Chinese

khunton
on 6/25/15 2:11 pm

Chinese was one of my favorite foods pre-op. Been craving it lately. I was wondering if anyone has found a healthy version of Chinese to cook at home? Or if you go out what do you order? 

Kathyjs
on 6/25/15 2:23 pm

12 years post op and the only Chinese I can eat is soup. I miss it

lynnc99
on 6/25/15 2:36 pm

I steer very clear of it because you never really know what's in it. But if I had to order, it would be just soup and steamed veggies. Nothing with a sauce. 

The Salty Hag
on 6/25/15 2:40 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

As long as you don't get anything with too much sugar or anything breaded, I would think a stir fry would be just fine. 

I make a non-breaded version of General Tso's chicken that is (IMO) yummy. 

General Tso's Chicken recipe

My subs for the recipe:

I use tomato paste instead of ketchup, I don't dredge the chicken in cornstarch, I use hoisin sauce instead of the soy bean paste, and I use a Thai chili-garlic sauce instead of the Sriracha, I skip the peanuts..and obviously...the egg noodles are excluded. 

The sauce will take some extra time to cook down and thicken without the cornstarch to thicken it. If the sauce is a little thin..eh, don't sweat it. That's why slotted spoons were invented, right? 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

tnysgrl27
on 6/25/15 2:45 pm

I have done broccoli shrimp and ask for light sauce it was yummy

Stacy C.
on 6/25/15 5:48 pm

http://wearychef.com/asian-greenbean-turkey-ricebowl/

I havent trired it yet it yet but I bet you could do something like this. Just look at Pinterest, they have tons of stuff!

NYMom222
on 6/25/15 9:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have eaten chinese out. Chicken chow mein has been a good choice for me. I remember with Weigh****chers they said the garlic sauce was OK, so I will get steamed broccolli with chicken or beef and garlic sauce on the side. egg drop soup is good too.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

hl1524
on 6/26/15 3:31 am - Austin, TX

I usually ask them to make me shrimp and veggies with no sauce. 

RNY 8/27/2014

annmarie40
on 6/26/15 4:41 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Google the recipe for "crack slaw" it is delicious, you can use whatever mat and veggies you want. The sauce is what makes it. Low sodium soy and ginger, it is sooo good. I have made it with chicken and beef. I love cabbage so I use a lot of it but my friend does not so she used squash.  It satisfies the Chinese craving without rice or noodles. Even my husband loved it.

lcraver
on 6/25/15 10:46 pm, edited 6/25/15 10:47 pm - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

A lot of the Paleo diet blogs have Chinese recipes. While I haven't tried any, I plan to eventually. But, there is no reason you can't stir fry up chicken, steak or seafood and veggies and make it work. Just go heavy on the protein.  Also, Eggface's blog, The World According to Eggface, has lots of recipes that are Chinese inspired. She also mentioned recently that she found riced cauliflower at Trader Joes that you can use to make "fried rice". Haven't been yet to check it out but also plan to do so.

I have found that when I get a certain food in my head that I have to have, if I google low carb recipes for it, something pops up that will work. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they're not. It is all a game of exploration. And, it's fun if you like to cook. If you don't, now is the perfect time to maybe try to get a mild appreciation for it. I personally have to cook most of my own food to make it work for me.

Also, egg drop soup can be a good go-to... I sometimes have a queasy pouch and soup like egg-drop calms it.  

Good luck!!

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.