I tolerate everything.

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 5:25 am - OH

Legumes and lentils make sense to me.  Complex carbs (as opposed to most pasta), fiber and protein.  That's a way better choice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/14 5:35 am

Yep.  And I NEED the fiber!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

takingcontrolguy
on 1/31/14 7:28 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

We had the same surgeon!  I'm in week 10 of Dr. Fitzer's program.  So far since I began the 7th week I have been able to tolerate everything I've tried, from steak to chicken to pasta.  I travel for a living so I've had to very carefully experiment with more restaurant food then most and so far so good.  I focus on the dense protein first then eat some veggies.  I have made a promise to not even try one morsel of dessert or sugar anything, maybe when I hit my goal weight I wil try.  Based on how I can eat pretty much anything so far, I'm probably not a "dumper" but I am going to pretend I am :) Weeks 4-7 were pretty hard for me as I got so sick of the "flaky fish" as the only protein I could have. I don't think I ever want to eat canned tuna or salmon again! LOL

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 8:25 am - OH

Flaky fish was the only protein you could have?  No protein shakes, no yogurt, no cottage cheese, no eggs, no beans?  Nothing for protein but fish?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

takingcontrolguy
on 2/1/14 6:32 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

No - sorry to mislead on that.  I was craving "meat" for lack of a better term, I was eating all of those things but I was making the flaky fish the center of my diet during that period of the program.  Bottom line I could not wait to get to other dense proteins such as chicken, steak, pork, etc.

Ladytazz
on 1/31/14 3:04 am, edited 1/31/14 3:04 am

I'm 3 1/2 years out and I tolerate everything but sugar, which I found out when I accidently had something that I thought was sugar free and wasn't.  Unfortuately I repeated this experiment (not really intentional) a few times, most recently a few weeks ago and found it still to be true.  Since my plan was and is to avoid all processed carbs, sugar and gluten this doesn't bother me in the least and is an added incentive to avoid those things.  I have not intentionally had things with gluten but since I had such intestinal issues after my first surgery and since I ate a ton of things with gluten then I choose to believe that I would have those same issues if I were to indulge in things with gluten.  This may not be true but I choose to believe it and I don't want to test it and find out.  It works for me.

The point is, other then sugar and gluten I eat anything and everything.  I even tolerate things with sugar alcohols in them.  Once in a great while I will be affected but for the most part it does nothing.  I don't mind being able to tolerate things.  It gives me a wide range of choices.  But I still have to make the choices, I can't depend on my body to do so for me.  I have also found that the way I feel physically is directly related to how I eat.  When I eat a diet of high protein, fresh fruits and vegetables and limit the whole grains, but not entirely eliminate them, I feel pretty good.  If I don't eat well I don't feel well.  I choose to feel good.

About your portions.  I have heard around here that just because you can doesn't mean you should.  I would up the protein shakes and cut back on the dense protein, maybe 2 or 3 oz.   To tell you the truth I don't think I can eat 4 oz of meat or chicken to this day.  I went out to lunch with my boyfriend yesterday and got 2 grilled porkchops.  I had maybe half of one and I was full and I had to stop.  I didn't want to but I had to.  I joked to my boyfriend that I was the only person I knew who could have 4  meals from 2 porkchops but it's true.  Of course I can eat a lot more of things like yogurt and beans but the dense protein fills me up fast.  I barely had room for a few bites of my potatoes and brocolli.  The point of the surgery isn't to make you feel stuffed as much as it is to help you be satisfied with smaller amounts of food.  To compensate for my limited capacity I just divide my meals into 2 and eat one half and have the next half as a snack if I need it.  I eat every 2 or 3 hours to keep my blood sugar stable.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong and if you are comfortable and satisfied with 4 oz of meat there is nothing wrong with that.  In what world, pre op, would 4 oz of anything be considered too much?  Like it has been said, though, don't expect to get full signals at this time.  That is why weighing and measuring is so important early on.  One, it keeps us from overeating but it also helps us recognize what a normal serving looks like.  Most of us thought a normal serving in the past was at least 8 oz of meat, a full serving of vegetables or starchy vegetables, bread and dessert and getting used to eating such a small amount takes getting used to.  My eyes are still bigger then my stomach.  I swear when I make myself a meal that I will be able to eat it all and after a few bites I ask myself why I gave myself so much.  You would think I would learn.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 3:48 am - OH

4 oz of  meat at one time seems like kind of a lot to me.  A normal portion of meat is usually considered to be 3 oz. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/14 4:20 am

for now you do.. things may change. trust me... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/14 4:39 am

My plan does give weight amounts.  I am told 1/4-1/2 cup of food now per meal. So I chop up my meat and measure it out in a cup.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/14 4:55 am

oops. does NOT give weight amounts.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views