When were you told about a pre-op diet???

Sherrie P.
on 7/27/12 12:34 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I had my psych/Nut/surgical consult today.

The surgeon did not mention any type of pre-op diet, and I forgot to ask. I was so focused on Lapband removal / revision questions ...

He said the next time I saw him would be at "pre-op" day.  Apparently Duke has you come back and meet with Nut/Psych... anesthesia and the surgeon some time around a week before surgery.

If you were told about a pre-op diet, when did this happen? 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cherokeesage
on 7/27/12 12:37 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I was given written information when I scheduled my surgery.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 12:41 pm - OH
During the pre op nutrition class I had to attend.  Um, that was probably about three months before my surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GraceGirl
on 7/27/12 12:41 pm
At my first consult with surgeon, then again first of 6 visits to nutritionist and then every time I was the assistant at he surgeons office. They went over all procedures and requirements regurarly.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Price S.
on 7/27/12 12:42 pm - Mills River, NC
We had to attend 12 training sessions before our surgery was scheduled.  We were told during those we would have a 4 week Optifast diet after approval, before surgery. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

SoCaPinkLady
on 7/27/12 12:59 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
It was mentioned in our Nutrition class that I had to take months before Surgery but we were told not all Dr's. required it and we would find out more later. I found out at my One on One visit with my Dr. after the surgery was scheduled but it was within a good time frame that I had time to do the liquid diet as recommended. I wasn't given a number to lose, He asked me to try and told me it would make the decision of if I would have it Laparoscopically  or The full blown open up surgery.

Lori                               

L. Matteson
on 7/27/12 1:11 pm
RNY on 07/02/12
I was told at the very first information session I went to. It was with a very large group of people interested in the surgery. They let us know about it EARLY~ 

As far as details about the pre op diet. I would say about 4 months before my surgery.

a_better_life81
on 7/28/12 1:10 am - Concord, NC
RNY on 07/24/12
 I was told at the seminar that I would have to do one. Then again at the NUT apt and then again at my NUT Class... they went over it a million times. Also, when they scheduled my surgery, they sent me an info packet that had all the info for the preop diet in it including when to start it. Duke has a wonderful WLS program, I am sure you will get the info you need very soon. 

mpjones
on 7/28/12 2:01 am
Was told at the informational seminar before I even saw the surgeon--all patients would be on a liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery and 2-3 weeks after surgery.
Amy R.
on 7/28/12 3:44 am
When I got the paperwork from my surgeon that gave me all the info about the surgery and the post op diet.  My "diet" consisted of 10 days of liquid only.

Also, and someone may have already mentioned this, lots of folks don't even have a pre-op diet.  They just have to fast for 24 hours prior to surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 169 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views