), but I have to get to him through a PCP first!

Bothersomely, my Ma said "He tell the truth, don't he?" I knew all that before Ma. "Well, as a doctor he's required to tell you all those things." But not one good thing, Ma? He needs some more tact . . .

And yes, it's time to start pulling studies! Anyone have links for me to refer to? I gotta compile a good working document. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm thankful for this board
MacMadame
on 11/24/11 2:43 pm - Northern, CA
"Bothersomely, my Ma said "He tell the truth, don't he?" I knew all that before Ma. "Well, as a doctor he's required to tell you all those things."

But he was wrong that WLS is just for people who weigh 400+ pounds. And he's wrong that people with your amount to weight to lose are generally successful doing it without surgery.

So he's not telling "the truth" and he's not "required" to spread this misinformation.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 489 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views