Surgery on Monday

Proudtobaloser
on 8/20/11 2:15 am - Fayetteville, NC
Holy CaWOW!!!!  Almost time.... I am waking up at 3AM and will be finishing some last minute stuff and then checking in at the hospital at 530am for prep and then should be in the OR at 730am (could be as late as 8am). Been counting down the days. My surgery was originally set for the 29th but due to scheduling conflicts with my surgeon they moved it up. gave me one less week to dwell on the if, ands, or buts that I may or may not be feeling at any given time.

For those preops who are just getting started:
Do not get discouraged when you hit a bump in the road, just grab a shovel and beat the bump down. It is so easy to feel like giving up and just letting things come as they may but YOU are the one who has to take charge.
I have been on this road for four years- many others longer than I have. I have been denied, cancelled on and also had my butt ran through the ringer. Do I wi**** would have been easier? Some days, but overall I am happy I had to do what I had to do to get to this point. It all helped me become more aware of who I am and how I need to work on things. Also gave me more time to do more research (imagine that- more research, can NEVER do too much research IMO.....).
Will I have days that I am going to regret getting this done? Possibly. But that is not going to stop me from doign what I have to do to become healthier and YES to look good. If anyone says they are doing this just for their health, I would have to ask them if they are lying because yes health is top of the list BUT there is also the vanity side of it, do not let anyone BS you on that.
Ask questions........do research........spend time LEARNING about ALL the available surgeries, costs, risks, and overall maintenance. Yes maintenance- we have honeymoon phase then maintenance.

I know in my heart this has been the rigt choice and will remain the right choice for me. I am sick of the yoyoing up and down then WAY back up. Tired of these so called successful diets and programs, so sick of hearing people say this is taking the easy way out- sure if it is so easy why are YOU so chicken**** to do it? LOL I am a smartass and so far I have asked that question of several people, they always either get flabbergasted or yell at me, telling me that I am a dumbass or something of the sort. Hey you are the one who made the assumption in the first place, I just carried it through.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Lisa R.
on 8/20/11 2:32 am - CA
I don't know why, I see you on here on the time and I thought you were post op already. Hmm, wonder why I thought that.  But, either way I wanted to say good luck to you on Monday.  You are going under EXACTLY 16 weeks after me!  My surgery was at 730am on a monday morning 16 weeks ago this coming Monday.  I am down 56lbs (last I checked, I only weigh on Mondays), I have not hit any significant stalls, a little on in July and it only lasted 2 weeks.  Some weeks I lose 4lbs come weeks I lose 1.  I just take it as it comes.

I don't know, I am pretty sure it is just my "cycle" but this week I feel week in my resolve to stick to my program.  I went out last night and I ate a piece of pizza.  Granted a small piece, but I had a beer too, granted again a small one, but still PIZZA and BEER! I know it is ok, because I believe in the whole approach to this life style, everything in moderation.  I was just hoping this surgery would make me so awesome that I NEVER wanted pizza and beer again, that I could just eat the salad with non fat dressing on the side and be 100% happy. At sometimes I am that way, most of the time.  So I think it is just that I am close to TOM and that is when I start to get these cravings that almost kill me. It is always a craving for carbs, bad ones.  Like I can't live without them.  I mostly do well, but sometimes I give in just a little.

Anyway, I didn;t mean to hijack your awesome post about your up coming surgery, I just wanted to tell you that the part of your post about sticking with it just hit home today!  Thanks for that.  And all the luck in the world to you on MOnday, You will be in my thoughts and I can;t want to hear from you as soon as you feel up to posting again! 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
lilbear412
on 8/20/11 3:04 am - MN
 Your 16 weeks out and you ate a piece of pizza and a beer?  and you didn't get sick or anything?  and it filled you up?  isn't that the idea of wls?  to be able to eat but very little to help you lose weight?  Makes me feel better to know i might be able to eat just a little bit of pizza again someday..ha!!  

