My current "stall".

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 2:26 am

Yesterday I went to the hospital for a routine blood test and while waiting in the lobby, I ran into a women who had just had VSG surgery.  She was sitting with her husband and talking to him about protein powder, hydration and the fact that the weight hasn't dropped in four days (she is three weeks out).  Does any of that sound familiar?  I am not very good at minding my own business, so I went over to her and introduced myself.  I told her that I had had the same surgery over five years ago.  This started a 20 min. conversation about VSG and long term success.  What she wanted to know most was about my life now and what the long run looks like.  I don't know what the long run looks like for everybody, but I could give her a quick glance at my life now.  This doesn't mean that her life ( or your life) will look the same, but here is my truth and my life NOW.

I really don't think about the VSG surgery very much now.  I have certain habits that are ingrained and I follow them most of the time.  I don't drink my calories (unless I am having a glass of wine with dinner), I don't graze, and I always eat my protein first.  I still weight myself everyday and will do that for life.  It doesn't mess with my head when the numbers go up or down.  I just like knowing where I am and moderate as n108eeded. Other than these basic habits, I really just live my life.  I socialize quite a bit, go out to eat all the time, have an occasional drink or two with friends (low cal drinks), drink coffee, eat a bite or so of dessert when I am out and someone orders it and in general live like most of my skinny friends live.  I work out, but not religiously and not strenuously.  I love to hike, and ice skate, and dance.  There is nothing about my life that distinguishes it from my friends and no one would ever guess that I had surgery based on anything I do, eat or not eat.  I still eat mostly protein, some healthy fats and plenty of veggies with an occasional treat.  I stay away from white carbs, and reduce all carbs in my diet but this is really automatic now.  This doesn't mean that I don't crave sweets or carbs, but the cravings are not as intense and I have learned when to give in to them and when not to give in.  Isn't that what most people do?  The main point is that my life is completely normal, (or as normal as my life is ever going to get :)  ).  I am still 5'1" or 5'2" depending on who is measuring.  I still weigh about 108 lbs. and I am happy with this weight.  It works for me. Eventually, all the hoopla goes away and life get back to just...life.   Good luck to all of us, there are no guarantees, and I still feel blessed that I have had this opportunity.  For now, my obesity is in remission, hopefully this "stall" will last the rest of my life.   

Spencerella
on 9/30/14 2:48 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm so glad to see you here :) 

Thank you for describing what success looks like five years out. It's something I strive for every day too. With practicing those few daily habits, success is possible for each and every one of us. 

Life still throws lots of unpleasant curveballs, but they never stop me from following the basics. I honestly believe they are what keep me in the game. Even if I have a bad day or less than stellar week, my habits keep things in place for me to get back on board. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 2:51 am

You are a poster child for VSG success as I see it.  I hope that newbies read your posts and learn from you and other VETS on this site.  I remember how helpful the posts from those that came before me were when I was just starting out.  

iloveravens
on 9/30/14 3:14 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Thanks for the encouraging words and the insight on what 5 years out can look like.  Your pics are amazing!  You're stunning.  Congrats on your success

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 3:32 am

Thank you!

diane S.
on 9/30/14 3:28 am

Hey Elina, good to hear from you.  Yep you and I are barriatric busy-bodies. Always interested in the stories of others and mentoring.

The "remission" concept is a good way to think about this. Except we have more control than other people with diseases in remission.  Your stall will last the rest of your life and its not because you hope it will, its because you will make it happen.    WLS success is all about making genuine lasting changes in habits and the life you live demonstrates that you have done that.  Bravo! Lets hear it for a normal life!   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 3:37 am

As usual, I love the way you reframed it!  You are exactly right, much of this is all about continued mindfulness and dedication.  Unfortunately, when I had my run it with change of meds and hormones, I did realize that not ALL of this is in our hands.  It is much easier now, but hormones, health, aging, and the underlying pull of our original obesity are still real factors.  We have to keep our eyes open for changes in stress, medicine, and hormones as they can/do have a tremendous reach on obesity.  Again, mindfulness, is the real key.  

diane S.
on 9/30/14 3:51 am

yep, if maintenance can be reduced to a single word, its "mindfulness".  note that its NOT  "moderation".  we have to be the boss of our lives and bodies.  the end.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Stacy_WLS
on 9/30/14 3:46 am

I hope I can get to this point where I don't feel different.  Most of the time I don't, but when I go back with family into situations that were so routine, but that now only occur a few times a year, I feel WAY different.  

But I love the reference to a stall for life -- I'm hoping to land there soon too.  The lbs keep inching off at this point and that's ok.  My routine is pretty ingrained -- although a special man keep opening up the wine lately.  :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 3:54 am

Is it possible that the routines of your family are not the "normal" healthy eating routines that most naturally thin people follow?  I think the reason that I feel "normal" is that I am surrounded by mostly thin or average weight women and men.  The demographics are such that "most" of my social environment is filled with other women who are all watching their weight and working hard to feed their families lean healthy food.  I am sure that if I was to go to the South (just for example), I might not be considered so very "normal".  On the other hand, if I was to go to France, or almost anywhere in Europe or most places in Asia, my eating habits wouldn't raise a single eyebrow.  I think our environment can have a huge effect on our perception of normal.  What do you think? 

I am all for opening a little wine with the right guy.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views