Removal of ghrelin hormone....is it really permanent?? Vets??

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:32 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi Glam! If you are newly out of surgery, it def might be that you need a PPI :) 

glamlamb
on 3/3/15 2:36 am
VSG on 01/19/15

i am not "that" new (1/19/15) , and have been taking lansoprazole, but maybe there is a better dose, or different drug. it's definitely unpleasant. also, will try to up my water, because i didn't know that dehydration can also present as hunger. thanks!

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:40 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi - yep you might just need something stronger. I think (depends on surgeons orders) we should take it for the 1st months. You might need something a but stronger though :) 

hollykim
on 3/3/15 2:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 3, 2015 at 9:58 AM Pacific Time, Amber G. wrote:

Hi All!

So..I wanted any ones input on the removal of ghrelin hormone. More specifically, is it supposed to last forever? Reason for my question is this, at 11 months out, I definitely get hungry now! In the beginning (first 3-4 months) I almost had to remind my self to eat.

Thanks for feedback! 

I am 7 years out and my hunger has not returned. I can count on one hand the number of times I have felt hungry. 

Eating carbs will make you feel hungry and be ab

e to eat more of everything. Dehydration also mimics hunger. Are you getting 64+ ounces of liquid every day?

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:34 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Holly! Thank you! I try to stay away from the carbs, but do have some occasionally. Now, you may have a good point on the dehydration possibility! I admit, I am horrible about fluids and have struggled since day one. I was just in the ER about 2 weeks ago to get fluids. That might be  the issue as well! I am need to find a solution for fluids ASAP. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/15 2:44 am

Oh, that could be your cause right there! Glad that Holly asked that question. If you are going to start anywhere, start with upping your water intake to a minimum of 64 oz p er day. Minimum!

See what happens to your hunger then and try the Tums test Tracy suggested. You have a couple of issues to resolve first that could be mimicking hunger.

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 3:47 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Yes, I am so glad she brought that up too! I never though about that :) In the 11 months since surgery, I have had to get fluid via IV about 4 times. I know, I suck at the water thing! The one thing that did work for me was the powerade zero. Its not the best, but I might have to put it back in the mix to help with hydration. Def going to try the tums too! Thank you all for the input!! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 12:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 3, 2015 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, Amber G. wrote:

Hey Holly! Thank you! I try to stay away from the carbs, but do have some occasionally. Now, you may have a good point on the dehydration possibility! I admit, I am horrible about fluids and have struggled since day one. I was just in the ER about 2 weeks ago to get fluids. That might be  the issue as well! I am need to find a solution for fluids ASAP. 

Agreed! If you've been in the ER for dehydration four times, you should have found a better solution ASAP months ago... gotta make sure that doesn't happen again!

Have you tried different flavors? I've got probably a dozen different kinds of Mio, Crystal Light, sugar-free Koolaid, and whatnot in my pantry.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Stacy_WLS
on 3/3/15 4:18 am

My hunger is definitely not gone.  I get more physically hungry when I am working out especially intense cardio.  But the hunger is so much different -- it isn't I must have 1500 calories to think I am even close to satisfied.  Some solid protein and I'm pretty set.  

I think I may need to consider a PPI b/c in the afternoon my hunger is a bit bad lately -- I can satisfy it well w/ 100 - 200 calories, but it comes back after an hour or so sometimes.  I have noticed this is when I'm low on cals and high on exercise, so it is probably just my body trying to get what it needs.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 4:42 am, edited 3/3/15 4:42 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Agreed with you Stacy! I do think I may need a PPI regularly again too. I get the same way, I can eat a little protein but am hungry again in an hour or so too. I need to step up my fluid game too!