Not losing much =(

AWyldfire
on 6/2/11 4:39 am - OH
Ok can someone please give me some advice:  My surgery date was 05/10/2011 and I am only down 18 pounds and the scale has stopped moving !!!   I have looked at other peoples post with the same surgery date and they have lost so much more weight then me, what am I doing wrong?!  I get in about 50oz H2o daily and 50g protein, either with isopure, protein shakes or I have been eating some shrimp. I get in all my vites and walk daily !!! I am getting discouraged and really depressed   Should I be doing something different? I was a severe diabetic before surgery, but I am within normal range now and off all meds and I DO thank God for that every day and the 18  pounds I HAVE lost, but it seems others have lost so much more !!! =(  I know this is a mind bender any ways, so maybe I am just being hysterical?!  IDK,  any advice is truly appreciated !!!!  Good Luck on your Journey !!!
Thanks,  Angi

sunpat41
on 6/2/11 4:47 am
Hi Angi, I had my surgery the same day and I have lost a total of 23.5 lbs which has stayed the same for three days. we are not suppose to compare ourselves with others, I think you are doing good, just keep following your doctors orders and you will lose weight, good luck to you and I look forward to hearing your progress

Patty
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

Judi J.
on 6/2/11 4:53 am, edited 6/2/11 4:54 am - MN

almost everyone hits a stall at 3 weeks. you are close to that, it is your body's way of saying, whoa, what have you done to me.

Also, the scale will drive you crazy. you are a "lightweight" so you need to look at the percentage you've lost if you are gonna compare. If you had 94 pounds to lose, you've lost 19% of that already, that is very awesome. Look under forums for the lightweights forum. Compare yourself to them. you'll feel better and hang in there, do what you are supposed to do, it will work!

eta: here is a target percentage wise that an experienced DSer who no longer posts on OH had as something to go by:

excess body weight percentage of loss goals:

2 months 25%
6 months 50%
1 yr          80%

laura_vermont
on 6/2/11 5:01 am
Yup, you're a "light weight" -- me too.  I lost 20lbs my first month and you're almost there.  You can't look at what other people lose by pound -- look at % of excess weight lost instead.  It is really helpful. 

You're doing fantastic!
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

poet_kelly
on 6/2/11 5:07 am - OH
Who have you seen that is losing a lot more than that?  That seems like a normal, good rate of weight loss to me.  I think maybe your expectations are not quite realistic.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LMCLILLY
on 6/2/11 5:10 am - Central, CT
Yes, you're being hysterical.  lol.  I kid.  You're being normal.  But...

Stop comparing yourself to other people.  That's a loosing battle.    

You're doing wonderful, and I'd venture to guess that your surgeon will say the same thing.  You've lost 18 pounds in three weeks, and that's great!   You're on the 'light weight' side to begin with, so your loss will be different than someone who might have 200 or more pounds to loose.  

Breathe, relax and continue doing the same things you're doing now- following your Dr's protocol.  

One helpful tip: Take your measurements as well as weighing- often you'll see large shifts in your measurements that don't bear out on the scale.  

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

adamsamah
on 6/2/11 5:13 am - Nixa, MO
Ditch the scale and go by your clothes. You are such a lightweight that you will lose more slowly and you can make yourself a wreck by comparing to someone who started out at 350 pounds. Many of our dear members do start out at over 300 pounds and at 350 losing the same percentage as you they would have lost at least 65 pounds.
I do think you could up your water and protein and it might help but actually you are right on target I think. At this rate you will be close to goal in less than 6 or 8 months and that's brilliant.
Keep up the good work.
Hugs,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 5:31 am
 Hi Angi!

I had my surgery on 5/9/11 so we are at the same point! I went into surgery at 234ish and am down to 211 but like you, I have also stalled! It's funny because I was looking around on the forum for answers and found someone in the same boat! I am getting my period and tend to retain around that week...maybe that is the case? Or most certainly, your body is like "holy crap what is going on!" Regardless, I know how you feel! But the scale has gone down and it will continue to do so! Keep up the good work :)

nfarris79
on 6/2/11 6:07 am - Germantown, MD
 I agree with the other posters! Liquids and protein could be upped, at least according to my surgeon's goals, but your weight loss is quite good! I had my surgery almost a month before you and have "only" lost 22 lbs - sarcasm optional - and don't consider that doing anything wrong. I'm meeting my goals, haven't had any major complications, so success is what you make it!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

AuntSugar
on 6/2/11 6:15 am - La Verne, CA
I just read this over and hope I don't sound too preachy.  I just wanted you to see a slower weight loss from the viewpoint of someone in the same boat.  I know you can succeed and I hope my words will help you.  

I had surgery October 26th.  I was about the same weight you are, also a lightweight.  I felt as though my loss was slow, but I was ok with that for many reasons:  1. My BP was normal and I was off BP meds.  2. My blood sugar was normal and I was off insulin and actos.  I only take a metformin at night - and I think my doc said that is only temporary.  3. My GERD is gone, so I no longer take aciphex.  4. I knew going in that I was not going to lose as quickly as those who weighed more than I did.  5. My BMI was 45 pre-surgery and I was losing, regardless of how slowly.  6.  I was not in a race with anyone else.  7.  I no longer wanted instant gratification - that's partly why I got to where I was before surgery.  I was happy with the slow, steady pace as long as I was losing something - no matter how small the poundage.

My weight loss did speed up, but I didn't lose as quickly as most others.  At 7 months out, I am down 70 lbs from my surgery weight and 88 lbs from the day I started seeing the NUT.  That's 10 pounds per month since surgery and I am delighted with it.  I feel better, look better and have a lot more energy than I did before.  I have passed the goal weight my doctor set for me, but would like to lose another 22 lbs.  If I never make it there, I will be happy if I can maintain my current weight.  I can live with it.  In fact, I will live a lot longer than I would have if I never got the surgery.

Please don't be discouraged.  Please don't get depressed with a slightly slower loss than you thought you would have.  These things cause stress and stress will slow you down.  Stress will cause you to revert to old, bad habits.  Depression will do horrible things to your brain and your body.  Be happy with what you have achieved so far.  It took you a long time to get to the point where you needed surgery.  It will take you a while to lose the weight.

Think positively and be happy for yourself.  Celebrate your life.  
Most Active
Recent Topics