9 days post op and hungry

Kelley425
on 6/17/16 8:25 pm

Ok, so is it strange that im 9 days post op and feel like i dont get "full" im still on full liquids but just want everything i went through 7 days wanting nothing.. whats happening??? Is this normal? Is something wrong?

karenp8
on 6/17/16 8:45 pm - Brighton, IL

Right after surgery there is swelling present so you don't feel like eating. Once the swelling goes down and you feel better your mind begins to tell you you need to eat. We've spent years eating far more than we needed to to be healthy,hence why we ended up here. You won't have a full sensation on liquids as they go right through your pouch like water through a funnel. We no longer have a pyloric valve to keep them in. Also nerves have been cut so that is why measuring is so important in the beginning stages. Once you get to dense solid foods like regular meat you will definitely feel satisfied. Feeling full is not really the goal after surgery. If I feel full I've eaten too much. It takes time to retrain our minds and to format new habits,but if you hang in there you will be amazed at the results!

mschwab
on 6/17/16 11:32 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Hunger at this stage is generally head hunger. You don't need to eat.  You want to eat.  Totally normal. The surgery was easy.  The head stuff is not.  This is a total behavioral change.  You can no longer chase that "full" feeling that gave so many of us comfort. You should be eating the amount on your surgeon's plan, and then stopping.  There is no eating until "full" on the liquid stage.

You will need to find a way to deal with head hunger. Do a search on this site for head hunger  and learn from the people that came before you. You will find many ideas that might work for you.  

Congratulations on taking this courageous step towards health.  If you do the work, you will be fine.  This is an amazing journey. Relax and enjoy it.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

marias14
on 6/18/16 4:03 am
RNY on 06/09/16

I know what you mean. I'm at 8 days post op and my stomach or pouch never seems full. I decided to try 2 oz of protein shake in the morning and then again at noon and it really helps me not have that empty feeling.  My surgeons office called me yesterday to check on me and I told them I started doing this little amount of protein shake and they were totally good with that.

JaxLiving
on 6/18/16 5:40 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I definitely felt the same way when I was on the liquid phase, and it worried me terribly!  I am now three weeks post-op, and in the pureed phase, and things are so much better! You should also try to get in as much protein as possible. It helped me to drink protein shakes. Don't worry! You've got this!!!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

lking
on 6/18/16 8:53 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

The 2 week full liquid stage was the worst of all for me.  Thank goodness for protein shakes and chicken broth from my nearby Chinese resturant!  The soft food stage was such a welcome relief when it finally arrived.

To get me through the head hunger during the full liquid stage, I did jigsaw puzzles.  They helped keep my mind occupied and my hands busy.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.