I am 5 weeks post -op and my life has dramatically changed for the better :)

Dcgirl
on 1/20/14 10:51 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi there,

This post is for the pre-ops and the lurkers :) Just a few short months ago, I was one of you.  I was going through the 3-month program, reading this forum every damn day, thinking non-stop about surgery.  Fearful of being under the knife, excited about the prospect of losing weight, nervous about all that was ahead.

On December 2nd, I started my two-week liquid diet.  Man, that was rough!  Day 1...the headache and fatigue!  But every day got easier.  And by the end of the two weeks, I realized I hadn't felt full or lethargic in two weeks, and I felt great!  I had lost 18 lbs in those two weeks.  I felt confident that my liver would be small and out of the way, and although I was scared, I was bravely wheeled into the OR with a positive mindset.

My RNY was a breeze.  Though I have a lot of weight to lose, I am healthy in all other ways.  I was up and walking that night, discharged the following day, had no trouble sipping fluids or sleeping on my sides in my bed or anything.  Surgery was Monday, I went home Tuesday, I was doing some work from home on Wednesday, I walked to the grocery store Thursday, and I went out with friends on Friday :)  Monday I was back in the office.

My surgery was five weeks ago today and I have lost 28 more lbs.  That's a total of 46 lbs!!!  Was it easy?  Hell no.  I am unfortunately NOT one of those people who is just "stuffed" after two tablespoons of food.  I meticulously plan my meals, weigh them on my kitchen scale, stop eating before I am "full", track my calories and protein on MyFitnessPal, and wear a FitBit One and track my steps every day.  I have not had a carb in seven weeks. Coming from someone who would routinely eat pizza and pasta, this is a big deal :)  Yesterday I walked 4.5 miles around the monuments in DC.  Today I put my headphones in and took a 2 mile walk.  Last week I traveled for business and going through two major international airports was a breeze.  My knees no longer hurt!  My face looks significantly thinner.  And people have told me I "dress sassier" (probably because I can wear the clothes that were previously too tight lol).  I think I just hold my head up a little higher.

So my point is, if you're lurking on these forums and you are considering RNY or close to having it, often you read the nightmare stories.  People who can't swallow, who have nausea, who can't lie down...these are generally people who need help and support (and god knows, they deserve it -  my heart truly goes out to people with complications).  But I would consider myself an (early) success story.  And if you are willing to put in the effort, and plan and prepare healthy meals, I think you can feel as good as I do right now, potentially.

I guess I just wanted to share how good I feel. Add me on MyFitnessPal if you want (my diary is open) at eawilson21.  Good luck to you all and feel free to reach out with any questions or fears.  I would love to offer the same support that many of the vets here offered me :)

Happy MLK Day :)

Em

shellw362160
on 1/20/14 11:01 am

Congratulations on your early success!   Oh yeah, about those clothes....yeah, I know about them being to tight which is why ponte knit has quickly become my favortie fabric! 

Continued success to you in your journey and thank you for sharing.  

If diet and exercise were all it takes for weight management, I'd be on Beyonce's payroll as her personal trainer!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/20/14 11:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like you're doing great. Keep up the good work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gypsyqueen5
on 1/20/14 5:18 pm - Seattle, WA

Bravo to you!!!

SeattleSeagirl

RNYGuyPA
on 1/20/14 8:13 pm
RNY on 12/27/13

Great job, I'm happy to hear your story and the early wins so far.  I'm 3+ weeks out and I agree, the clothes fitting win is a big one.  Good luck and thanks for sharing.

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

SteveWebb
on 1/20/14 9:19 pm - NC

Thanks for that post Em.  I will have surgery on Feb. 3, I am ready to get it done and on day 2 of the liquid diet.  It is going ok so far.  I'm determined to stick to the program.  God bless you as you continue the battle against obesity.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Dcgirl
on 1/20/14 11:08 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

The first 3 days are the worst, Steve!  You can totally do this.  Trust me, I went from eating a Chipotle burrito the size of my head for dinner, to having a 110 calorie protein drink for dinner.  You can do it too :)  If you could just feel how good I feel only five weeks out, you would know the liquid diet is so worth it!  Good luck - you are so close to surgery :)

gtrdyfor50
on 1/20/14 9:35 pm
RNY on 10/08/13
Congrats to you so far! This was really nice to read, thank you for posting, Em.

SusanTdesigner
on 1/20/14 10:46 pm - Canada

Congratulations and thank you for writing that post....I am off to surgery for RNY tomorrow morning, and hearing how quickly you were back on your feet made me feel good!

I will keep in touch, thanks so much again!  Susan

Dcgirl
on 1/20/14 11:07 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good luck, Susan!  Go in with a positive attitude - I swear it helped!  I made them give me an anti-nausea patch behind my ear before surgery...the worst would be feeling nauseous after surgery.  It helped immensely.  I hope you are back on your feet quickly.  The sipping and walking really isn't that bad.  You've got this!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views