Removal of ghrelin hormone....is it really permanent?? Vets??

Superchunk77
on 3/3/15 5:35 am

It is made in more than one place and is not completely removed, so yes it is expected to return after a while. 

Amber G.
on 3/4/15 2:49 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Thanks for the info!

Vanessa_M
on 3/3/15 9:19 am

That was a great question and great answers!  I think I will look at a PPI as well.  My water intake is pretty good, but I think the addition of carbs to my diet has led me to be hungry more often as well.  I try to drink something hot then wait 30 minutes and see if I'm still hungry. If I am, then I try to eat something small.  My weight gain has been from making bad choices and not thinking before I eat.

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

Amber G.
on 3/4/15 2:50 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Venessa! Yea, great responses and something I had never thought about up until now. I do def think I am going to start taking a PPI again and really need to up my fluid intake too :)

celticfaery
on 3/3/15 12:04 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

About 8 years out here.  Yes.  It does return more the further out you get.  But there are some other things that play into it.  Like Hollykim said, carbs can cause more hunger.  But also some artificial sweeteners can create the feeling of hunger.  I found sweeteners in crystal light and splenda are the worst.  Stevia isn't nearly as bad.

So limit artificial sweeteners and carbs.  Stick to protein and healthy fats and that should help.  =)

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Amber G.
on 3/4/15 2:53 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Thank you Celtic! I am not a real big crytal light fan. If I drink fluids, its straight up water orrrrr COFFEE :( It just came to me the added coffee intake might be the trigger too? I have been working really long hours, and drink double the coffee I usually do. All of these answers are awesome! 

frisco
on 3/3/15 2:17 pm

I haven't been issued my vet cert yet, but I'll give it a shot....

Hunger and satiety are on opposite sides of the same scale whether it be mental or physical.

Understanding satiety also helps you understand hunger and visa versa.

The reduction of ghrelin greatly reduces physical hunger for most who have VSG.

Sleeve size and capacity also play a part. If you reach satiety with less food you have fed your hunger with less food.

Keeping your blood sugar levels in check with shorter swings can minimize hunger rises.

I think I'm pretty textbook on how ghrelin reduction and it's effect on hunger was explained to me by my surgeon. From about a year post-op to almost 6 years out I have very "pleasant" hunger that leaves me time to think about what flavors I would enjoy vs. pre-op just thinking about a massive pizza, 2 liter soda and grocery store sheet cake.

One year out can be very difficult as most people are turning the corner into "living with the sleeve" for the long haul. Staying focused and continued education is very helpful.

I know I got off the specifics of just ghrelin/hunger, but I feel it's all relevant and connected to what you eat and weight control.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Amber G.
on 3/4/15 2:56 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Frisco! Well, can I officially issue it to you?! ;) You offer awesome and seasoned advise, so I think we are all good! Totally agree with you, on the hunger sensation is different post op. I was just saying in a post to someone else here, that I have been working tons of hours = drinking MORE coffee. Like double the amount. This may be what is triggering it too? Thank you for the input, as I do need to take a closer look on what I am not only eating, but drinking too! 

Valerie G.
on 3/3/15 11:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, it's permanent, but that being said, your body determines new ways to alert you that it's hungry.  I cannot explain this sensation well, but it just "is".  I can ignore it if I'm busy much easier than I ever could a growling stomach. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amber G.
on 3/4/15 2:58 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Thanks for the input! The hunger sensation is definitely much less intense post op. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 189 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 276 views