Did it not work? IS there anywhere to go from here?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/31/15 10:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I would suggest a dietitian at least over Weigh****chers. WW doesn't force you to some of the recommendations we need after WLS, such as high amounts of protein; a nutritionist who has experience with WLS patients will be able to give you much better advice.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 3/31/15 10:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you eating every day?  If you tell us, we can try to troubleshoot.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:56 pm - OR

I know it is too high quantity but I start out well....

Breakfast is good:  6 to 8 oz of low fat Greek Yogurt with bee pollen and flax oil.

Lunch:  This may be good some days and poor others - Smart One frozen entrée, or nibble on the kiddos food -  or chicken wrap (I realized the portion I was eating of the chicken wrap was too large) or left overs from the night before (pot roast, something with chicken, enchiladas, sub sandwich with low fat chips,) beef 85/15 patty with cheddar cheese no condiments - this helped me loose but I don't do this often enough - too hard with these kiddos destroying my house eeck! :)

Dinner:  Something with Chicken, Pork Chops, Sub Sandwich, (eat out - oops - usually 1 or 2 times a week),

Dessert:  Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich or sometimes worse - chocolate chip cookies, or ice cream - I know it is that evil carb addiction.  Oh and I love toast and rolls and will sneak them if they are around.

I try and some days are better than others but they balance out to an overall weight gain.  I also eat nuts - almonds - for snack.

I am doing this from memory and not from my log but it is pretty close to what I do.  I know it is bad, I start out each day well and then, well...you can see from there.  I need quick easy to grab food that is not carbs, but I usually grab nuts and carbs. 

Any ideas for easy to grab food throughout the day that are not carbs, I have some veggies that I will eat but are there any other options or simple prep recipes that I can have for snack.  I would so love and appreciate any examples.  Thank you.

ald731
on 3/31/15 10:47 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

I think from this post, you already know what the issue is - carbs. Carbs leave you wanting more carbs, make you hungrier, and aren't as filling as dense protein. I would seriously consider cutting out all of the bread and sugar - even the skinny cow stuff - cold turkey. It will be rough for a little while, but then the cravings should subside. I would probably leave out the nuts for now as well, because they are very calorically dense and a portion size isn't going to be as satiating as you would expect. 

For breakfast, I would probably go full fat on the yogurt, because they typically have less carbs and it's more satiating -or even switch to cottage cheese, which generally has more protein and less carbs than yogurt (check labels though). Eggs are also an easy, quick option.

Lunch, I would skip the Smart Ones and eat the innards from the chicken wrap. Prep things on the weekend for easy lunches - tuna/chicken/egg salad, deli meat, leftovers (I wouldn't, personally, eat the chips either. Low fat/baked chips have no more nutritious value than regular chips - veggies or occasional berries if you feel like you need a side dish.)

Dinner, hard to gauge what exactly you're eating, but just make sure that you're eating the protein first before any side dishes. I think you'll find you have more restriction than you realize.

Snack ideas - jerky (check labels though, some have a lot of carbs), cheese sticks, 100 cal packs of nuts if you really want those, cottage cheese (lots of mix in ideas, one of my faves is cinnamon, stevia, and a splash of vanilla extract - tastes like a cinnamon roll!). Pinterest is great for coming up with new ideas.

All the best to you!

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Mommydoo
on 4/1/15 1:50 am - OR

THANK YOU!!! I am so grateful for your suggestions.  Going to the store this morning.  I know I get cranky without carbs but I will try my best.  I know I have to do it!! Thanks.  I wish I had posted earlier.  I needed the support and suggestions so terribly bad.  Thanks again!

Tracy D.
on 4/2/15 4:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You will be super cranky while you de-carb.  But the miracle is that after 3-5 days of going low-to-no-carb you will feel SO much better!  The hunger and cravings will practically be non-existent and you should notice your mood stabilizing.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 4/4/15 6:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You've gotten really great advice so far.  

In addition, if night is the problem, try shifting your meals later so that you're eating at the times you get snacky?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PSwoman13
on 3/31/15 10:31 am

Go to your doctors appointment and maybe see a dietitian specializing in bariatric surgery patients. You also have hit the nail on the head when you said carb addiction. Exercise didn't make you lose weight, your calorie intake did; it's 80% food and 20% exercise. Exercise helps you to maintain your weight loss not lose it(many studies/reports support this). It truly seems that those that are successful vets have adopted a low carb lifestyle; this is just the way it is. This journey isn't easy but try to look at the process one day at a time. Good Luck.

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:45 pm - OR

Thank you, PSwoman13

ipray
on 3/31/15 10:40 am
VSG on 11/06/14

If you were able to lose 48 lbs. once, you have proven to yourself that you can do it again.  Don't dwell on your failures, but remember your achievement and look foward to achieving even more!  Start over by using the eating plan you were originally given.  I think you should spend your time planning your meals, making sure you have the correct foods in your house and logging your intake on myfitnesspal.  The time you were using before to exercise should be used instead to focus on what you are eating.  You can always add in the exercise later once you have your eating under control, but now you should really should focus on your food selection/intake.  Meet with a therapist and nutritionist to get you headed in the right direction.  And be honest with yourself about why you regained. Not to beat yourself up, but prevent it from happening again. You can do it!  You just need to reorganize and refocus.  Good luck to you and remember don't dwell on your failures, but give yourself credit for your accomplishments and don't look back!       

Most Active