SLEEP STUDY!!! Is it really necessary?

NHPOD9
on 7/22/14 5:07 pm, edited 7/22/14 5:08 pm

I was just going to post these same sentiments.  I had difficulty breathing after surgery and they knew going in that I had mild/moderate apnea.  Yet, I gather I gave everyone a scare post-op. 

OP, I think I was just as upset about this procedure as you seem to be; I had exaggerated the discomfort I would feel about the test.  However, I also have an anxiety disorder.  Try not to allow your anxiety about this cloud your judgement.  As everyone has said, it truly isn't a big deal (I've had two).  The worst part for me was the comfort of the bed-it was really soft.  I fretted for weeks and in the end, it was easy peasy. No one is there to judge you.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

catalina07
on 7/23/14 3:29 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thank you so much. I was hoping that when I was there I wouldnt feel like I wanted to crawl out of my skin and that it wouldnt be as bad as I assume it will be! Thank you so much for this response. I spoke with the sleep study doctor this morning. he asked me if I had made a decision to go ahead with the test. I told him, "no, the decision was made for me!!!  I will DO it but probably not with a smile." :(   You have been so helpful though. At least I know that I am not the only single person that has worried over this.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/23/14 9:28 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On July 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, catalina07 wrote:

thank you so much. I was hoping that when I was there I wouldnt feel like I wanted to crawl out of my skin and that it wouldnt be as bad as I assume it will be! Thank you so much for this response. I spoke with the sleep study doctor this morning. he asked me if I had made a decision to go ahead with the test. I told him, "no, the decision was made for me!!!  I will DO it but probably not with a smile." :(   You have been so helpful though. At least I know that I am not the only single person that has worried over this.

It's best to go into this with a more positive attitude.  Again, you might want to speak with a therapist about your anxiety.  Do you feel this same level of anxiety about having revision surgery?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

catalina07
on 7/23/14 2:34 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thank you for the advice. i will think about it.

Mary Gee
on 7/22/14 2:18 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sleep studies seem to be a standard requirement.  My insurance required a home sleep test - I had to go to another hospital that offered the home test.  Maybe you can call your insurance company to get information about where you can go for a home study -- for the home study you go to the hospital for a group session where they explain the study and how to do it - you bring the machine home, do the test, and return the machine the next day.  You put a monitor around your chest - no other wires.  

It's unfortunate that WLS requires so many pre-op tests/consultations/appointments, etc.  But when the doctor says jump, I say "how high?"  The surgeons want safe, successful surgeries - and the sleep apnea study provides needed information for the doctor and the anesthesia.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

willspear
on 7/22/14 4:09 pm, edited 7/22/14 4:14 pm
VSG on 06/23/14

Goop in hair and crappy sleep for the night is more invasive than hacking up organs?

maybe I'm missing something. 

In no way shape or form is a team of people watching you. The cameras exist to troubleshoot when they talk to you over the loud speaker and if they had to see what you do if you were moving around a lot during sleep. If you are having more than nominal quantities of apneas the tech might observe you for the period. 

If a team of people were seriously watching just you sleep the test would be like 50grand. 

Honestly sleep studies do suck but if it's a requirement to have surgery it's a requirement. 

Remember bariatric surgery is 100% voluntary  that includes all of the pre op requirements. No one is forcing you but if you want voluntary surgery you need to jump through whatever hoops. 

pebtash
on 7/23/14 12:01 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I had one done a couple of years prior so I am due to have surgery in November they said I didn't need one. But I wasn't to thrilled about having one either but after I was all set up it wasn't that back. I actually slept better that night then I had in the past. They do make you look silly though we took some pictures . Good Luck.

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 3:46 am

I wear a Cpap. I did not look fwd to the study at all. But I actually fell asleep fine. Turns out my apena is Massive!! What a difference actual sleep makes in my life. looking back I probably needed a machine 20 years b4 I got 1. Whether or not I will still need mine after the weight loss is just a wait and see. I sleep even better after my husband got his - haha

I just went to a follow up as part of my ck list for surgery. I asked my sleep lady why the Bariatrics clinic needed me to have a current apt if I was compliant with my machine. More than an insurance requirement, breathing optimally means healing optionally.

So that's what it boils down to. Can you deal with a weird night at the sleep clinic & possibly have to deal with a Darth Vader mask to aid in healing?

TruemansMom
on 7/23/14 3:48 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I have had to have two, dread them and the day after but I totally needed them to get the insurance on board. Plus, I don't want to be that one person who dies because they didn't know. I had sleep apnea! Loathe the Cpap machine but I used it for the required 6 weeks prior to surgery and I took it back as soon as I could! Having the surgery was worth the trial for the tests, believe me.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

catgirl6
on 7/23/14 5:08 am

I had one done and it really was not all that bad. They are in another room and it was only one person monitoring me. My lady was not very friendly. I was able to arrive at bedtime then leave in the morning.