Good luck on the surgery and i will keep watching to see how its all going for you.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Lisa R.
on 8/20/11 3:17 am - CA
Yes, I am glad that foods do not make me sick, and I do believe in ALL in MODERATION.  However, I was just saying that there are times on this journey that my right minds wants to do the healthy thing, because that is really what the surgery is about, but my body and wrong mind what something else.  TOM always throws a curve ball at my plans!  

Yes, you will be able to eat pizza again some day and have a small drink or even some bites of cake.  I don;t know how anyone could expect to go their whole life with out ever doing that again, unless they have incredible strength and determination to stay to a very strict diet.

I want to go out and enjoy every now and again, but over all I want to eat right, make good choices and ALWAYS watch how much of anything I eat.   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
gabbyabby
on 8/20/11 2:43 am
 Good Luck!  Post an update and let us know how it all goes for you!  I am a day after you so save me a seat!  :)  

wynter57
on 8/20/11 2:52 am - Panama City, FL
I feel the same way. I've been up and down and all around about this surgery. I know that bad things may happen with or without this surgery if I don't get this weight under control.

Just curious about how tall you are? I was looking at your weight ticker and we are close in weight, but I am figuring my goal will be around 160-170, will have to see when I get there. I see yours is 145.

I am 5'6", so I think I would look decent at 160 as I did look really good at 170-180 even about 8 years ago. If I can get lower I will, but all I can do and all any of us can do is the best we can. ANYTHING will be better than carrying this extra human being around with me all the time, I'm tired of carrying that extra load!!

May the Lord bless your surgery and may you have a quick recovery, my fellow August 22nd surgery friend!!

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 3:11 am - MN
 Me too..up and down and all around and in and out and am i being to vane?  is there something i should be doing?  should i just stay fat?  be a coward and back out of the surgery?  what if i have so many problems after?  I have always said i would NEVER do the RNY and guess what?  i am 5 days away from my RNY surgery.  Did i jinx myself saying i would never do that?  yeah thats what has been going on in my mind then i think....if i stay fat i will have to live with the consequences..heart problems, diabetes, sore joints all the time.  Puking once in awhile can't be as bad as giving myself shots 3 times a day or whatever else could happen.  
I am 5 ft. 3 and need to lose about 150 lbs.  I think that i would look great around that weight or even a bit bigger.  I am to old to want to be 110 lbs anymore..lmao  good luck you all!!!

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

kellyl1202
on 8/20/11 3:25 am
"Will I have days that I am going to regret getting this done? Possibly. But that is not going to stop me from doign what I have to do to become healthier and YES to look good. If anyone says they are doing this just for their health, I would have to ask them if they are lying because yes health is top of the list BUT there is also the vanity side of it, do not let anyone BS you on that."

I feel the same way about possible regrets-I'm sure some days I will have some but it's my decision and I'll deal with the result be it good or bad!   And yes It will nice to feel like I look good again!    I'm 3 weeks from surgery on Monday so I'll be anxious to hear your progress!

Best of luck to you Proudtobe...hope all goes well on Monday and I'm sure it will! 
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

glzgowlass
on 8/20/11 8:53 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Good luck on Monday!  It certainly isn't the easy way out, I agree there. I read on another site someone bragging about losing a lot of weight non-surgically as if doing it that way deserved more credit.  I just thought, "yeah, but will you keep it off?"   

There is certainly less rebound weight statistically speaking with WLS.  Like you, I've yo-yoed and my health worsened because of it.   

I disagree with the vanity bit though.  I consider the final appearance to be a bonus for sure, but my health is crap.  If someone told me that I would lose the sleep apnea, the diabetes, high blood pressure etc but still say the same size, I'd still jump at it.

I get done mid Sept.  and I can't wait to be able to sleep properly without a machine.

I'm glad you got bumped forward because it sounds like you have been waiting a long time for this.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 8/20/11 10:17 am
Congrats again and have a blessed recovery.
I'm 3 days after you.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 10 replies · 42 views