I tolerate everything.

Showbiz7757
on 1/31/14 1:39 am

I tolerate everything I eat and I almost wish I didn't.

does this seem like a lot of food for someone 6 weeks post-op?

B. Protein shake

l. 4oz baked chicken breat

s. 4oz baked chicken breast

d. 4oz thin steak 

Dcgirl
on 1/31/14 1:56 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

We have the same non-problem problem :)  My doctor told me tolerating everything and feeling good and recovering quickly (as is my case) is actually the NORM and you just don't hear about it as much because people are more likely to seek advice and help if they have problems arise.  I was put on lean protein after two weeks and I had turkey the first day, then egg salad, then chicken breast...and none of it bothers me :(  I wish I were one of those people who is like "Oh I can't possibly eat more than 2 tbsp of food!".

I was initially on 4 oz meals (3 per day, only one afternoon snack if I was doing a lot of exercise) and my NUT suggested smaller meals.  I followed her guidance because I want to maximize my weight loss.  So now I stick to 3 oz of meat and maybe a bite of cheese.  I have not incorporated veggies into my diet yet since I am only eating protein.

I will say, shakes are "slider foods" and will essentially go right through you, leaving you hungrier than eating dense protein would.  I know not many foods have 25 g of protein like a shake does, but maybe I would recommend having egg whites and meat for breakfast and see if that is more filling.  Sometimes I have a veggie burger for breakfast.  Also, follow whatever your NUT says - I see a lot of plans that have snacks, and mine doesn't.  They vary so much!

So yeah, my advice is just maybe cut down the meal size.  I measure everything on my kitchen scale :)  EVERYONE says hunger comes back.  So when I start increasing meal size, I want to be at the smallest meal size possible lol.

takingcontrolguy
on 1/31/14 7:31 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Way to go DCgirl  My story is almost the same as yours so far, I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you.  You are doing better than I am at measuring everything though - I pretty much eye a 1/2 cup portion of everything I eat, dense proteins first with some veggies and the occasional wheat thin if I'm doing chicken or egg salad. 

Mo Diggity
on 1/31/14 2:01 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I was actually able to eat more & not get full at like 6 weeks out than I am at 6-7 months out (which I thought was strange & did not expect to happen). But I learned on here, that you nerves are cut during surgery, which is why you may not feel as full right now as you will in the future. Which is also why it is SO important to always measure your food :)

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/14 2:31 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I am six weeks post-op and on my plan my meals are limited to two ounces of "meat" for 6-7 ounces per day (64-100 grams of protein), 1/4 cup veg, and 1/4 fruit.   I also drink 1 or 2 protein shakes per day, and eat greek yogurt or drink milk twice per day.  I have not found any foods yet that I do not tolerate, though my pouch acted up a little with a hamburger patty leftover - I think it was too dry.  

Good luck!

gtrdyfor50
on 1/31/14 2:35 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I have always measured and still to this day have never had more than 2 oz of meat, or more than 1/2 cup of dense protein. That has always felt like enough for me.

new_me180
on 1/31/14 2:45 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Wow, plans are so different. I'm 13 weeks out and when I went to solids, I'm only supposed to eat 1.5oz of protein at meals and 1oz at snacks. I'm supposed to eat 5-6 times a day. When I get to the maintaince stage, I'm supposed to increase that to 2oz and 1.5oz respectively. My tummy is used to those tiny portions and I feel stuffed. I've been lucky to tolerate all foods as well including rice, pasta, bread as to my plan.

To me it seems like a lot of food but, like I said plans are totally different and if it's on your meal plan, then you should be fine.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/14 2:49 am

I am 5 weeks post op and tolerate everything on my list just fine too EXCEPT mac and cheese!

I didnt think pasta would be a problem but after 6 noodles, I felt like someone had kicked me in the chest and left their foot there.

This is kind of good becasue Mac and cheese was a comfort/trigger food for me. I dont have any in the house (we were at boston market).

Although my surgeon said, "Its not the food, it is HOW you ate it." I am just going to pretend that mac and cheese doesnt agree with me.

However my friends now laugh at me. They say "What is for lunch?  5 bites of yogurt?"

And to this, I smile and say yes!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 3:46 am - OH

Mac n cheese is on your plan at just five weeks out?  Wow.  I don't tolerate pasta well now, and I am five years out.  It feels really heavy in my pouch.  And it does not matter how i eat it.  But why would your surgeon be encouraging high carb, low protein meals like that anyway?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/31/14 4:37 am

Yep. At weeks 4-7 I get mushy foods including mac and cheese, lentils, legumes (e.g. navy beans) and flakey fish.

Right now, I am dreaming of chicken breast...but I dont get to see that until week 7 and beyond.  Too dense.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics