Needing some support.

MarieCeeJay
on 10/16/16 11:40 am

Happy Sunday everyone I need some advice on this if you've had this or something similar please tell how you dealt with it. THANKS

Okay, the background is that I can not pass solid stool - haven't for over a week now.

I'm 9 years out from RnY GB. I lost a lot of weight, but not to my goal. I maintained and then regained nearly to my pre-op weight.  During my first year post-op I had a bunch of intestinal issues, but then they 'fixed' themself and since then I only get constipated when pregnant.

The details are that nearly three weeks ago I decided to get 'right' with my eating & exercising. I did the '5dpt' and my pouch is great still. I purchased my vitamins and protein and some exercise stuff. After about 2 weeks I noticed that I wasn't having daily bowel movements. Prior to this (when eating unhealthy and not exercising) I was having a bowel movement daily. I started on stool softeners. After three days of no BM, I used Mira-lax. I also tried freshly made ginger/lemon/turmeric tea (as I was having a LOT of gas by this point). Nothing. 2 more days of Mira-lax, stool softeners and the tea and I tried an enema. NOTHING!!! With every 'potion' I tried, I'd get plenty of upper abdomen gurgling, movement and belching; but no solid stool would pass through. That same day I tried Psyllium husks capsules and a suppository laxative and later that night I had a bottle of the magnesium citrate. All of the weeks I've drank no less than 80 oz of water each day, some days I've had more. 

SOoooo... The pain is not unbearable. The biggest problems are the belching, the fullness of my abdomen is causing me to feel so full I don't even want liquids now AND I have the urge to have a bowel movement, but when I sit or squat (I've tried it all by now), nothing but runny liquid (almost like urine) passes out as stool.

Yesterday I spent a few hours at a local ER. The Dr. order 2 x-rays which showed impacted stool in my lower area (but not low enough to reach with his fingers when he tried). He also saw no internal or external hemorrhoids. He prescribed more Mira-lax, another liquid -oil type, and the pysllium husk capsules (in lieu of Metamucil). If I still don't have a solid BM after 4 days, return to ER or see my provider. The ER Dr said that my combination of high protein, no fiber/carbs plus the introduction of iron supplements led to slow, sluggish and then impaction of my bowels. I don't disbelieve him, only am worried that it is something more. The high impact 'cleansers' I've taken over the course of a week should have loosened and pushed through any impacted stool. I've released nothing!!!!!!

Right now I'm afraid. I am worried that something is wrong with my intestine and that it isn't actually blocked by feces. I'm worried that no one will find out what is wrong with me until it's too late because I'm not being seen by a Bariatric Dr. I've been researching local Bariatric Drs. and intended to call 2 of them first thing in the morning. I was hoping they'd perform tests that would allow them to see into my 'system' better than the ER x-rays displayed for that Dr. But first, I've got to get one of them to see me as their patient.

Meanwhile, I've been having the tea, the water and I'm a bit hungry, but frightened to eat something solid because I can't pass things out of me.

Please, please send me some info.

Marie.

Karen R.
on 10/16/16 12:37 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Have you spoke with the surgeon that did your surgery?

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

MarieCeeJay
on 10/16/16 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, I had my surgery in another country when we were stationed with the military there. Once back in the US I never established care with a bariatric provider.  I have been a 'ghost' from the medical community outside of major injury or illness.

Patty R.
on 10/16/16 12:51 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Good for you to re-gain control!!

I'm still too new to give you veteran advice, but a few things I know may help.  Products like Metamucil need lots of fluids with them to be helpful.  The products you used are the more gentler ones, but stronger ones haven't been suggested by the ER doc so don't go stronger unless you are following a doctors advice.  I personally use Miralax in my morning coffee; it's what works best for me.  I would try warm/hot liquids with any of the meds he suggested and lots of walking but not too far from a bathroom. You will go, and go and go once things get going!

I hope you feel better soon!!

MarieCeeJay
on 10/16/16 3:27 pm

Pat,

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it. I am hoping to get this resolved. I have sincerely missed my 'plan' yesterday and today. I did try walking today but honestly I just feel physically drained and weakened.

Since you are a newbie you can get out your memo and take notes so that you don't follow in my bad footsteps.

Stay encouraged in your WLS journey and best success to you!!

Marie.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/16/16 3:03 pm

Ugh.. Sorry. Been there done that. 

I had a severe constipation.  I decided to do a week of detail colon cleance.  I uses miralax equivalent (Costco or Sam's Miralax equivalent) . 

I went in a 1 week liqud only diet. I took. Capfulls of Miralax equivalent 2 times a day...for 7 days I was surprised how much solid waste came out if me at the end of a week.  But eventually I got clean. 

I now take 2-3 capfulls a days. Every 2-3 weeks I take some extra..sometimes I get clean in 12 or  24 hours.. But sometimes it takes 48 hours to get clean... If that happens- I know I was constipated. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MarieCeeJay
on 10/16/16 3:21 pm

Thanks H.a.l.a. B.

Oh, I am sorry that you experienced that too!

A week long liquid diet sounds like a good idea.

I'm going to get some liquid protein at the grocer's tomorrow. For tonight I liquefied/pureed some cooked chicken in a broth. It was nasty and hurt after I drank a few spoonfuls so now I'm just drinking more tea.

Ooh, it's not even actual WLS stuff, it's from the gut to the butt that I'm struggling with. Uugghh

Marie.

Ladytazz
on 10/16/16 7:16 pm

This is exactly how it is for me.  Two capfuls of Miralax daily and every few weeks a complete cleanse.  Usually half a bottle of MOM.

I have bowel issues and a tendency to obstructions so I cannot let it go.  Even one day without going puts me at risk of another obstruction and I really don't want to spend the week in the hospital again.

Fortunately it's been a year since my last hospitalization and my regiment seems to be working for me.  If it weren't for Miralax (plus stool softeners and lots of fiber) I don't think I would ever have a bowel movement.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MarieCeeJay
on 10/17/16 8:32 pm

Thanks LadyTazz.

I'm still plugging it all down today.

Marie.

White Dove
on 10/16/16 3:28 pm - Warren, OH

You might want to stop the protein until this clears out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends