SLEEP STUDY!!! Is it really necessary?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/23/14 1:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

They don't tell you to have a sleep study because they cackle with glee over making people with phobias flip the eff out-- they do it because someone with untreated sleep apnea MIGHT have a serious breathing issue while under anesthesia, stop breathing, and die on the operating table.

Hate to give you something else to worry about, but one night with gunk in your hair (which washes out with ho****er) is NOTHING compared to the risk of not waking up from your revision surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

catalina07
on 7/23/14 4:57 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thank you. 

The Salty Hag
on 7/22/14 11:41 am
RNY on 05/20/13

No body forced me. I was not required to have one. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

LessHumid
on 7/23/14 2:28 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 09/18/14

Dawn dish-washing liquid takes the gunk out with ease.  My program requires 2 sleep studies, on with out a CPAP and one with.  While it's not fun, it's not the worst thing ever either.  Take a benadryl and pee before they hook you up. If you can't manage this, what are you going to do if you wake up in the PACU and you're on a BiPAP or worse yet a vent? 

catalina07
on 7/23/14 4:58 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thanks for the advice on dawn

Honeytwirl
on 7/22/14 5:12 am

Well... I do not snore so it came as a complete surprise to me that I had pretty severe sleep apnea.  Getting a CPAP machine literally changed my life overnight. It immediately gave me more energy. I thought that I would automatically lose weight, too, but that did not happen.  My morning headaches went away though - yea! 

I stopped breathing  a couple of times after surgery, before I got back on my machine. I also "deoxigenated" a few times. It was difficult for the recovery nurses to manage between the oxygen line and the CPAP. Finally, a respiration therapist was able to combine the two and I did fine after that.

So, long story short, I DO think that a sleep study can be very important to having a good surgery outcome.

catalina07
on 7/22/14 10:29 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thank you for that information. I am so glad you were ok!

chulbert
on 7/22/14 5:37 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Sleep studies aren't fun but they aren't really that big a deal.  I think you're overreacting.

That said, you may want to consider taking the following day off work.  I slept so poorly during mine there was no way I could work -- I went home and slept!

catalina07
on 7/23/14 2:00 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thank you for the advice. I feel like I wouldn't be able to sleep well either so I might just take you up on that. 

ladygodiva1228
on 7/22/14 7:13 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It is not the end of the world it is just a sleep study. 

Do you want to have a revision, because the way your getting all upset over something that your insurance may also want makes me think you really don't want one. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active