watermelon?

Samantha Lightner
on 8/15/13 10:39 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with
Yes or no? I ate some and it's so delicious!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/15/13 10:43 am - OH

Depends on your surgeons's plan, but since you already ate it, it is kind of a moot point, isn't it?

My surgeon allowed watermelon at 2 weeks out, but she also allowed chicken and fish and hard cheeses at 2 weeks out...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kinny09
on 8/15/13 10:44 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Sorta high in sugar, but certainly depends how much you ate, this is the nutritional profile on watermelon (based on about a cup):

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2072/2

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

denaraye
on 8/15/13 9:32 pm - MI

Very cool site - thanks for sharing.

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

angeleigh
on 8/15/13 10:44 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

are fruits allowed by your plan? For mine I could have them as long as they didnt bother me. But not the seeds. I didnt do to much fruit until about 5 months post op just due to being full from protein first. Now I do bananas, oranges, apples, strawberry, and watermelon sometimes as part of my snacks or with meals.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

sarah_durso
on 8/15/13 11:19 am

My surgeon allowed it 2 weeks out. I have it as a treat, so yummy !  Never dumped because of the sugar.

VintageChick
on 8/15/13 11:45 am

No problem with it here. It has some good nutrition plus tons of liquid. I MUST set a limit with it however... I could eat the whole thing myself as it's a slider for me and I really watch the carb intake. It is the ONLY food I've craved since surgery. Most foods have no appeal. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

EternalEx
on 8/15/13 2:23 pm - Canada
Been eating since about 4 weeks out with no problems. For some reason it settles my stomach if i'm feeling sick in the mornings.
longway2go
on 8/15/13 4:41 pm
RNY on 07/26/13
Eating watermelon after rny reminds me of how certain foods would taste so sublime while I was pregnant... I love it so much! I get it whenever I can!
Cherokeesage
on 8/15/13 5:59 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I love fruit and started eating about a month post op.  I eat one or two pieces of fruit almost daily with watermelon being a favorite.  I buy the precut pkg small bowls of fruit so that I don't overeat it.  The only way I can eat Greek Yogurt is to add fresh fruit to it.  You do need to watch the caloric and sugar values.   This is far more of an answer to your question than you asked but since it is a thread,  I'll add this to it  in case other fruit lovers are reading.   In July, a friend and I were discussing the carb creep because she is slowly gaining wt. We had surgery about the same time but she never reached goal.   I suggested she write down everything she eats so we could analyze it and we found that she is eating so much fruit that her caloric and sugar count is really high.  She doesn't dump on fruit and convinced herself that fruit being a good carb was okay to consume in any quantity.  She started choosing fruit over protein about six months post op.  Since she never felt full she slowly ate more and more.  If she ate meat it had to be glazed in some sort of fruit juice like pineapple.  She mainly consumed her protein as  one protein drink with strawberries or peaches blended into it each morning.    She has always had problems with sugar cravings.  This sounds unbelievable but she had worked her way up to consuming a large watermelon, one cantaloupe, one honeydew melon, grapes, peaches, cherries, oranges, bananas, etc. every two days.   She also juices and adds apples to her juice blends.  I'd never get off the toilet.  She made the decision in July to eat no fruit and go back to our basics of protein first and she started losing wt within a couple of days.  She is still fighting sugar withdrawal issues and some constipation.    I am curious to see how her labs come out this month.  She was only taking 2 multis and 2 iron daily.  She figured the iron would make up for the lack of protein in her diet.   Although this doesn't pertain to you enjoying some watermelon, it may hit close to home for someone else.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics