Did it not work? IS there anywhere to go from here?

ktgrok
on 4/3/15 10:16 pm

I would not do a liquid diet, because if yoiu are feeling hungry all the time, the liquids will make that worse, by going through the sleeve too quickly. You want to avoid "slider" foods and stick to things that fill up the sleeve and take a long time to digest. 

Now, if you can eat more chicken than you think you should be able to, or are truly hungry shortly after, then your doctor needs to run some tests. Sometimes people end up with a retained fundus that was hiding during surgery, etc. An upper gi would show what is happening.

Mommydoo
on 4/7/15 10:48 am - OR

Thank you, ktgrok.  I did have an upper gi in August for other reasons and the doc doing, when I told him about my bariatric surgery, told me it did not look like I had had a bariatric surgery.  I told that to the surgeon and she just said many doctors are not familiar with the different types of bariatric surgery (so apparently they don't recognize it).  I don't know what happened here but I am starting to believe that 48 pounds in a year with 4-6 days of consistent intense workouts a week, not a good result!!  When I asked about that, they told me I was either -"working out to intensely" or this fall when the weight started creeping back it was "not enough."

Dakinbar Yes
on 4/3/15 11:25 pm
VSG on 05/07/14

Hi there,

I agree with what many of the others have said

1. Dont beat yourself up, it's not worth it. The only reason you should look back is to see what lessons you can learn. Your future lies in front of you.

2. You need to stop with the carbs. They're giving you the hunger and out of control feeling.

I would add to this, that you need to break that carb cycle. And going low carb is the only way to do it. When I think I am "hungry" I like to challenge my hunger by saying to myself "fine, eat this boring baked chicken breast". Kind of the low carb equivalent to when my mum would say "If you're hungry have an apple from the fruit bowl". If you wont eat the chicken breast you are not hungry. If you eat the chicken breast it'll fill you up quickly, help you reach your protein goals, and not make too much of a dent in your calorie goals.

For the first few days while getting back on track I personally would not worry about counting calories. Just make sure you are eating dense protein and low carb. If you are hungry, eat. Once the carb monster is back in his cage you can start looking at how many calories you are eating.

The plain dry chicken is a good way to also know how much your sleeve can actually hold. You'll probably be surprised how little it is. I can sit down and pack away half of a big tube of pringles, but only eat 4 - 5 oz of chicken.

HW 309lb  CW 186 1/9/2015  GW 136     31yr old Female, 5ft3

Valerie G.
on 4/5/15 10:20 am, edited 4/5/15 10:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Maybe your body needs a bigger kick in the pants than just eating less and exercising.  You're not the first and definitely won't be the last to not get the results you hoped for.  The next consideration is a revision to either make the sleeve smaller, or finish with a full DS, which will kick your metabolism into high-gear.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mommydoo
on 4/5/15 12:08 pm - OR

The DS - are you referring to the duodenal switch?  If so, one of the doctors I see said something about that but I don't believe their are any local surgeons (in Oregon) that perform that.  I would so prefer that or even a smaller sleeve, something.  I don't know if they will offer anything but I am seeing the surgeon in May. Thank you.  I am hopeful she will offer suggestions but concerned that she won't as I know she wasn't very pleasant to speak to at my one year when I had very small results. 

Most Active