Need some advice - Nausea

Lady_bugg
on 1/22/15 8:34 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

I'm 9 weeks out from RNY.  I've been eating fine for about 4 weeks now.  Eating on plan, with about 2 protein shakes a day.  I had gotten into a good routine of foods that I tolerated well.  But now, for the last week my stomach has really been bothering me.  I'm nauseous a lot.  Things that I have eaten fine now turn my stomach.  I'm hungry - but afraid to eat because of how it makes me feel.  I'm keeping everything down, even though I feel like I want to throw it up, I don't.  I'm also on my first menstrual period since surgey.  Ladies - not sure if that could be having an affect? 

Here is a run-down of how things started and what is bothering me: 

Sunday - Made egg casserole but hubby bought chorizo instead of regular sausage.  Ate a small serving and it sat in my stomach like a rock.  Didn't agree with me. 

Monday - Fine, no problems. 

Tuesday - Brekkie had Greek yogurt, citrus blend with sliced almonds.  Half way through the yogurt and it wasn't agreeing with me.  Threw it out.  I checked the ingredients and see that it had lime juice.  Too much acid? 

So, since Tuesday - everything has been down-hill.  I can force myself to eat and keep it down, but my stomach gets gurgly and the nausea hits.  Protein shakes usually work.  I can usually tolerate almonds. 

Any thoughts?  I'm just so frustrated.  I want to eat - but I'm scared to eat.  I've had to leave work twice this week. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/22/15 8:46 pm

Dehydration, liver - gallbladder issue...

Or...you nerves start healing (just about few weeks post op) and the nausea is your sign for when you full..(your pouch should be no more than 1/4 cup=2oz  -brand new...so anything more than that - starts strea c ing it. And you get the signal. Some of us get runny nose, some - hickups, some - well pick anything...nausea can be it..

Protein shake does not streach the  pouch.. And beside proteins.-  you also getting liquids...(helps with dehydration)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lady_bugg
on 1/22/15 9:27 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Thanks for your input. 

I often get the hiccups as my full feeling, but maybe the nausea is telling me that too.  I've been able to eat one container of yogurt, which has 5 oz.  But, maybe with the nerve healing, I really can't eat that much?  Maybe I should jut be eating half of that container. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/22/15 9:44 pm

I still remember that app 1-2 months post op i had to adjust how much i could really eat.  Yogurt is still slider..but what helped me - was eating 1/2 of portion...wait 10 min - and try to eat the rest. Also. Not sure how much sugars is in the 5 oz of yogurt...i was a dumper, so more than 5 gr of sugar (even natural ) in slider or liquid form would give me nausea - mild sign i was a dumper...(warning before i overdosed  and got real dumping - ugh...)

But with more solid foods - i remmeber that i had too cut my portions to,1/2 . 

I went from being able to eat 1scrambled egg - to a couple of bites before i got "full"... That was frustrating.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lady_bugg
on 1/23/15 12:29 am
RNY on 11/18/14

That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I think my yogurt is about 8gr of sugar. 

hollykim
on 1/22/15 11:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 4:34 AM Pacific Time, Lady_bugg wrote:

I'm 9 weeks out from RNY.  I've been eating fine for about 4 weeks now.  Eating on plan, with about 2 protein shakes a day.  I had gotten into a good routine of foods that I tolerated well.  But now, for the last week my stomach has really been bothering me.  I'm nauseous a lot.  Things that I have eaten fine now turn my stomach.  I'm hungry - but afraid to eat because of how it makes me feel.  I'm keeping everything down, even though I feel like I want to throw it up, I don't.  I'm also on my first menstrual period since surgey.  Ladies - not sure if that could be having an affect? 

Here is a run-down of how things started and what is bothering me: 

Sunday - Made egg casserole but hubby bought chorizo instead of regular sausage.  Ate a small serving and it sat in my stomach like a rock.  Didn't agree with me. 

Monday - Fine, no problems. 

Tuesday - Brekkie had Greek yogurt, citrus blend with sliced almonds.  Half way through the yogurt and it wasn't agreeing with me.  Threw it out.  I checked the ingredients and see that it had lime juice.  Too much acid? 

So, since Tuesday - everything has been down-hill.  I can force myself to eat and keep it down, but my stomach gets gurgly and the nausea hits.  Protein shakes usually work.  I can usually tolerate almonds. 

Any thoughts?  I'm just so frustrated.  I want to eat - but I'm scared to eat.  I've had to leave work twice this week. 

I also say. Dehydration. It can cause wicked nausea. are you getting 64+ounces a day?

Lady_bugg
on 1/23/15 12:39 am
RNY on 11/18/14

I am close - but might be a bit under each day.  I'll up the fluids and see if that helps. 

Lady_bugg
on 1/23/15 12:40 am
RNY on 11/18/14

And, what about coffee?

About 2 weeks ago, I started drinking a daily latte from McDs with sugar free French Vanilla.  Could it be the espresso is too hard on my stomach, or the sugar alcohols? 

STB
on 1/23/15 8:32 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I would say you are eating too much, too fast or not chewing well enough. also, I avoid caffeine and foods need to be very moist. I would go back to some of the tried and true foods for a bit and see if that makes a difference. also, while it probably is related to the surgery, sometimes we get sick and blame it on the surgery. out where I live (new Hampshire) there has been a lot of stomach flu going around. I would make sure you are getting enough fluids. do saltine crackers settle? cheese? omelet?  good luck!

SHARON  

Mybratboys3
on 1/23/15 8:40 am

I'm 5 weeks out, and I've been nauseated from day 1, I FINALLY got the doc to give me a prescription for Zofran ODT. Supposed to help w/ nausea and you take it as needed every 12 hours. You let it dissolve under your tongue. I've not been able to keep much down bu****er and applesauce. I just got the prescription this afternoon so couldn't tell you if it works or not.