Some stage five questions

Keeves
on 1/9/12 10:02 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I'm four weeks out today, and I'm trying to gently ease into the "no real restrictions as long as you don't act stupid" stage of this diet. So, for example, I'm being careful to try things at home, to avoid any unpleasantness in public bathrooms. And I'm saving bread for much further down the road.

I've gotten lots of warnings to avoid rice for a long time. That makes sense, gien that it is so sticky that it could clog the stoma no matter how well I chew it. But that logic would not apply to crispy rice cakes, would it?

I know the rice cakes are pure carbs, I don't need any lectures about that. But compared to just about any kind of bread, they're relatively low in those carbs. Especially the small and thin rice cake crackers. This would be a great way to have a reasonable facsimile of a sandwich. So...  what have your experiences been like?

ALSO: I have not yet tried any of the yummy-looking protein bars that are available. I know how to read the label nutrition-wise, but I don't know what to look for digestion-wise. Any sort of cookie base would be a warning sign, I suppose, as would chopped nuts. What else should I look out for?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/12 10:07 am - OH
Crunchy items (toasted bread, rice cakes, popcorn, etc.) break up very well, so they almost never cause trouble.

As far as protein bars, what you need to look out for is their taste.  In 4 years I only found ONE that was even reasonably good tasting (and it was pretty high in carbs so I only use it for emergency protein purposes)!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Thumbelina
on 1/9/12 11:20 am - MI
 I like the peanut butter power crunch bars..13 grams of protein...200 cal...10g of carbs..1.22 at Walmart...

myminime
on 1/9/12 11:28 am - Eugene, OR
I look at overall stats when I pick a protein bar. I prefer ones that have more protein than carbs, but those are hard to find. Hopefully 15+g protein, nothing more than 5g of sugar (I don't know if I'll dum*****t, but I figure 5g is as high as I'm testing right now ), and max around 200-250 calories. I figure those are about the stats I'll get from eating a meal if I was to make it.

I picked up the Atkins Advantage Chocolate PB bars at Target because I needed something for breakfast They were tasty for me, and were 240c, 12g f, 22carb (10 fiber), 19pro.

I don't have a problem with sugar alcohols, but depending oh your reactions, you may need to watch those too ..
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/9/12 1:05 pm
Rice cakes being dry and crunchy are pretty easy to eat.  Seems like it should be the opposite but it isn't.  Bread  becomes doughy and is still difficult,  I just don't eat it or even want it any more.

Protein bars early out should be high in protein and low in carbs/sugar.  I bought Pure Protein bars at Sam's club by the case.  18 bars for $15 or something like that. 20 gr. protein.

Quest bars are only sold on-line.  They are low in net carbs (high fiber),  low in sugar and have 20 g. protein.  They come wrapped and look like refridgerated cookie dough.  You unwrap them and microwave them for 15-20 seconds and they turn into a cookie or brownie texture treat.  They are very good but more expensive.  They are about $2/ bar or more plus shipping. You can buy them from Quest or amazon

Winnie