Recent Posts

Rachel B.
on 2/17/17 11:18 am, edited 2/17/17 3:19 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
Topic: RE: What Psychiatric Meds for you?

I really get frustrated with providers who change medications that are working just fine.  If it ain''t broke, don't fix it!

I have been on anti-depressants,off and on, from 24 to somewhere around 33.  I finally got on anti-depressants permanently somewhere after 33, when I was getting my bachelors degree.  There is great evidence that the more times you go off and on anti-depressants, or the more depressive episodes you have during the course of your lifetime, the more likely you will need to be on consistent meds for the remainder of your life.

There is no shame in taking medications for depression, PTSD, ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia.  Mental health shaming has harmed far too many people and it should not be tolerated.  Medications do not shorten peoples lives.  NOT BEING APPROPRIATELY MEDICATED FOR A MENTAL ILLNESS SHORTENS ONES LIFE EXPECTANCY BY A MINIMUM of 10 YEARS.  And if the diagnosis is Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia, that life expectancy is shortened exponentially.

Good mental health is a vital key to a balanced life.  Never be afraid to ask for help if you feel you need it.  And NEVER listen to NAY-SAYERS.  It's your feelings and opinions that matter.  Not theirs.  They don't live in your head.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Rachel B.
on 2/17/17 10:59 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
Topic: RE: Can herbal supplements help with mood and motivation?

Herbal supplements are inconsistent and unproven.  Counseling is hard work, but it is the best method. 

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 3:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
Topic: RE: Can herbal supplements help with mood and motivation?

The greatest benefits for depression always come from counseling.  Even medication does not work as well.  I would get assessed in general, as depression can be a side effect of many illness or other conditions, too.  I would absolutely get counseling for emotional eating.  I did for many years, and that made a far more drastic difference than medication, though medication helps a lot, too, in my case.  I have major depressive disorder, though.

Any supplements also have risks; they are touted as not having any, but many herbs are basically drugs, too, of a sort (most drugs were developed from supplements).  I don't have expertise there, and I'm actually not against them either, but all substances whether herb or pill form are not risk free.  My friend who was actually a traditional herbalist would always tell her clients this.

Diet makes a big difference, too.  Diets lower in carbs are better for the brain and have been shown to help regulate moods.  Even with as 'high' as 100g/day max you might see benefits especially if you are eating sugar and stuff.  Food can definitely have mood affects.  

Food is the ultimate drug.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Karlsen
on 1/24/17 10:40 am
Topic: Can herbal supplements help with mood and motivation?

Hello,

I have been struggling to control my weight and cravings for years now. My main problem is 'emotional eating' as my mood goes up and down, mostly down! I also have undiagnosed mild depression but not taking any medications for it. I always struggle to focus on what I'm doing and the motivation is non-existent for almost anything I do. I find it useless to try to lose weight before dealing with my mental problems first as I'll just gain it again.

I would like to know if there are any herbal supplements (non-prescription) that are effective and risk-free to help improve my mood and mental state?

missc_26
on 11/13/16 3:25 pm
VSG on 10/03/16
Topic: RE: anorexia/eating disorders

Hi there

I don't have the same issue but I think you might get better response if you post it again under the general discussion forum just letting people know that you are wanting to hear from others who may have experienced the same thing or similar.

There are plenty of people who can understand the mind games that occur post surgery and i have seen several discuss their struggles with binge eating disorder or body dysmorphia. 

Good luck

Rachel B.
on 10/28/16 7:38 pm, edited 10/28/16 12:38 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
Topic: RE: Slow Or Extended Release Medications?

extended release is still good with VSG because you still have your pyloric sphincter and your full small intestines. 

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 3:19 pm
Topic: RE: Meds and Metabolism

Congratulations on your surgery and welcome to the wonderful world of post-bariatric eating!  It gets better, I promise!

I didn't realize what the brand name of the med was.  I took it too, many years ago, and was taken off it because I felt and looked drugged.  Your body will change, your metabolism will change, your moods will fluctuate, but you'll find a balance.  I'm still working on mine, but aren't we all a work in progress?

Please feel free to talk - anytime you want :)  Neither WLS or MH issues are journies meant to be taken alone.

Blessings!

missc_26
on 10/23/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi thanks for the reply and info, sounds like you have done so well over the past 5 months. I take meds for chronic pain and psych so it is a careful balance to reduce them over time I hope.

I had VSG 3 weeks ago and prior to that in June I worked on coming off the mirtazapine  (ugh the detox was hideous). I personally felt like a zombie on them and feel 1000% better not on mirtazapine.  That's not to say there might not be something else out there for me but that was most definitely not the right one for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds thru my WL journey and fingers crossed the reduction in meds will be a blessing for me too.

Best wishes.

C

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:39 am

Hi C,

I had surgery 5 mos ago tomorrow (there was an unexpected complication and surgery had to be re-attempted a month later) and have lost just over 50 lbs.  I have gone off both my BP meds (you can read in an above reply about that drama).  I am no longer pre-diabetic.  I expect to go off my cholesterol med in a few months.  My numbers were still a trite high with my last labs.

It's so hard with depression.  The lack of energy and motivation cause complete disinterest in even getting out of bed.  Add in the meds and wow, I became a balloon - quickly!  I gained about 150 lbs in, maybe 7-8 years.

Since surgery, my the only change in my psych meds is increasing one (as of this past Wednesday).  I take 2 meds created as psych meds, but I take them for migraines.  I'm working with my neurologist to decrease those.  I've been able to cut the dose of one in half; the other I went from taking 2 pills 3 times a day to 1-1/2 times 3 times a day.  It's a start.

My psychiatrist is very aware of the struggle and conscientious of what meds she has me take.  My neurologist is also in tune.

If you're concerned, I would talk with your doctor about alternative meds which might have the same effect.  Have you found that the mirtazapine has been helpful?  If not, or if only minimally, now would be a great time to go off it and start something else after your surgery.  Is your surgery scheduled?  Which are you having?

Please don't hesitate to ask questions!!

Blessings!

Jenb1202
on 10/23/16 11:31 am

Thank you!  I am so sorry to just be replying now, but it's my first time back on the site in about 6 months.  I appreciate your kind words and perhaps we can become friends!  I hope you're doing well with your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 699 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 922 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views