Pre-op diet

jenny4674
on 5/1/13 1:23 am - TX

Well today is day one of liquid diet.  I have my surgery on 5/15/13.  YEA.. excited but nervous.  Any advice on this liquid stuff will be great.  I ate so much the last few days I still feel blah. 

Funny how when it is time for the liquid diet I have so many luncheons, dinner and events planned.  How do you explain yourself at these events when you dont eat? 

Any advice will be great.. thank you

Jen

Deckeriv
on 5/1/13 1:29 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Take the food, drink water a lot, use your hands when you are talking (sort of Italian style) and when they take the plates away no one will even notice that you didn't eat. If someone says something, just mumble about your stomach not feeling up to par today. Most people have their face down in their plate scarfing up their food and are too busy to notice what you are doing.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

jenny4674
on 5/1/13 2:06 am - TX

That is great.. I am real good at talking Italian style. :)  Thank you

Keith L.
on 5/1/13 1:43 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Hindsight being what it is, my suggestion is to not think about it. Just do it. I obsessed over food (as I imagine we all did) during that phase. I spent literally weeks just dreaming of when I can start eating again. Unfortunately once you start the liquid diet there is not eating like you used to ever again. So it was wasted brain time.

I was honest with everyone. I am on a very strict, dr. supervised diet and I appreciate the invite but I have to be diligent.

During the liquid phase I did not have a restriction on amounts or number of meals, so I spread out what I was eating across the day as much as I could. That made it much easier to get through.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

OregonGuy2012
on 5/1/13 1:47 am
VSG on 04/04/13

It is hard not to cheat and just eat at these events to cover up your upcoming surgery, but its not a good idea.  I took my protein drinks with me and told people I was having surgery and was put on a liquid diet.  I did not go into detail about what I was having done.  If anyone asks and you are not wanting to tell them just say that talking about the surgery makes you nervous and then divert the conversation to another topic. This worked well for me at my work luncheons and dinners. Good Luck!

bamaya
on 5/1/13 1:48 am - Nunica, MI

I'm on day 3.  It's not as hard as I thought so far.  I am hungrier, but keep trying to keep myself full with water, protein drinks, etc.  I don't know if this goes for everyone, but my dr says I can have puddings, jello, cream soups (the lowfat or sugar free of course) so that gives me some feeling of food.  I actually have more energy, which I'm sure is from not taking in all the fat and junk.  I was down 5 lb this morning, so that helps!!  

HW:232, SW:217, CW 190, SD: 5/14/13

jenny4674
on 5/1/13 2:08 am - TX

Great ideas.. Thank yall so much.. Yep from Texas so I have to say YALL..

I can not believe I am going to do this. :) YEA

AlohafromDan
on 5/1/13 2:42 am - HI
VSG on 05/13/13

I guess I'm very fortunate.  I work with a very supportive group of people.  I have been very open with everyone at work and that has brought forth even more support.  I will have my VSG May 13, 2013.  I start my liquid diet on friday the 3rd.  I think I dread the liquid diet more than the surgery itself.  I am determined to do this and be successful so am trying to keep an open mind.  At least living in Hawaii, I have some beautiful scenery to take my mind off my troubles. 

jenny4674
on 5/1/13 3:05 am - TX

LUCKY... I get to look at flat rolling plains.. (buildings) :)

So you are 2 days before more... so keep me posted on how it goes.  We can support each other.  I do have a great group of workers too. However, funny how things work that just in the next 2 weeks we have so many events (all around lunch and dinner)  But, I too shall make it through this. :)

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 3 Months

AlohafromDan
on 5/1/13 3:39 am - HI
VSG on 05/13/13

BTW. I am transplanted to Hawaii from North east Texas.  Don't miss the summers.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views