Removal of ghrelin hormone....is it really permanent?? Vets??

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 1:58 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi All!

So..I wanted any ones input on the removal of ghrelin hormone. More specifically, is it supposed to last forever? Reason for my question is this, at 11 months out, I definitely get hungry now! In the beginning (first 3-4 months) I almost had to remind my self to eat.

Thanks for feedback! 

Kiwideb
on 3/3/15 2:00 am
VSG on 01/19/15
Most of it was my understanding, but not entirely as it's not a process entirely centered in one spot. I've not researched tho. Sure it's not acid playing up?
Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:04 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Thank you Kiwi! I have been trying to read up on it as well. But I think you are right, it would be hard to remove "all". I may need to start "seriously" taking a PPI again. I still take one here and there, but not religiously. Might give that a go, and see if it helps. 

mickeymantle
on 3/3/15 2:04 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I rarely get hungry at 20 months out and a few bites still fix that

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:05 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Mickey! Wow, that is awesome! It was for sure like that for me in the beginning. Not anymore though. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/15 2:07 am

Unfortunately, there is no single answer. For most people hunger returns to some degree. The degree to which it returns is very individual. I do get hungry at 3+ years out, but it is a very mild hunger. It's also a hunger that I can easily ignore. So, if I were to guess, my hunger is reduced by at least 50% to 75% of what it was pre VSG. I'd say that's pretty darn good, considering!

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:10 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Kairk! Yes, that is totally awesome! Mine is really strong the last month on some days! I might need to hop back on a PPI (seriously) and see if that helps. I do like spicy food, so I wonder if its an acid issue in my case. 

Tracy D.
on 3/3/15 2:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It could definitely be an acid issue.  Even at almost two years out, I can't eat spicy or tomato-based things without getting a lot of acid buildup.  And I take a PPI!  

Also, the stomach isn't the only place where ghrelin lives so you'll still have some left.  It's natural for hunger to slowly start coming back.  Mine did but - much like Kairk - it's nowhere CLOSE to where it was before and most of the time I can easily ignore it.  

Try popping a couple Tums when you get "hungry".  If it takes the edge off then it's probably acid, not true hunger. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amber G.
on 3/3/15 2:27 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Thank you Tracy! I am going to totally give that a try! Yes, I have a major weakness for spicy foods :) 

glamlamb
on 3/3/15 2:24 am
VSG on 01/19/15

i am like you (and not as far along, sadly) where i am feeling a strong "hunger," so i am asking my doctor about the hunger vs. gas issue tomorrow, and what i can best do. because it was definitely easier when i didn't feel it!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views