Constipation, Fibers, Quest Bars .... suggestions?

jujuh
on 10/19/16 5:39 pm, edited 10/19/16 10:40 am - Northern Cincinnati Suburb, OH
VSG on 06/03/16

Anita, My birthday is November 3 and I have 6.4 lbs to be in onederland. My surgery was June 3. I will be 59 and am 5' 2", We have alot in common. Good luck with your 7 lbs. It's killing me since it is so close.

rachelp
on 10/19/16 9:21 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Whoa!!! Bravo on the weight loss!!! 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/19/16 10:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone's loss slows down at the 6 month mark, more or less. It may not be the bars at all. But it's possible that it's not helping much either, especially if your paleo bars have much in the way of carbs.

Some folks urge caution with protein bars because they can fill the emotional/mental void of candy bars or cookies, if that was a problem for you in the past. We should be eating dense lean protein first and foremost, and relying on bars to get that protein isn't the best option.

My surgeon's guideline for bars is that there should be 10g protein per 100 calories, and you need to watch the carbs, ideally less than 5g per bar. There aren't many that fit these guidelines, but Quest is one of them. 

There are other ways to get fiber or deal with constipation besides bars. I take Metamucil pills daily and those help, and sometimes I take Colace pills. Other folks swear by miralax to help keep things moving, and take it every day.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 10/19/16 1:41 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's great weight loss!

I used to use Quest bars, but they slowed my weight loss.  Artificial sweeteners hate me, sadly.  It really depends on you.  If they work for you, don't worry about it too much.  Added calories though might cause stalls.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

missc_26
on 10/19/16 7:50 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I'm not U.S. based so not sure if this product is available there but there is a product called Kiwi crush which is brilliant for keeping you regular. It's literally like a small crushed kiwi iceblock and I'm all for using natural. If not maybe try adding a kiwi into your day as they are known for high vit c, fibre and not high sugar spikes.

Ps well done on your progress so far!!

obioxiupa
on 10/24/16 8:39 am

I take fiber pills in the morning, and it has helped me a lot.  That way I get the fiber without the bars.  You can also try adding ground flax seeds (lots of fiber), or soaked chia seeds have a lot of fiber too.

Tara

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Most Active