Confession of pre op diet

The Salty Hag
on 5/30/16 6:49 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

You need to nip this in the bud-now. If the shakes are that awful, talk to your surgeon about getting another kind. 

I truly believe the pre-op diet is more a test of compliance than anything. The surgeon wants to see if we can tough it out with a very limited diet. 

If you cheat now, you might cheat after too...and that can have detrimental consequences for a post-op. 

So stop it. It ends now. 

To quote my favorite little green fella: Do. Or do not. There is no try. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 7:16 pm

Yes it stops now.. the difference is they remove a hunger hormone and we have a smaller stomach after.. there is nothing but mental keeping us on a path before surgery.. im a very strong person but food gets the best of me.. hense why I'm having a life changing surgery,  i didnt get obese overnight and going on nearly a starvation diet overnight isnt just going to change me 100 percent mentally either.  HOWEVER.. tomorrow is a new day and i will be better :)

ladygodiva1228
on 5/31/16 5:30 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 31, 2016 at 2:16 AM Pacific Time, Kelley425 wrote:

Yes it stops now.. the difference is they remove a hunger hormone and we have a smaller stomach after.. there is nothing but mental keeping us on a path before surgery.. im a very strong person but food gets the best of me.. hense why I'm having a life changing surgery,  i didnt get obese overnight and going on nearly a starvation diet overnight isnt just going to change me 100 percent mentally either.  HOWEVER.. tomorrow is a new day and i will be better :)

Oh your in for a big surprise.  They do not remove the hormone and yes the stomach is smaller, but there  have been many, many people who have regained all their weight and more after WLS.

You need to seek out a good therapist now before surgery or you will have a very hard time post op.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kelley425
on 5/31/16 8:35 pm

Im a very strong person and you know nothing about me or who i see or talk to, this is a support group not a put down session or telling me who i need to see or saying anything about failure is kind of how you put it, im not even one to comment on anything negitive but your post definitely hit a spot saying a need to seek a good therapist or ill have a hard time, there were so many people on here that were truthful but said some very motivating things.. thats why we are on here, they were so motivating that ive not cheated again one single time since posted.. and i listen to my surgeon and the process she explained i will be having.. but thanks. And for those that gained all there weight back and more thats unfortunate for them i refuse to be one of those people but again you dont know me and if you did you will know how much of a determined motivated person i really am.. i wad having a hard time with this "starvation" diet.. WE ARE HUMAN. So with all due respect you dont need to tell me i need to seek a therapist A GOOD ONE at that nor what kind of time im going to have afterwards. 

ladygodiva1228
on 6/1/16 1:30 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 1, 2016 at 3:35 AM Pacific Time, Kelley425 wrote:

Im a very strong person and you know nothing about me or who i see or talk to, this is a support group not a put down session or telling me who i need to see or saying anything about failure is kind of how you put it, im not even one to comment on anything negitive but your post definitely hit a spot saying a need to seek a good therapist or ill have a hard time, there were so many people on here that were truthful but said some very motivating things.. thats why we are on here, they were so motivating that ive not cheated again one single time since posted.. and i listen to my surgeon and the process she explained i will be having.. but thanks. And for those that gained all there weight back and more thats unfortunate for them i refuse to be one of those people but again you dont know me and if you did you will know how much of a determined motivated person i really am.. i wad having a hard time with this "starvation" diet.. WE ARE HUMAN. So with all due respect you dont need to tell me i need to seek a therapist A GOOD ONE at that nor what kind of time im going to have afterwards. 

Starvation diet?  Ha.  That is just a myth. 

I have been on OH for 10 years and seen it all.  You say your motivated, but you couldn't even get through the pre-op without making excuses and not following the plan. 

Those of us who have succeed do see a therapist after surgery because the surgeon only does surgery on our stomach not on our brains.  If you think your going to succeed with just being motivated you are in for a big wake up call.  Those cravings and excuses are real and they will take over your brain. 

Good Luck because you are going to need it.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/16 8:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I see zero put downs here-- just some facts based on MANY observations from the forums here.

MANY posters here work with therapists to address their food issues. That's just a general observation. Surgery works on our stomachs, but not on our heads. 

Surgery reduces ghrelin production, but does NOT completely eliminate it. Some folks find that physical hunger does not go away completely, or all. That's a medical fact.

There have been LOTS of stories here about post-op regain. It DOES happen, we've seen it, and it's not out of the realm of possibility for anyone here.

If you go off on others who share their honest observations, you're setting yourself up for trouble.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/4/16 8:15 am

"Im a very strong person and you know nothing about me..."

Actually you are NOT a strong person, if so, why cant you follow directions and do the pre-op?

Because you are self-indulgent and food addicted. Your behavior isnt that different from any addict.

Your behavior indicates you really DONT WANT the surgery. In the very least, you DONT WANT to be successful. You are sabotaging yourself before you even begin!

Today's excuse is: the protein shakes are gross. Rather, you should be proactive and call the surgeron/surgeons support starff and ask about a replacement. But then you couldnt whine and have a scapegoat, could you?

After surgery: the excuse will be "I have children and a family that doesnt want to follow the diet and their food is more tempting" Your family will probably be the scapegoat.

The reality is, you are the captain of your own ship. Pick YOU for once, and quit cheating.

Quit being addicted. figure out what you want, and prioritize.

Kelley425
on 6/4/16 8:52 am
The Salty Hag
on 5/31/16 9:34 am, edited 5/31/16 2:36 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The hormone may be reduced, but it's not removed.. I would not count on that to keep me from overeating. I didn't count on it. I had to put those issues behind me before my surgery, or I knew I'd never get to goal.

And I agree, a very limited calorie diet isn't going to change your head...and neither does RNY. We can not depend on the surgery to cure us. We have to do that work ourselves. It's why counseling, both pre and post op, can be so beneficial to us. We have to fix our heads, otherwise...we fail.

I hope today has been a much better day for you.  

Edited for research purposes.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Kelley425
on 5/31/16 8:41 pm

And the way you put that is very helpful.. telling me i need to seek a good therapist or ill practically fail is not.. there is no doubt in my mind ill do great... and yes WAYYYY better today not ONE CHEAT! i got this and it was helpful talking to the helpful people on here to get me in line.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 162 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views