How long did you take pain meds after surgery?

Sherrie P.
on 2/10/13 11:01 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I had surgery 4 days ago.  They sent me home 2 days ago with 30 pain pills and the instructions to take 1 every three hours for pain.  That being said, I was on 3 pills ever 3 hours in the hospital... one did not do it on Friday, so I took 2.  

Did you have to call in for a refill?  I have already weaned myself down to 1 pill every 4 hours or so.  But good grief, I feel so much better when I have it in my system.  I have a lot of pain from where they took out my band port and where the drain was.

I don't want them to think I am taking too much, but even at 1 pill every 3 hours, 30 pills is only like 4 days worth.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 2/10/13 11:15 am - OH

I don't remember exactly.  five or six days, maybe?  I did not have to ask for a refill, but if you need one, then call.  And you might as well use them as often as prescribed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 2/10/13 11:21 am

I took my prescription pain meds for a full week on schedule to prevent pain. Week 2 I took regular Tylenol for the pain and that worked. By the end of the second week, I did not need anything else.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

misscelia
on 2/10/13 11:23 am
I'm 5 days post op and I stopped taking my pain meds by the 3rd day.
I don't think you're taking too much if you're just going off of the directions
Missirenee
on 2/10/13 11:33 am - Orient, OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I will be 2 weeks out tomorrow. I took mine pretty much every 4 hours for the first week, then over this past week have weaned off of them. The past two days I have no needed anything except Tylenol. 

~Missy~

I would rather live my life believing there is a God, and die to find out there's not, than to live my life as if there were no God, and die to find out there is ~ source unknown ~ 

lizzyspru
on 2/10/13 11:41 am

after i got out of the hospital (open rxy) i took them for a day then switched to just tylenol

chulbert
on 2/10/13 11:51 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I only took pain meds the day I came home and the following evening.  All in all, very little.

Melyssa S.
on 2/10/13 11:56 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12

Never took any pain meds except for regular strength Tylenol. Even in the hospital I didn't use the morphine pump as it gave me a headache. Everyone is different. Good luck.

HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

lilisasmith3
on 2/10/13 11:59 am
RNY on 01/31/13

I took mine for the first week

RebeccaElise
on 2/10/13 12:34 pm - Quincy, MA

Everyone experiences pain differently. I was sent home w/ 30 count of 2mg Dilaudid tabs. I took half tabs every 4 hours for 4 days and then half tabs 2 doses every night to sleep (laying down was more uncomfortable than any other position) for another 3 days. Then I switched to Tylenol.

As a nurse (and to prevent dependence), I'd suggest taking the single tab for a doses or 2 and see if it works. I understand it didn't work at first, but IME the pain really falls off quickly after the first few days as the swelling goes down. You may also try spacing out the dose gradually.....30 minutes longer the first few times, 1 hour the next few times. Pain meds are supposed to keep you comfortable, not entirely take away the pain, so on a scale of 1-10, if your pain is 4 or less, it's considered well managed. 5 or higher, and you need another dose or a higher dose. Make sense? I'm not saying don't take it, I'm just saying that as you heal, test a little here and there to see of you need to take as much as you were taking at first. All that being said, if you need more, call your doc.

You may also call and check if Tylenol can be taken with your pain med. Each med works a little differently in the body and sometimes Tylenol is more effective for certain types of pain. For instance, about 3 days out of the hospital I had an excrutiating headache that I couldn't ditch. The pain meds did not help my headache. My surgeon's nurse told me I could take Tylenol with my pain med and that did the trick.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 142 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views