different kinds of protein

Keeves
on 1/15/12 10:10 am - Elizabeth, NJ
What are the different kinds of protein, and how do they stack up against wach other?

Some posters have repeatedly told us that collagen is almost worthless, because it lacks the right amino acids. But what about other kinds of protein?

When we see protein listed as an ingredient, it is almost always either from soy or whey.

Am I correct that the protein in other beans (including peanuts) is basically the same as the protein in soy?

Am I correct that the protein in other animal products (milk, cheese, meat) is basically the same as whey protein?

Is there a conversion from one to the other? Is 10 grams of one about the same as 15 of the other, for example? And if so, which one are they referring to when they say "have this much each day"?

smiley_k
on 1/15/12 10:30 am, edited 1/15/12 10:30 am
So my understanding is that if you are talking supplements for RNY post-ops, Whey is your go to. Because it's derived from milk and is a complete protein (meaning it has all the essential amino acids and that we absorb the full amount of the protein). Some proteins, and I have read the same as you on the collagen proteins, that they are incomplete or other proteins which are meant to be extended release, night time choices and are not fast absorbing. Not taking these types of proteins makes sense to me why they shouldn't be our primary choice because we need to absorb all of the protein as quickly possible as it (the shake) doesn't stay in our pouches long... although that thinking could be false, maybe someone could clarify, it just makes sense for me to think of it in those terms. 

In foods, we can get complete proteins if they are taken from animal sources. Plant sources of protein often aren't complete.

These quotes are from Wikipedia, which isn't always most reliable but was quick and easy access:

"Generally, proteins derived from animal foods (meats, fish, poultry, cheese, eggs, yogurt, and milk) are complete, though 
gelatin is an exception.[1] Proteins derived from plant foods (legumes, grains, and vegetables) tend to be limited in essential amino acids. Some are notably low, such as corn protein, which is low in lysine and tryptophan."

"Complete protein foods that also obtain the highest possible PDCAAS score of 1.0 are certain dairy products (including whey), egg whites, and soy protein isolate."

Hope this helps!

Katie  ♥     

Keeves
on 1/15/12 11:35 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I was going to ask: "Do you're saying that soy is just as good as whey and eggs?" But then I decided to research it myself. Fortunately, smiley_k gave me the perfect way to do it: PDCAAS has its own article in Wikipedia! (click here for it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS).

Here's an excerpt:

A PDCAAS value of 1 is the highest, and 0 the lowest. The table shows the ratings of selected foods.[2][3][4]

1.00 casein (milk protein)
1.00 egg white
1.00 soy protein
1.00 whey (milk protein)
0.92 beef
0.91 soybeans
0.78 chickpeas
0.76 fruits
0.73 vegetables
0.70 Other legumes
0.59 cereals and derivatives
0.42 whole wheat

Now I have some more research to do! (Like for example, where does poultry rank? and: Why does soy beans rank lower than soy protein?)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/12 10:58 pm - OH
And note that, according to one of the collagen protein bullet manufacturers itself, the PCDAAS score of those are .08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bettisima
on 1/15/12 11:43 am
Animal protein (meat) has roughly 8 grams of protein per ounce. Some are better some are worse depending on the fat content of the meet.

Veggie protein (beans) has 9 grams of protein per 1/2 cup.

Milk/dairy protein averages 8 grams of protein per ounce. This is firm cheese, cheddar, swiss, mozzarella. Soft cheeses like cream cheese and cottage cheese are 4 grams or less per ounce. Milk is gram per ounce on average.

Protein powders offer a concentration of protein, which is how you get 23 grams of protein in a scoop. With it being liquid, it is also easier for the bypass patient to take in 8 ounces, since it just flows through the pouch.

Myfitnesspal.com is a great food tracking tool that can help you monitor your
protein intake. There are a lot of name brand items in their database.

Best of luck!
MrsJButler
on 1/15/12 10:49 pm - Canada
I found printable protein guides online, they hang on my fridge and I love them