Did it not work? IS there anywhere to go from here?

Friends K.
on 3/31/15 10:51 am
RNY on 01/14/14

For me exercise keeps me honest and on track but other than just do it ...you just have a pile of excuses about why you have stopped. Basics of the surgery. Eat protein first. No grazing. 

I still deploy every diet trick in the book every day. Surgery helped early but know it is all me and my daily choices.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:29 pm - OR

I never had a drastic drop from surgery.  I exercised 4 weeks out when given the go ahead and there hadn't been much lost up to that point.

Sasny
on 3/31/15 11:40 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

Sorry you are struggling.  Can you share what you ate in the beginning and what you eat now?  To be honest you didn't lose that much in that much in year one and most people who are sleeved would not need to exercise at all to lose that amount.  Exercise is great for health reasons.  But the drastic weight loss people experience in the beginning with WLS is really due primarily to the extreme calorie deficit.  Do you feel restriction with your sleeve.  There is great variability in surgeons techniques and I am wondering if you have a large sleeve?  What did your surgeon think about your year one results?  No matter what to reverse the current trend you will need to reduce your calories and try to use your sleeve as a tool to help.  Eat foods that take longer to digest in fill up your sleeve such as dense protien and vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, cucumbers with skin on - all take a long time to digest and will keep you full longer.  Steer clear of empty carbs.

good luck.

stephanie

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:37 pm - OR

I am going to dig up my old food logs to verify what I ate and see if I can incorporate some of that now.  But I did see a doc that was helping me with trying meds and he recommended the dudonal switch (I may have spelled that wrong) unfortunately it is not an option here, but I am assuming he recommended that because I never had the affects the VSG surgery is to yield.

I appreciate all the support here and will take a hard look at my food choices - I record them in the Weigh****chers app but I know my portions are more - I am hungry all the time.  I like the specific veggie suggestions and will make purchases and prepare them this week so I have easy grabs, I never knew how hard it was to be at home with kiddos and having to feed them and not yourself!  It is hard being around other peoples food and finding time to prepare your own, but I now I have to make that time.  But I need prayer and will power.  I am going to try to do this again.  48 pounds was not even close to my goal, it brought me to 218 and my goal for frame was 136.  But at 218 I finally could buy clothes in some "regular sized" stores.  Not anymore, back to the same old big girl/expensive shops.

Oh and my surgeon and one year results, well she never really said anything about it.  Just wanted to know what I was eating, exercising and that my incisions where healthy and no problems.

Thank you, Stephanie!  I appreciate your encouragement.

mickeymantle
on 3/31/15 3:31 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I think a therapist that specializes in eating disorders would be very helpful to you

your eating way to many calories  those smart ones lunches are 200 -300 cal , the skinny cows are around 100 cals 

that is 400 cal alone , ad 140 cal for the yogurt  your up to 550

you should be eating around 800 cal

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mommydoo
on 4/7/15 10:51 am - OR

That is what I had initially thought - are you still eating 800 (we had surgery around the same time, me July 13, 2013.  But my doc said not to listen to these sights and that I should be eating 1000 - 1200.  Then when the weight loss was slow or no existent, they told me no more than 1000 calories.

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/31/15 6:11 pm

A friend of mine had WLS and didn't lose anywhere near the amount that was expected.  After a year she started to really question why because she did exactly what she was told to do for the first year.  She was so disappointed. 

The doctors started running tests, all kinds - blood work, scans, etc, and after about 6 months of that they finally diagnosed her problem.  Her body produces too much growth hormone and this affects her weight.  The surgery was a complete failure due to this hormonal problem. 

It might be worth it to you to have several tests done to make sure their isn't something biological at play that is hindering your loss. 

Depression meds can make you gain and retain weight.  Talk to your doctor to see if a switch in meds could be an option. 

Best wishes.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/15 2:28 am

Hi,

I read your post yesterday but wasn't able to respond. You have received some great responses, so I'm not really sure I will add anything worthwhile that you haven't already read, but for what it's worth...

You are being very hard on yourself. I know this can happen when you are feeling despondent and desperate. Believe me, I know because I am the king of being too tough on myself. You're also steeped in judgement about how you have been eating. You mentioned your "bad" choices. I'm going to put this out there for you to consider: There are no bad choices.

The more you deem your choices bad the deeper you'll sink into the funk of the eating cycle you're stuck in. So, you ate some carby foods. Maybe a lot of carby foods. SO WHAT! It's really not the fact that you did that, but why you did it. You're under a lot of stress it seems and maybe you're using food to cope. I don't know, but you do. Are there ways for you to cope without using food?

I think that a first step for you might be to accept that you gained the weight and be kind to yourself. Understand that there was some reason for the regain and that you are capable of the regain of control.

Don't let your food police destroy you ability to be successful. Make your choices, be aware of your true, physical fullness - not your emotional "fullness"- and above all, be kind to yourself.

I read a few other things in your post, but I think those are secondary to your need to be kind and forgiving of yourself. As long as you are berating and demeaning yourself you will be unable to move forward and attain the success you seek.

Stay strong and be well.

glamlamb
on 4/1/15 6:21 am
VSG on 01/19/15

kairk, i really appreciate your non-judgmental approach to all this. for most of us here it is really refreshing not to have the whole topic be so fraught with morality to our eating. it is just a thing, and if we can take away the emotion it enables us to act better for our own sake. :)

ABair
on 4/2/15 5:01 am
VSG on 01/14/15

I think you need to go back to the basics.  Go back to the all liquid diet, with protein powder.  Start from the beginning over again.  I'm only 10 weeks post op, so I am certainly not the expert.  I know that I never eat more than 4 ounces at a time.  I do not want to take any chance of stretching my sleeve.  Good luck and hang in there.  You'll figure it out, or consult others the surgeon, or nutritionist for help.

Lisa 

Most Active