Happy National Coffee Day! Let's talk about the brew o' the gods

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/29/17 7:28 am, edited 9/29/17 7:31 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Happy National Coffee Day! I know..it is just a weird quirky holiday that once a year calendar makers remind us of but it is COFFEE!

Pre RNY I was really distressed by the fear that I might not be able to have coffee after surgery. I discussed it with my RNY team and they said most folks are able to have coffee without complications after a while but it was possible coffee might not ever be for me after. No way to know until you see what your body does. I think I worried more about coffee than anything else on the restrictions list. Today I celebrate that I can enjoy coffee AND be successful! Yay! If I could never have had coffee again I still wouldn't regret my RNY but MAN OH MAN am I happy that I can have my beloved Joe.

Right after surgery I discovered that plain water makes me nauseous. To this day it still does. I can do sparkling water some but honestly I drink mostly coffee. For the first 3 months after surgery I couldn't drink coffee (it made me miserable and hurt my pouch). Months 3 - 6 it got better. I started to drink hot tea and decaf coffee. By 6 months out I was able to enjoy my old friend once again as long as it was black. At about 9 months I added back half and half and have been doing great since.

Right away when I got back to coffee drinking proper I decided I would simply enjoy my coffee. I have tracked zero coffee in MFP and never count it in my daily logs. It doesn't even get listed on my daily menus. I figure it is simply background and consistent so no sense in stressing about it. Even on the days where I was fretting over every bite and calorie I let myself just love coffee. It is a core value for me and little freedoms and self love are sometimes more important than macros.

I drink my coffee with half and half and no sweetener at all. I drink it all day and evening. I count it as part of my fluid intake for the day. I asked my RNY doc about it and he said it counts as fluid though water would be better.

I heart COFFEE!

What sorts of WLS coffee tricks and tips have you discovered? How do you do your brew? Decaf? Regular? Sweeteners? Espressos? What is your go to?

~Elizabeth the Caffeinated

Edited: OH cut off the post...weird. I think I fixed it now.

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/29/17 8:20 am, edited 9/29/17 1:21 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I fell in love with coffee post-WLS! I always drank a cup or 2 in the am to wake up but it was just okay. Now I LOVE it! I also don't track it because it is a constant. I usually use coffee-mate sugar free French vanilla and Splenda (but use half and half or cream when I get coffee other places).

Oh, and I drink it caffeinated before noon and have a cup of decaf later if I'm feeling hungry between meals (it curbs the hunger).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/29/17 8:52 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Oh my goodness! I am so glad I am not the only one that doesn't track it. Thank you! Glad to know I am not alone! Big hugs

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/30/17 3:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I think we are okay just considering it "fuel"!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ScottAndrews
on 9/29/17 8:21 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I did decaf for the first month and then I asked my surgeon if I could resume the caffeine. He looked at me as if to say " Why the heck did you stop in the first place?"

That was my own personal day to celebrate coffee.

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/29/17 8:49 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Some centers are super strong on the warning against coffee EVER again after RNY... some say it is ok day one post surgery. Another one of the many inconsistencies we face as a WLS community. Doctors don't agree so how to know what to do, right?

pammieanne
on 9/29/17 8:41 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I was a decaf person long before I even got overweight, let alone had surgery. I'm super duper sensitive/allergic to caffeine, so it's like in my brain to have decaf...

But... after surgery, my love for coffee blossomed into something HUGE!

Now, I buy fresh beans, am very particular on the beans I get... I grind them fresh for each serving (which is usually a crazy amount), and I drink it probably 5 times stronger than I used to. It's almost like wine to me... I can taste the different flavors of each bean in every sip. It's borderline crazy.

I got a Ninja coffee maker for Christmas, and that thing changed my coffee life. I now make lattes with Fairlife, regular strong brew with half and half, and have a plethora of both Torani and Skinny girl SF syrups lining my countertop. There are 3 different bags of beans in my possession at the moment. During AMAW last time I even enjoyed my coffee with no creamer/milk at all... that didn't stop me one bit.

Coffee saves me night after night from snacking on things I shouldn't be having... I make up a delicious latte (sometimes I do add my whipped cream that haunts me LOL) and I sip on it, hot or iced almost every night.

I my coffee so much more after surgery!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/29/17 8:44 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Ninja eh? Hmmm...I have seen those and wondered how well they worked. Might be adding this to my wish list!

pammieanne
on 9/29/17 9:36 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

All I'm gonna say is... it belongs on your Wish List... for sure.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

babsinga
on 9/29/17 8:56 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

I LOVE COFFEE!!!! I switched to decaf post surgery but now I do half and half once in a while. It is a natural diuretic if caffeinated. However, some coffees are high on the acid and make my tummy hurt. Still in the process to try to find a smooth yet rich coffee my tummy can tolerate. Any suggestions?

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Most Active