4 Days post-op and pain meds not working

AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 3:42 am - OH
I am 4 days post-op and I am finding it difficult to keep my pain down. I can't take the full dose of the liquid pain meds to keep the pain at bay.  I am getting really depressed and my stomach feels like it is on fire. Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?!   Also I am down 6 pounds is this normal?!  Please help I am NOT sleeping at all.

cajungirl
on 5/14/11 4:19 am
The burning sounds like you need an acid reducer med, did they send you home with something.  What pain meds did you get, how often are you taking them?

Sleeping or lack thereof is pretty common ~ try sleeping in a recliner.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 4:56 am - OH
They sent me home with prevacid also and I am taking it.  I also have a slight touch of pnuemonia which makes my lungs hurt.  Augh, I am wondering if I did the right thing  =(

AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 4:58 am - OH
The liquid Lortab. It is like I can't get the right amount of pain meds into my pouch in order for it to work.

ahmerzrealm
on 5/14/11 4:38 am - Naperville, IL
You are most likely having acidity issues in your pouch.
Try getting an Rx for Prevacid orally disintegrating tablets. However some insurance companies do not cover it so make sure you are covered.

Depression and sleeplessness are common. See if you can get a mild antidepressant for it. Your acidity is most likely being aggravated by the depression and sleep deprivation.

If your sleeplessness doesnt improve let me know and I will give some more information on it.
AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 5:00 am - OH
Thank you for your reply.  I am trying to stay positive and remind myself that this is best for the long run. My sugars are much lower so this is a great thing =)

j_brooke
on 5/14/11 4:48 am - TX
I am only 5 days post op & this has been one rough roller coaster. Sorry to hear about your problems with pain meds, I also, couldn't tolerate the liquid Loratab, they sent me home with. It made me itch, itch, itch. So I've had to cut down on the dose. Not really what I want to do but I'm dealing with the pain as best I can. Hope it gets better for you. Were in this together that's for sure.
AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 5:02 am - OH
I went through that in the hospital,  argh !!!  Wish you all the luck.  Please keep in touch, maybe we can help one another along our journey =)

Jacobsmama08
on 5/14/11 5:08 am - Morgan Hill, CA
I wish I had some words of wisdom and magic for you, but maybe it'll be enough to hear that what you are experiencing is nothing unusual. I am 12 days post op, and know exactly what you're talking about.... And I hate to say it, my pain is better, but I am still sleeping like maybe a couple hours a night... I toss and turn, and not too much cuz I'm still too tender to sleep on anything but my bac****il probably 3 or 4 am, then maybe doze off for a couple hours, then wake up at 6 when the hubby gets up for work. I end up dozing in the recliner in the afternoon while my toddler is napping. It SUCKS! But not uncommon. And the pain, yeah, when they say taka it easy, they mean take it easy. If you're feeling the same pain as I have it's the stretching ripping like someones stabbing you in the gut feeling when you move up, down, bending, getting up and down off the toilet, in and out of bed, sometimes even when you're sitting still, am I right? The medication dulls the pain but doesn't take it away entirely, you just gotta figure out how to move with out too much moving, I know, but it does get better. I think at about a week out, I stopped taking the medication and when I couldn't stand it, I take chewable Tylenol, cuz the Loratab makes me kinda fuzzy.. And take Tums, or something to kill the acid, that should help put out the fire. SO! NO great advice, just to let you know you're not alone, we're all in this together and it too will pass, slowly but surely. Oh! and no, 6 pounds, not unusual, after my first week, I think I was down about 9. Keep your chin up!!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

AWyldfire
on 5/14/11 1:54 pm - OH
Thank you so much !!! That is exactly how I am feeling !! I couldn't get up off the toilet today and noone was home to help and I bawled like a baby !!!  LOL  I am so glad to know this is normal !! I did check my temperature and I am running a temp of 100*  so I will closely watch this and call Dr. if need be.  Thanks so much again !! =)

Most Active
Recent Topics