Sudden severe fatigue

Gohopchick
on 11/13/15 4:47 pm - United Kingdom

I'm one year post op.  Lost 100 lbs.  Just got my lab work back and everything is great.  Problem is the last couple weeks having sudden drops in energy - where suddenly I feel like the life is just sucked out of me and I have to lie down.  I'm eating protein forward, 6 mini meals a day, approx 1300 cal a day.  No sugar (I'm a dumper), and very low carb.  Hitting my fluid goals.  Wondering what the heck is going on.  Has anyone experienced this?

Maria27
on 11/13/15 5:13 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

What was your B12 level and how much are you taking? I've read and personally found that the B12 blood test does not always pick up deficiencies because blood tests are not a very effective way to measure B12. Twice since surgery I have noticed my energy levels dropping followed by pain in my legs, and both times the problems went away as soon as I started taking more B12. I found that I need 1000 mcg per day in order to keep my energy levels up. 500 mcg per day was not cutting it. I suggest looking up the symptoms of B12 deficiency to see they describe how you are feeling.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

mommomx2
on 11/13/15 5:21 pm

Have you had our thyroid checked? look at those symptoms. 

White Dove
on 11/13/15 6:09 pm - Warren, OH

I was taking a class in the evening and started using 5 hour energy.  That caused me to have a lot of pain in my legs and get very tired the next day.  Check your caffeine intake.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/15 8:28 pm

Could you post the lab results? Do they really test everything? 

Iron? Ferritin?, B1, B6, B12? Etc... 

My iron was ok, plus other blood markers, but my ferritin dropped to 11..at that time the doc called it "normal" but it was very low for me. I feel like deflated baloon when my ferritin is below 30, or my B12 below 800.. So normal sometimes is too low to feel good. Low normal may be enough to be alive,but not enough to live well..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 11/14/15 12:59 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I echo the comment above to be sure you are getting a bariatric lab panel and not the typical panel done... Ferritin and B12 are often not included on those and certainly could be a factor... really could be a ton of reasons... perhaps you need more carbs, blood sugar drop, vitamin deficiency, sleep, stress, hormonal, thyroid, blood pressure... I'd make an appointment and get a work up. 

Once a year (at least) Recommended Annual Lab Work For Post Bariatric Patients 

* Vitamin A
* Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxal phosphate level)
* Vitamin B-12 level
* Vitamin E
* Vitamin D, 250H
* Copper
* Calcium
* Magnesium
* Phosphorous
* Zinc
* Folate
* Prealbumin/Total Protein/Albumin
* Iron/TIBC, Ferritin, Transferrin
* CBC (Complete Blood Count), Hemoglobin and Hematocrit
* Chem. 7 (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel)
* Liver Panel: SGOT/SGPT, Alk Phos, T/D Bilirubin
* Cholesterol/Triglyceride Levels
* Hemoglobin A1C level (if diabetic before surgery)
* DHEA
* TSH,T4 (required if have thyroid disease)
* PTH

Congrats on the -100!! Hope it's a quick fix and you are feeling 100% again soon.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

finechocolate
on 11/14/15 2:53 pm - Ayer, MA

Hello Everyone and Gohopchick

This is my first time posting on here. I've been a member but have just read post until tonight. I hope it post ok. I will try to add pictures and other info. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2007 and have lost 115 lbs.

I agree with other post that it could be your iron. It could also be low blood sugar. I happen to have had both (anemia and hypoglycemia). They can both be dangerous but low blood sugar especially. In addition to fatigue, do you start to sweat or shake? Get confused? These are symptoms that you may be hypoglycemic (have periods of low blood sugar). I did and didn't know what was wrong until I almost passed out one day and hubbie had to take me to ER and my blood sugar was 30!! Normal blood sugar after meals should be around 90-110 (give or take). Please check it out! I read in one of the articles here that about 20% of us that have had gastric bypass may have this condition.   You can get a blood sugar monitor from CVS or WalGreens  without a prescription. I bought one but now that I know what the problem is when I start to shake or sweat I eat a couple of glucose tablets that I keep on me at all times. 

As far as iron level I was tired all the time and had no energy and when they thought of turning back my comforter and removing decorative pillows from bed exhausted me I knew something was wrong!! I went to my doctor and found out I'm anemic (low iron) and now take iron supplement. It was like magic! I had energy and was not so burned out at the end of the day! I hope this helps!

Mathew M.
on 11/14/15 2:54 pm

I was experiencing something very similar. All my lab numbers looked fine but I would get these bouts of 0 energy.  For me it turned out to be low blood pressure. I had been taking medication for my blood pressure and with the weight loss it was actually making me go low.  But it might not show up when they take the routine blood pressure when you get to the office. They did tests with me where they would test my blood pressure sitting and then have me stand up and retest it. Also laying down and getting back up. This revealed that my blood pressure was dropping very rapidly, causing me to feel weak and faint. Easily fixed be takinh me off those bp meds.  

Might be something to consider and check.

Hope you feel better.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

kerbear1969
on 11/14/15 7:48 pm - MD

I've felt fatigued since day 1 and still am.  I am getting vitamins but still so tired.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

Most Active
Recent Topics